Windows 10: Cannot Remove Read-Only from Folder

Discus and support Cannot Remove Read-Only from Folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I can't remove read-only from a folder. I am the owner of that folder and when I apply the changes it back to read-only.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JohnCena9, Jun 26, 2019.

1. JohnCena9 Win User

Cannot Remove Read-Only from Folder

I can't remove read-only from a folder. I am the owner of that folder and when I apply the changes it back to read-only.

:)

JohnCena9, Jun 26, 2019
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Unable to remove read only property of folders

Hi,

There are many possible reasons why this issue is happening. Let's try to change the security permissions to remove the read-only attribute. Follow the steps below:

• Right-click the folder, then select Properties.
    • Go to Security tab, then click Advanced.
    • Click Change to the right of Owner.
    • Enter Users into the box, then click OK.
    • Enable the checkbox Replace owner on sub containers and objects, then click
      Apply.
    • If prompted that You do not have permissions to read, click Yes.
    • Completely close out of the Advanced Security Settings dialog.
    • Repeat step 1.
    • Go to Security tab, then click Edit.
    • Select Add.
    • Enter Users into the box and click OK.
    • Enable the Full Control checkbox, then click OK.
    Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you out further.

Martin Bar, Jun 26, 2019
  4. Cannot Remove Read-Only from Folder

Read only folder

Hi Jim,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you want to change the permissions to certain program/folder?

• Have you signed in through Microsoft/Local account?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content.

Step 1: What is a read-only file or folder?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content. To change a file to read-only, right-click the file, and then click
    Properties. In the Properties dialog box, click the
    General tab, and then select the
    Read-only check box. To make changes to a read-only file, clear the
    Read-only check box, or save the file with a different name.

Step 2: Prevent changes to a file or folder (read-only)

Setting your important or personal files to read-only can help protect them from unintentional or unauthorized changes. When a file is set to read-only, it cannot be changed.

• Right-click the file or folder you want to set to read-only, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the General tab, select the Read-only check box, and then click
      OK.
    If you need to make changes to the file or folder later, you can turn off the read-only setting by clearing the
    Read-only check box.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with this issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

Cannot Remove Read-Only from Folder

1. Cannot Remove Read-Only from Folder - Similar Threads - Cannot Remove Read

2. Cannot remove read only property from google drive folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot remove read only property from google drive folder: Close dialogue box read only is still there. I literally cannot move the files.I also cannot copy from this folder.I https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-remove-read-only-property-from-google-drive/d27e458e-d05b-4392-a411-c6eca28dac63
  3. Cannot remove read only property from google drive folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot remove read only property from google drive folder: Close dialogue box read only is still there. I literally cannot move the files.I also cannot copy from this folder.I https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-remove-read-only-property-from-google-drive/d27e458e-d05b-4392-a411-c6eca28dac63
  4. Cannot remove read only property from google drive folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot remove read only property from google drive folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot remove read only property from google drive folder: Close dialogue box read only is still there. I literally cannot move the god **** files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-remove-read-only-property-from-google-drive/d27e458e-d05b-4392-a411-c6eca28dac63
  6. Cannot remove "Read-Only" attribute from "ModifiableWindowsApps" folder

Cannot remove "Read-Only" attribute from "ModifiableWindowsApps" folder: Hi- so recently ive been trying to mod Fallout 4 from game pass with little issue- except for the fact that I dont have authoring permissions on the file. I have Enabled mods within the XBOX app and have tried setting permissions to Everyone, but no dice.This is frustrating...
  7. Cannot remove "Read-Only" attribute from "ModifiableWindowsApps" folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot remove "Read-Only" attribute from "ModifiableWindowsApps" folder: Hi- so recently ive been trying to mod Fallout 4 from game pass with little issue- except for the fact that I dont have authoring permissions on the file. I have Enabled mods within the XBOX app and have tried setting permissions to Everyone, but no dice.This is frustrating...
  8. Cannot remove "Read-Only" attribute from "ModifiableWindowsApps" folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Unable to remove read-only attribute from folders

Unable to remove read-only attribute from folders: updated my nvidia graphics driver, started getting blue screen crashes. System restore did not correct. Found an nvidia sound device had been installed. Removed it and crashes stopped.Since then my folders are all read only and cannot be changed.Completed windows updaterun...
  10. Can't remove read-only from folders

Can't remove read-only from folders: How to remove read-only from folders. All searched helps don't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-remove-read-only-from-folders/aea3e09c-34ed-4f11-a009-ab70939d8b66

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove readonly from 2019 vs data folder