Windows 10: Cannot remove "ms-resource:AppName" in Start Menu

Discus and support Cannot remove "ms-resource:AppName" in Start Menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I just updated to Version 1803 Build 17692.1004 (Insider Program, Slow "Pace"), and my Start Menu now lists an "Other" entry entitled... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by David__N, Jul 4, 2018.

1. David__N Win User

Cannot remove "ms-resource:AppName" in Start Menu

I just updated to Version 1803 Build 17692.1004 (Insider Program, Slow "Pace"), and my Start Menu now lists an "Other" entry entitled "ms-resource:AppName" that I am not able to remove/fix.

When I create another user account, the start menu for that user does NOT contain that entry, but as the TileDataLayer feature has been deprecated, I do not know how to copy over the Start Menu from that new user account into my current user account to fix this issue.

I attempted the Export-StartLayout method, ran several lines of code within PowerShell, scannow/dism ... these did not fix the issue.

If I select More.../Share on this entry, it takes me to the "Microsoft Phone Companion" app in Windows Store, but no option there fixes it.

How can I fix this issue for my main user account?

Thank you.

:)

David__N, Jul 4, 2018
  2. dm33tri Win User

Phantom app in start menu

In the start menu I have item named @{Microsoft.WindowsFeedback_10.0.10586.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy?ms-resource://Microsoft.WindowsFeedback/FeedbackApp.Resources/Appname/Text} which can not be deleted nor launched.

App is not on the get-appxpackage's list also. How do I get rid of it?

dm33tri, Jul 4, 2018
  3. Start Menu Corrupted - ms-resource:appDisplayName

So after further searching , I found out the following odd facts :

Cannot remove "ms-resource:AppName" in Start Menu [​IMG]

So this is the odd app showing in start menu with several other missing apps .

Now few forums suggested this to be a sign of corruption example here .

So forums suggested too that there is a tool to fix corruptions called Start Menu Troubleshooter which wasn't easy to find .

Like always all MS Troubleshooters it managed to state the obvious :

So searching on for means to fix the corruption since Microsoft was vague enough about this I came across this page here :
    The odd thing is my old profile has an XML based setting file and empty database folder :

While new profile has no XML file but a database folder :

Any body came across these blahs before ?! @Brink think these are familiar ?

nIGHTmAYOR, Jul 4, 2018
  4. Gon BM Win User

How to remove "Microsoft Edge" from Start menu? - Windows 10 Pro

Thanks, but there must be a way.

I have already removed all related folders and registry keys, and the "Microsoft Edge" from the all apps Start Menu. But it turned itself into "@{Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_38.14393.0.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwems-resource--Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge-Resources-AppName}",
    now inside "others".

What can I further touch in the registry in order to delete this line in the Start Menu?

Gon BM, Jul 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot remove "ms-resource:AppName" in Start Menu - Similar Threads - Cannot remove resource

2. ms-resource on my Windows Start Menu Windows 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ms-resource on my Windows Start Menu Windows 11 Pro: Hello there, A few days ago, my win11 was upgraded to the latest bate channel update, which is version 22622.601. But due to some inexplicable problems in the update, I updated it several times until it succeeded, and after this update, my start menu interface has changed a...
  3. ms-resource on my Windows Start Menu Windows 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ms-resource on my Windows Start Menu Windows 11 Pro: Hello there, A few days ago, my win11 was upgraded to the latest bate channel update, which is version 22622.601. But due to some inexplicable problems in the update, I updated it several times until it succeeded, and after this update, my start menu interface has changed a...
  4. Why ms-resource: AppListName is showing on my Start menu?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why ms-resource: AppListName is showing on my Start menu?: I just got my new laptop with windows 10 set up 2 days ago..... and this issue appeared.... is this normal anyway? and how can I fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-ms-resource-applistname-is-showing-on-my-start/548e87f6-07a5-457d-9cb9-daf7ffbfe3c2
  5. Cannot remove broken Start Menu items.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot remove broken Start Menu items.: Redirecting from https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/5kk96u/need_help_how_to_fix_deadbroken_start_menu/ I have the same issue but I'm unable to remove broken start menu items. Please advise. submitted by /u/Vivraan [link] [comments]...
  6. How to remove ms-resource:AppName/Text from Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove ms-resource:AppName/Text from Start Menu?: I am using the latest version of Windows (Version 1903, OS internal version 18362.356). I use right click to enter the app setting and I can't uninstall it. This button already exists in multiple versions and will not disappear with the update. Anyone have a...
  7. Win10 - 3 bad lines "ms-resources" that appeared in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 - 3 bad lines "ms-resources" that appeared in Start Menu: Hi All ! I am using Windows 10 Pro v1903 Build 18362.175 I have in my Start menu, 3 bad lines "ms-resources" that appeared at the bottom of the menu in the "Others" section. (see my screenshot, in French *Party) and it does not correspond to anything. No errors with SFC or...
  8. ms-resource

ms-resource: Impossible to get rid of "ms-resource" apps that appears after system restore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-resource/50a3b08d-fb6e-4d14-86d9-c469d411e6f4
  9. MS Word - Resource dll cannot be loaded

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MS Word - Resource dll cannot be loaded: Hi, Can anyone assist on this error? Every time launch MS Word this dialog box opens indicating resource dll cannot be loaded. Please help Matty601...
  10. Cannot remove items from Start menu

Cannot remove items from Start menu: I'm trying to remove what I suppose are some sort of system items, Mail, Alarms & Clock, Calculator etc. from the "All Apps" menu. Can't do it. They don't appear in the Windows/Start folder either. I'm never going to use some of these "apps", which I assume is the new hip...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ms-resource:appname/text

2. ms-resource appname-text

3. ms-resource:appname

4. ms-resource appdisplayname remove,
  5. ms-resource:appname/text start menu,
  6. ms resource appname text,
  7. ms-resourceappname/text,
  8. ms-resource appname,
  9. ms resource appname,
  10. ms-resource,
  11. ms resource appname text remove,