Windows 10: Cannot remove phantom displays in Display Settings

Discus and support Cannot remove phantom displays in Display Settings in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; It seems that I have somehow mucked up with multiple screens and using the intel graphics driver tool, and caused windows to get confused about the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RodRental, Sep 8, 2018.

1. RodRental Win User

Cannot remove phantom displays in Display Settings

It seems that I have somehow mucked up with multiple screens and using the intel graphics driver tool, and caused windows to get confused about the order of screens.

In Display Settings I now see three screens, when no other screens are available (plugged in).

The 1 is blue, 2 and 3 are grey, and I do not get any option to delete them.

Identify identifies the pc screen as 1.

Multiple displays section shows ...

Extend desktop to this display.

Make this my main display.

There is no ok button.

The Multiple displays pulldown shows in this order...

Duplicate desktop 1 on 2 (makes no obvious change if i try it)

Duplicate desktop 1 on 3 (makes no obvious change if i try it)

Extend desktop to this display (no ok button so no change)

----------------------

If I do plug in a second screen...

The pc screen goes black, and the second screen shows the Extended Desktop.

This does not help me much because If I run Display Settings it is off-screen, as is most of my taskbar, etc, etc.

Have tried/tested all the remedies that I could think of, or find here on this forum.

Some posts suggested updating the intel graphics driver, but windows thought it was up to date.

Did not delete the driver for fear of having nothing to work with.

Then did a system recovery from a very recently created recovery stick (which I assume would have fixed any driver problem).

Hope someone might help.

:)

RodRental, Sep 8, 2018
  2. client32 Win User

Restore display from "remove this display"

I had right clicked on the desktop and selected Display settings. My TV was list as a monitor there. I selected the monitor and clicked
    Remove this display.

The above steps has not resolved my issue.

client32, Sep 8, 2018
  3. Display settings

Hi Julia,

To reset the settings back to default, follow these steps:

• Go to your desktop, right click and select Display Settings.
    • Choose the appropriate settings from the options under Display.

Let us know if the above steps resolved the issue.

Venancio Khu, Sep 8, 2018
  4. 95Viper Win User

Driver and/or display problem (AMD)

Try this:

• Right click on a blank area of your desktop and select "Display Properties"
    • Select "Advanced Display Settings"
    • Select "Display Adapter Properties"
    • Click on "List all Modes"
    • Select the preferred display mode. Something with at least 60Hz.
    • Then select your setting you want
    • See if the option came back

95Viper, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot remove phantom displays in Display Settings - Similar Threads - Cannot remove phantom

2. I cannot seem to extend my display. Followed display settings then multiple displays then...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot seem to extend my display. Followed display settings then multiple displays then...: I cannot seem to extend my displays. clicked display settings then multiple displays then extend displays. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-seem-to-extend-my-display-followed/8dd091e3-682d-47e4-a41f-94d873e374d7
  3. Some accout settings cannot display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some accout settings cannot display: Hi,I found that some account settings cannot display its right name. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-accout-settings-cannot-display/1e45dc4b-f846-436d-8dca-4e9f74408922
  4. Some accout settings cannot display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some accout settings cannot display: Hi,I found that some account settings cannot display its right name. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-accout-settings-cannot-display/1e45dc4b-f846-436d-8dca-4e9f74408922
  5. Applications opening on phantom display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Applications opening on phantom display: I recently got a new used graphics card and one of the ports doesn't work so I'm stuck with one display. When I try to open certain applications notepad, hardware info, ect they open on what used to be my second display and I can't get them to go to my main display....
  6. Applications opening on phantom display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Applications opening on phantom display: I recently got a new used graphics card and one of the ports doesn't work so I'm stuck with one display. When I try to open certain applications notepad, hardware info, ect they open on what used to be my second display and I can't get them to go to my main display....
  7. Cannot reset recommended Display Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot reset recommended Display Settings: After experimenting with display scaling trying to match laptop with a second monitor, I cannot reset the recommended scaling. Hence, the laptop Desktop is lacking the vast majority of icons/links normally there. The second monitor shows the normal Desktop....
  8. Cannot open display settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot open display settings: Hello everyone I am having an issue on my Windows 10 machine where I cannot open displays settings, it flickers open, then crashes, I have tried a number of things to try to fix it including updating my video drivers, a lot of restarting, and a SFC scan, nothing has worked so...
  9. Stretched Display, cannot access Settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stretched Display, cannot access Settings: Windows shut down without warning and started up with a stretched out display. I have tried every fix but all I can access is the internet panel, the rest stay hidden behind the taskbars. I cannot access any settings or other panels,...
  10. No Customizing Display Preview? Setting removed?

in Windows 10 Customization
    No Customizing Display Preview? Setting removed?: The Advanced Display Settings and the Customizing display preview are missing from my Display Settings. Also the Orientation Option is disabled. I had these options available to me last week until windows 10 updated. I have tried everything, Factory reset, Update drivers,...