Windows 10: Cannot remove old Office shortcuts from start menu

Discus and support Cannot remove old Office shortcuts from start menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi All. We have Windows 10 PC's and have upgraded from Office 2010 to Office 2019. Uninstalled 2010 then installed 2019. After installation and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jusCrow, Oct 26, 2020.

1. jusCrow Win User

Cannot remove old Office shortcuts from start menu

Hi All.

We have Windows 10 PC's and have upgraded from Office 2010 to Office 2019. Uninstalled 2010 then installed 2019.

After installation and clicking the Start Menu we can see the Office 2019 programs in the list, however when searching from the Start menu for Outlook or Word the old Office 2010 programs appear as results not the new 2019 ones.

We cannot remove the old 2010 shortcuts.

Left clicking the shortcuts does nothing.

Right clicking the shortcuts does nothing.

There are no Office 2010 shortcuts under %appdata%\microsoft\windows\Start Menu.

There are no Office 2010 shortcuts under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu.

I've searched the registry for any Office 2010 and there are tons of registry keys/values left behind. Couldn't see anything that might be for these Start Menu items though.

Can anyone advise how I might be able to get rid of these?

thanks

justin

:)

jusCrow, Oct 26, 2020
  2. dw85745 Win User

Shortcut Missing From Office Start Menu

Green Tea Thanks for responding.
    By Start Menu I mean the Alpha list of Shortcuts to Files (left side of Desktop above Start Button_ -- NOT -- the New Tile area where one can Pin a shortcut (M$ calls this Pin to Start Menu, if I recall correctly.) For whatever reason M$ ignored Access during upgrade, so I have an Office Folder in the list above the Start Button that contains ONLY Word and Excel. If I go to the
    Office Folder in Explorer -- Word, Excel, and Access are there. If I right click on either Word or
    Excel under Office (in the list) and Select ""Go to Folder" or something similar, it takes me to the Folder where Word, Excel and Access reside. I tried creating a shortcut to Access in that Folder and Win10 would NOT let me create a shortcut there. I then created a "ShortCut" folder under Drive C and put an Access ShortCut there. I then selected "Pin to Start Menu" and it ended up in the Tile area instead of under Office menu in the list on the left side of the desktop.

dw85745, Oct 26, 2020
  3. Can't remove office start menu item

Hi,

Failure to remove the Office icons on your start menu may indicate a possible corrupted registry. To isolate your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your device prior to your concern?
    • Are you getting any error messages when removing/deleting the Office icons?
    • To ensure that we haven't missed out anything, what other troubleshooting steps have your performed to resolve your concern?

As an initial step, we suggest that you run the SFC and
    DISM
    command to scan and fix any issues related to corrupted registry. To do this, follow the steps provided on this

wiki article

We're looking forward to your response.

Darwin Dim, Oct 26, 2020
  4. Cannot remove old Office shortcuts from start menu

Shawn Brink, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

Cannot remove old Office shortcuts from start menu

1. Cannot remove old Office shortcuts from start menu - Similar Threads - Cannot remove old

2. Windows 10 Can't remove certain shortcuts from the start-menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Can't remove certain shortcuts from the start-menu: I want to remove a couple shortcuts from my start-menu. Usually this isn't a problem since I can right-click on them and navigate to the path where the shortcut is located. This is usually C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. But for certain preinstalled...
  3. Remove shortcuts from Start Menu Windows 10 2004 19041.508

Remove shortcuts from Start Menu Windows 10 2004 19041.508: I have gone through this thread I was used to this solution in versions before 1909 and didn't find this solution to work for the 2004 build. I can't comment in that thread because it is locked. What is the correct way to do this now?...
  4. Removing Start Menu shortcuts

Removing Start Menu shortcuts: Is there a way to remove Built-In application shortcuts from the Start Menu? I don't mean uninstall the application, but just remove its shortcut; shortcuts (examples in red) as seen in the attached picture. 149158
  5. Prevent Windows Update from removing Explorer.exe shortcut from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Prevent Windows Update from removing Explorer.exe shortcut from Start Menu: I do not like to use the default Explorer shortcut. It has no accessible properties, and only allows multiple instances if you enable "Open each folder in a new window" from settings, an entirely different - and undesired - behavior. I've therefore simply created a shortcut...
  6. Shortcut Missing From Office Start Menu

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Shortcut Missing From Office Start Menu: Upgraded to Win10 v1909 from Win7 this AM. So far in my research does NOT appear to be a valid solution for Missing Shortcuts from Start. --------------------- Question ----------------- Can someone confirm my background assessment is correct -- or -- have an answer as to...
  7. Shortcut Missing From Office Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Missing From Office Start Menu: Upgraded to Win10 v1909 from Win7 this AM. So far in my research does NOT appear to be a valid solution for Missing Shortcuts from Start. --------------------- Question ----------------- Can someone confirm my background assessment is correct -- or -- have an answer as to...
  8. Office "New Document" shortcut to Win 10 Start Menu

Office "New Document" shortcut to Win 10 Start Menu: Hello, I used to have a "New Document" and "Open Documents" shortcut in my Windows 10 folder. I can't remember where I found the info on how to do that again and I needed to format my hard drive recently. Is there a way to add the New Document and Open Documents shortcuts...
  9. Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu

Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu: So, I've been trying to add a few things to the app list in the start menu for a while now. Every site I've gone to says to put the shortcuts in "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". I have done that multiple times, checked to make sure the shortcuts were pointed...
  10. Cannot remove items from Start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot remove items from Start menu: I'm trying to remove what I suppose are some sort of system items, Mail, Alarms & Clock, Calculator etc. from the "All Apps" menu. Can't do it. They don't appear in the Windows/Start folder either. I'm never going to use some of these "apps", which I assume is the new hip...