Windows 10: Cannot remove icon label drop shadows. Win 10 keeps putting back on!

Discus and support Cannot remove icon label drop shadows. Win 10 keeps putting back on! in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This is driving me crazy. Windows 10 always keeps putting back the drop shadow for the label under the desktop icons. I go into System -> Advanced... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by becky3333, Sep 8, 2015.

1. becky3333 Win User

Cannot remove icon label drop shadows. Win 10 keeps putting back on!

This is driving me crazy. Windows 10 always keeps putting back the drop shadow for the label under the desktop icons.
    I go into System -> Advanced System Settings -> Performance and uncheck
    "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop". Click apply. If I do this at after logging off the shadows disappear. However at some random point in time a few minutes after it just puts them back on.
    I tried to see what I was doing when this happened, and I wasn't doing anything!
    Wt hell is wrong with this, these shadows are so ugly I can't even read the text literally and I can't remove them.
    Help please.

:)

becky3333, Sep 8, 2015

2. Desktop icon labels have drop shadows

On my Windows 10 Desktop, the text under icons has an unpleasant shadow. I cannot seem to remove the drop shadows. There is a checkbox (in Advance System Settings), and I have carefully unchecked it, and restarted my PC. But the drop shadows under the
    icon labels persist. I was able to get rid of the drop shadows in Windows 7 quite easily. But so far, I can't accomplish the same task in Windows 10. Any help?

SteveChesebrough, Sep 8, 2015
  3. Cannot remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on desktop

Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on desktop won't get off, it comes back if one of the following happened :

1- Switch to task view (using this button).

Cannot remove icon label drop shadows. Win 10 keeps putting back on! [​IMG]

2- Use slide show background.

3- Use full screen start menu.

4- Drag a window to one of the edges of the screen to split the view.

Result:

However in the case I don't use slide show background, when doing one of the rest, restarting the windows explorer will remove that shadow again.

Any solutions ?

Nassim Bouka, Sep 8, 2015
  4. gogreen Win User

gogreen, Sep 9, 2015
  5. becky3333 Win User
    Yes I have and this tutorial does work. It turns off as it should after logging out and in again. The problem is that within a couple minutes Windows puts them back on again for absolutely no reason. I think it might happen when I use Alt-tab to switch between tasks. Even after the drop shadows come back the check box for that item in the settings remains off, so it seems to be not even using the standard way to put them back on.

Is any of you guys actually running Windows 10 with the icon label drop shadows off ?

becky3333, Sep 9, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Just a thought, but since a lot of the features in the old control panel are being transferred to the new Settings it's possible that the adjustment you're trying is no longer supported.. sort of.

I tried it but I don't know if it did anything yet.

Well.. yes.. I'm just guessing at this point.
    I wish I had a more definitive answer for you..
    Oh and welcome to the forums.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Sep 9, 2015
  7. gogreen Win User
    I have "Use drop shadows..." unchecked, and it remains unchecked with no drop shadows on my laptop and desktop PC. Stab in the dark: Have you rebooted? What does SFC /SCANNOW show?

gogreen, Sep 9, 2015
  8. becky3333 Win User

I actually figured out it puts the drop shadows back on when I snap a window to the side (Win+Left arrow) and then on the other side it offers to snap another window. If I just click on the desktop when if offers the other window than the shadows come back on.
    I disabled this feature and now the shadows are not coming back on.

Is this a bug in Windows ? Where can I file a bug report ? Thanks.
    Btw I did SFC/SCANNOW and everthing is fine.

becky3333, Sep 12, 2015
  9. gogreen Win User
    I woudn't be too eager to call something a bug so fast. Are your Windows updates current? When did the problem begin? Can you restore your system to a point before the problem began? Then you could install updates and see if you can pinpoint when the problem occurred.

gogreen, Sep 13, 2015
  10. becky3333 Win User
    The problem's been there since I upgraded to Windows 10 about two weeks ago.
    Win 10 installs updates automatically I did not change anything. I always keep it up to date.

becky3333, Sep 13, 2015
  11. gogreen Win User
    I'm stumped. Maybe someone else will suggest a cure.

