Windows 10: Cannot remove group from folder security

Discus and support Cannot remove group from folder security in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi all, First-time poster here. I am administrating the server where I work now and am attempting to restrict user access to specific folders. We use... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Tanuki, May 21, 2018.

1. Tanuki Win User

Cannot remove group from folder security

Hi all,

First-time poster here. I am administrating the server where I work now and am attempting to restrict user access to specific folders. We use a ReadyNAS Pro 2, which has a configuration for user and group accounts. Everyone's assigned to the same group.

To restrict permissions to a folder, I have attempted to navigate to it in File Explorer (Windows 10), right-click on the folder, go to Properties, and click on the Security tab, where I see the groups and users with assigned permissions to that folder. By default, it shows two groups called "Everyone" and the main group configured on the ReadyNAS, as well as what appears to be a user with the name of the Share as defined in the ReadyNAS admin panel. I click on the Edit button, add myself as a user with "Full Control" permissions, and remove the groups that were there before.

However, when I click "Apply", one of two things happen. Either I get a error message that says,"An error occurred while applying security information to: [folder path]. Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied" OR, with other folders, instead of the error message, the groups I deleted is repopulated.

Can someone please advise what I could be missing? I have no formal training with network administration, and this very well could be a novice-level question. But so far, I have not been able to find an answer through my normal means of Googling.

Thanks in advance!
    Michael

:)

Tanuki, May 21, 2018
  2. Alexcs165 Win User

Folder group removal from This PC

I want to remove the folders group from My PC and not show anyting else that the partitions and the drives. How can I do this?

Alexcs165, May 22, 2018
  3. Folder Permissions Remove System

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let me answer your query on Windows 10.

Please be informed that you cannot remove the system entry, However you can add/remove permission for a particular user.

The Group or user name section lists all the accounts on the computer. If you want to prevent a user to accessing the folder, you may deny/remove all permission for that particular user.

The system account and the administrator account (Administrators group) have the same file privileges, but they have different functions. The system account is used by the operating system and by services that run under Windows.

I suggest you not to remove permissions for SYSTEM entry.

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, May 22, 2018
Thema:

Cannot remove group from folder security

1. Cannot remove group from folder security - Similar Threads - Cannot remove group

2. Cannot secure file folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot secure file folder: Encrypt contents to secure data is grayed out. So I cannot password protect my file folder. I find there are two ways to fix it either by regedit or command line. However I find that NtfsDisableEncryption is already set to 0 which should allow me to secure contents. how...
  3. Cannot Remove Read-Only from Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Remove Read-Only from Folder: I can't remove read-only from a folder. I am the owner of that folder and when I apply the changes it back to read-only. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-remove-read-only-from-folder/ec39ccf0-5dfc-4e6a-8dff-ef4596a83cef"
  4. delete folder groups

in Windows 10 Support
    delete folder groups: My Windows 10 folders have started sorting content by groups: 0-9, A-H, etc. How do I delete this function? 123416
  5. MDM Group Policy removed?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MDM Group Policy removed?: DO NOT WANT WINDOWS 10 PRO 64BIT PHONE ENGLISH DO NOT HAVE OR USE MOBILE PHONE AND DO NOT WANT A PHONE TO CONNECT TO MY COMPUTER!!!!! ***Modified title from MDM??? GROUP POLICY REMOVED?????? GET WARNINGS AND ERRORS***...
  6. Remove all groups from start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove all groups from start menu: I have limited space on my start menu and would like to take up all of it with icons. I do not need nor want to group the icons and create blank space between them. I want to use that space. But it seems impossible to have no groups or just one. Whenever I try to get all the...
  7. Cannot remove device from Computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot remove device from Computer: Hello! I have a quick question for you. I have switched to iPhone a couple of weeks back. Previously, I had a Sony Xperia M4 Aqua. Before transferring all my stuff from one phone to another, I had both of the phones connected to the PC at once. The issue that I am facing now...
  8. Created group on desktop - how to remove the group

in Windows 10 Support
    Created group on desktop - how to remove the group: I have only had this laptop for three days. I have accidentally (I don't know how) created a group on the desktop and four tiles have disappeared. How do I get rid of the group and get the tiles back? Thanks in advance. 85878
  9. Cannot remove a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot remove a folder: Hello, Recently I had some remote assistance to my computer, after all finished, I found in the program files directory a folder named "CMAK". I am trying to remove it but nothing works, not even in command prompt as admin. Each time I touch it, in the task manager...
  10. Want to remove the "Name Group"

in Windows 10 Support
    Want to remove the "Name Group": Is it possible to remove the "Name Group" from the Desktop?*Confused 13102