Windows 10: Cannot remove efs encryption from files

Discus and support Cannot remove efs encryption from files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I wanted to test how exactly efs works, I needed simple encryption for single folder with its files inside, not whole drive/volume encryption like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SendBobosAndVegane, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Cannot remove efs encryption from files

So I wanted to test how exactly efs works, I needed simple encryption for single folder with its files inside, not whole drive/volume encryption like most programs do

I got into the folder's properties > advanced and checked the encrypt data checkbox, i picked folder + files inside. Then went into cmd and used

cipher /k f: with my folder location

and got the notification on taskbar to make a backup so I did with the default

Include all certificates in the certification path if possible; Enable certificate privacy

Added password and changed encryption to aes256, gave it filename and the .pfx file succesfully exported. Now I went into the manage user certificate snap-in,personal certificates and exported every thing from here that had my user name and then deleted them from snap-in to test if the encryption works. I went into the encrypted folder and clicked few random images, they opened perfectly fine, but little did I know they were just stored in temp or something, because NOT ALL files were accessible. So now I wanted to remove the encryption from the files by unchecking the 'Encrypt contents to secure data' box in properties of the folder, of course it failed, I got 'The specified file could not be decrypted', so I went to install ALL the backup certificates and tried to decrypt again and got same error. I went to check the encrypted file's encryption details and there is tab of users that can access this file, there is exactly my username and computer + certificate thumbprint. Now I went into the snap-in again searched for certificates with intended purpose:efs and they have the same tumbprint as the file and I still cannot open the files. Am I missing something? The files weren't that important, I still got most of their thumbnails, but these took a while to collect so would be nice to get them back lol

submitted by /u/SendBobosAndVegane
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SendBobosAndVegane, Jun 21, 2020

2. Win 10 pro EFS Encrypting File System Problem (Dell)

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I suggest you to start the Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Search for Encrypting File System (EFS) Service.
    • Double click on Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and click on
      Start button.
    • Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to
      Automatic.
    If the issue still persists then, I suggest you to post the same question in TechNet forum for further assistance with this issue. Follow the below link to post your question in TechNet forum.

Technet forums

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jun 21, 2020
  3. Can I recover encrypted files with EFS without having key.pfx file ?

Hi Michael,

The Encrypting File System (EFS) is a built-in encryption tool for Windows. It is used to encrypt files and folders on your computer. You can reverse the encryption to access your files again. To decrypt folders, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the folder or file, then click Properties.
    • Click the General tab, then click Advanced.
    • Uncheck the Encrypt contents to secure data checkbox.
    • If you are decrypting folders, select the option Apply changes to this folder, subfolder and files.
    • Click OK, then click OK again to exit the window.
    Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Johann Eva, Jun 21, 2020
  4. Meisha Win User

Cannot remove efs encryption from files

Confused about EFS encryption

EFS encryption has never been anything but trouble for me (and probably for most people), and I would love to be able to turn it off completely. I followed the steps on this page:
    Disable Auto Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Windows and I'm wondering how free I am from encryption now. The note says the system will still encrypt when copying files, and I'm only safe from encryption when moving files. I'm not sure if that means my system will continue to encrypt a file every time I copy it, or if I'll be free of the problem now. Could anyone please tell me in which circumstances my system will continue to encrypt my files? Thank you for your help!

Meisha, Jun 21, 2020
Thema:

Cannot remove efs encryption from files

1. Cannot remove efs encryption from files - Similar Threads - Cannot remove efs

2. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  3. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  4. how to remove EFS encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to remove EFS encryption: i lost EFS private key. how i recover my data plz help me. my system is windows 10. my all data is encrypted. plz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-efs-encryption/c69709b2-ee70-4cb2-9b9b-5b7eef662432
  5. how to remove EFS encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to remove EFS encryption: i lost EFS private key. how i recover my data plz help me. my system is windows 10. my all data is encrypted. plz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-efs-encryption/c69709b2-ee70-4cb2-9b9b-5b7eef662432
  6. how to remove EFS encryption

7. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  8. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  9. EFS encrypted files

10. copying EFS files encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    copying EFS files encrypted files: Hello,i am studying for the md-100 exam and came across this posthttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-copying-moving-files/a013bd25-fca9-475c-a4aa-15b8e2de3b51Here it states that any user can move encrypted files on the same drive.However ik tested this...