Windows 10: Cannot remove "mapped" drive

Discus and support Cannot remove "mapped" drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is a strange problem. I have two Win 10 Pro 1903 PCs on my home network. The first is a laptop named Bill4. The second is a desktop named... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bazsl1, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Bazsl1 Win User

Cannot remove "mapped" drive

This is a strange problem. I have two Win 10 Pro 1903 PCs on my home network. The first is a laptop named Bill4. The second is a desktop named Desktop2. Both are logged into my Microsoft account. On Desktop2 in File Explorer under This PC is an entry labeled C on Bill4. Clicking on this entry does provide full access to the root of C: on Bill4. This entry is not a mapped drive because it has no drive letter assigned and when I right click there is no Disconnect entry.

1) How do I remove the C on Bill4 entry from File Explorer in Desktop2.

The second problem is that the C: drive on Bill4 is not shared. Therefore, I do not understand how Desktop2 can have any access to the C: drive on Bill4. The Sharing tab in the Properties dialog for C: on Bill4 shows that the drive is not shared. In File Explorer on Desktop2 expanding the Network entry shows Bill4 but double clicking the Bill4 entry does not show any shared resources on Bill4.

2) How can I find the setting on Bill4 that allows Desktop2 to have access to the root of C: on Bill4 and disable it. This must be fixed since it is a huge security hole.

I have had both Bill4 and Desktop2 for a long time. Both originally came with Win 7 Pro and have been upgraded over the years to Win 10 Pro 1903. I am sure that I created this problem sometime in the far past, probably when both machines were running Win 7 Pro, but I don't know how or when. Desktop2 has been unused for several years and I just set it up as a file and media server and discovered the problem. I don't know what to do next to solve the problem so any help or suggestions will be appreciated. I have tried to provide a detailed explanation but pleas ask questions if I have not been clear. Thanks.

:)

Bazsl1, Jul 23, 2019
  2. T_Perez Win User

Removed mapped drive no longer showing in drive list for a new mapped drive.

I had a mapped network drive that was showing as disconnected and I tried the CMD (Admin) command mountvol /r which removed the mapped drive but now the drive that was causing the trouble no longer shows up in the list if drives I can mount. How do I get
    this drive back?

T_Perez, Jul 23, 2019
  3. rhegde Win User
    Suggestions for Maps/Drive

Some more suggestions

- When you set a destination in drive, you should be able to set an address which is existing in the contact list

- You should be able to view all step by step navigations. right now you are not able to see complete direction steps.

rhegde, Jul 23, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to disconnect Mapped drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you have mentioned that you have removed the mapped drives through GPO and still the drive keeps appearing, I suggest you to try removing the mapped drive by running the Net use command in Command Prompt and see if that helps. Please follow the
    steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + S, and type Command Prompt.
    2. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Now, type net use f: \\financial\public /delete
      (Replace f: \\financial\public with the drive name)

For more information on Net use command, you can refer the article
    Net use

If the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query in TechNet
    forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on the GPO and mapped drivers to assist you with the appropriate details.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot remove "mapped" drive - Similar Threads - Cannot remove mapped

2. Unable to remove disconnected mapped drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to remove disconnected mapped drive: I have found many references to this problem in Windows 10, but nothing suggested works. I am running Windows 10 pro version 2004. I have a mapped network drive z that is accessible, but shows up as disconnected. I cannot get rid of. Here's what I've tried: Right-click...
  3. mapping/mapped drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    mapping/mapped drives: I have a Windows 10 Pro fully updated computer that has three folders on a second drive not the boot drive. I created three usernames/passwords on this computer and gave rights to each user for each folder. When I go to any one of the computers 8-10 on the network workgroup I...
  4. D: drive suddenly mapped to non existent CD ROM drive, cannot change or remove

D: drive suddenly mapped to non existent CD ROM drive, cannot change or remove: File Explorer shows a CD ROM drive mounted to the D: drive letter. My computer does not have a CD ROM drive attached. The drive does not show up in Disk Management or in DISKPART "list volume". It does not show up in the registry that I can find. This started occurring a...
  5. Intermittent disconnection of Mapped Drive - Cannot Lock Drive

Intermittent disconnection of Mapped Drive - Cannot Lock Drive: Ever since bought new Win10 PC Mar 2020 and created a mapped drive with another Win10 PC, it is giving headache. Earlier it used to get intermittently disconnected. I updated the HKey and now started giving message cannot lock drive. Hello what has changed? Why intermittent...
  6. removing a mapped network drive

removing a mapped network drive: How do you remove unused mapped network drives from being displayed under Network Locations in File Explorer? There is a function to disconnect them but not to remove them so have several drives listed that I no longer even have. Not sure if this belongs under storage or...
  7. Removed mapped drive no longer showing in drive list for a new mapped drive.

Removed mapped drive no longer showing in drive list for a new mapped drive.: I had a mapped network drive that was showing as disconnected and I tried the CMD (Admin) command mountvol /r which removed the mapped drive but now the drive that was causing the trouble no longer shows up in the list if drives I can mount. How do I get this drive back?...
  8. Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer

Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer: Hello: Lately, I am having trouble Mapping one of my Network Drives in Windows Explorer. A long time ago (early Windows 10 and before) I could simply click on "Network" and it would bring up my Drive (among others), I would click on it (right click as I recall) and it would...
  9. Remove obsolete mapped network drive

Remove obsolete mapped network drive: W10 Pro 1803 A new network modem has introduced a new IP range to my LAN so that my previous NFS mounts to W10 are obsolete. However when I try to delete them through Explorer, Explorer always tries to connect before permitting any action on the mount. After about ten...
  10. Cannot map shared network drive

Cannot map shared network drive: I have just upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro and have a problem with a shared network drive. Under Win7 and 8.1 I had no difficulty mapping this drive which is attached directly to my access point. However, since upgrade, I can log into the drive using a browser but cannot...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove old mapped drive no longer showing