gogreen, Sep 14, 2015
  12. becky3333 Win User
    Thanks, do you know where can I check if this has been filed as a bug report for Windows 10?
    if not maybe I can file a bug report and Microsoft can fix it. This definitely seems to be a bug in Windows 10.

becky3333, Sep 14, 2015
  13. gogreen Win User

I'm not at the computer right now, but, first, have you done a complete virus scan? You might look into some of the troubleshooting wizards, too. I don't know how to file a bug report.

gogreen, Sep 14, 2015
  14. becky3333 Win User
    Yes, I've done a virus scan, it's a fresh install. I'm a programmer, so I know all the basic stuff.
    This seems to be a very specific behavior by windows , i.e. it turns the shadows back on when I click on the desktop after it offers another window to snap after I snap one. This is certainly not something a virus would do. Since I turned off the offer another snap feature it no longer does it. If you have a minute I would appreciate if you could see if it does the same on your system.
    Here's how I reproduce it:
    1. turn off icon label drop shadows in Control Panel as written above
    2. Snap a window to the side using Win+Left arrow, it will now offer to snap another to the right side,.
    3. Click on the blank area (i.e. desktop) around the windows offered to snap
    the icon label shadows have now come back on
    Thanks

becky3333, Sep 14, 2015
  15. gogreen Win User
    ARGH! Now snap doesn't work for me! Sheesh!

gogreen, Sep 14, 2015
Thema:

1. Cannot remove icon label drop shadows. Win 10 keeps putting back on! - Similar Threads - Cannot remove icon

2. cannot turn off drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot turn off drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop: I can't turn off drop shadows for the icons on the desktop. I use sysdm.cpl in the cmd window to bring up "system properties" then "advanced" then uncheck the last check box "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop". This has no effect.I then checked the box, hit...
  3. cannot turn off drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot turn off drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop: I can't turn off drop shadows for the icons on the desktop. I use sysdm.cpl in the cmd window to bring up "system properties" then "advanced" then uncheck the last check box "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop". This has no effect.I then checked the box, hit...
  4. Cannot remove drop shadow on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot remove drop shadow on desktop icons: Desktop Icons are hard to read. I have tried at least 10 different suggestions on Google. All are different. None worked. Why would have such a wonderful program as Windows 11 and make the icon text blurred with a needless shadow?? Help on this, please?...
  5. Cannot remove drop shadow on desktop icons

Cannot remove drop shadow on desktop icons: Desktop Icons are hard to read. I have tried at least 10 different suggestions on Google. All are different. None worked. Why would have such a wonderful program as Windows 11 and make the icon text blurred with a needless shadow?? Help on this, please?...
  6. Drop shadow for desktop icon text font keeps coming back

Drop shadow for desktop icon text font keeps coming back: I have done everything in the topic "Drop shadow for desktop icon text font keeps coming back" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drop-shadow-for-desktop-icon-text-font-keeps/484f0cb2-f87e-41e1-a37f-a01735e25e6c including setting every drop shadow setting...
  7. Drop shadow for desktop icon text font keeps coming back

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drop shadow for desktop icon text font keeps coming back: I have done everything in the topic "Drop shadow for desktop icon text font keeps coming back" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drop-shadow-for-desktop-icon-text-font-keeps/484f0cb2-f87e-41e1-a37f-a01735e25e6c including setting every drop shadow setting...
  8. Windows 11 - Desktop Icons Drop Shadow keeps coming back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Desktop Icons Drop Shadow keeps coming back: Hi,I installed Windows 11, and I disabled the drop shadow of desktop icons in Advanced / Performance dialog box. But, when I drag a window all the way to the left or to the right to tile vertically two windows, the drop shadow comes back.How can I disable for good the shadow...
  9. Desktop icon labels have drop shadows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icon labels have drop shadows: This morning, when I turned on my computer, the desktop icon labels have drop shadows. I have had them set to not have that since I got my computer. Last night, I shut down my computer via the power button on the computer. Today, I have drop shadows that I cannot get rid of...
  10. Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows How to Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows By default, Windows uses drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop. Depending on if your desktop background is light or...