Windows 10: Cannot remove group from folder security

Discus and support Cannot remove group from folder security in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi all, First-time poster here. I am administrating the server where I work now and am attempting to restrict user access to specific folders. We use... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Tanuki, May 21, 2018.

1. Tanuki Win User

Cannot remove group from folder security

Hi all,

First-time poster here. I am administrating the server where I work now and am attempting to restrict user access to specific folders. We use a ReadyNAS Pro 2, which has a configuration for user and group accounts. Everyone's assigned to the same group.

To restrict permissions to a folder, I have attempted to navigate to it in File Explorer (Windows 10), right-click on the folder, go to Properties, and click on the Security tab, where I see the groups and users with assigned permissions to that folder. By default, it shows two groups called "Everyone" and the main group configured on the ReadyNAS, as well as what appears to be a user with the name of the Share as defined in the ReadyNAS admin panel. I click on the Edit button, add myself as a user with "Full Control" permissions, and remove the groups that were there before.

However, when I click "Apply", one of two things happen. Either I get a error message that says,"An error occurred while applying security information to: [folder path]. Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied" OR, with other folders, instead of the error message, the groups I deleted is repopulated.

Can someone please advise what I could be missing? I have no formal training with network administration, and this very well could be a novice-level question. But so far, I have not been able to find an answer through my normal means of Googling.

Thanks in advance!
    Michael

:)

Tanuki, May 21, 2018
  2. Alexcs165 Win User

Folder group removal from This PC

I want to remove the folders group from My PC and not show anyting else that the partitions and the drives. How can I do this?

Alexcs165, May 22, 2018
  3. Folder Permissions Remove System

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let me answer your query on Windows 10.

Please be informed that you cannot remove the system entry, However you can add/remove permission for a particular user.

The Group or user name section lists all the accounts on the computer. If you want to prevent a user to accessing the folder, you may deny/remove all permission for that particular user.

The system account and the administrator account (Administrators group) have the same file privileges, but they have different functions. The system account is used by the operating system and by services that run under Windows.

I suggest you not to remove permissions for SYSTEM entry.

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, May 22, 2018
Thema:

Cannot remove group from folder security

1. Cannot remove group from folder security - Similar Threads - Cannot remove group

2. Cannot remove child account from Microsoft Family Group

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot remove child account from Microsoft Family Group: We have 2 accounts setup for a child in our Family group and are not sure how this has happened. We are trying to remove the duplicate account but get a message saying:Family members under statutory age need an adult's consent to join a family group. Only the adult that...
  3. Cannot remove child account from Microsoft Family Group

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot remove child account from Microsoft Family Group: We have 2 accounts setup for a child in our Family group and are not sure how this has happened. We are trying to remove the duplicate account but get a message saying:Family members under statutory age need an adult's consent to join a family group. Only the adult that...
  4. Cannot remove child account from Microsoft Family Group

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot remove self from family group

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot remove self from family group: I cannot remove myself or the other organizer from the family group. I have no option to remove them or myself as an organizer or remove consent either. The only option I get for myself or the other organizer is to remove from family group, but when I attempt to remove from...
  6. Cannot remove self from family group

Cannot remove self from family group: I cannot remove myself or the other organizer from the family group. I have no option to remove them or myself as an organizer or remove consent either. The only option I get for myself or the other organizer is to remove from family group, but when I attempt to remove from...
  7. child removed from family group

in Windows 10 Gaming
    child removed from family group: My son and I both got an email from MS saying, "You were removed from your family group" in my case, "your child was removed". Neither of us did anything to remove him from the group. There is no explanation from Microsoft. Any idea why this happened?My concern is the someone...
  8. child removed from family group

child removed from family group: My son and I both got an email from MS saying, "You were removed from your family group" in my case, "your child was removed". Neither of us did anything to remove him from the group. There is no explanation from Microsoft. Any idea why this happened?My concern is the someone...
  9. Cannot Remove Read-Only from Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Remove Read-Only from Folder: I can't remove read-only from a folder. I am the owner of that folder and when I apply the changes it back to read-only. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-remove-read-only-from-folder/ec39ccf0-5dfc-4e6a-8dff-ef4596a83cef"
  10. Cannot remove a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot remove a folder: Hello, Recently I had some remote assistance to my computer, after all finished, I found in the program files directory a folder named "CMAK". I am trying to remove it but nothing works, not even in command prompt as admin. Each time I touch it, in the task manager...