Windows 10: cannot remove $WINDOWS~BT

Discus and support cannot remove $WINDOWS~BT in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This damned thing is taking up 20GB on my boot drive. I know it's a temporary folder, but it won't allow me to remove it. I can't delete it manually,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Killzone3265, Mar 12, 2020.

1. cannot remove $WINDOWS~BT

This damned thing is taking up 20GB on my boot drive. I know it's a temporary folder, but it won't allow me to remove it. I can't delete it manually, nor will running commands as admin work, because it continually denies access.

takeown /F C:\$Windows.~BT* /R /A icacls C:\$Windows.~BT*.* /T /grant administrators:F rmdir /S /Q C:\$Windows.~BT\

The first command supposedly changes every files permission to be accessed by admin, which I can see in the command box. The second command does something else, but fails to locate one file because it can't find the specified path. The third command just blows up the screen with directories saying "denied".

What the heck do I do now? I need to get rid of this thing. Even trying to delete it simply by giving full control from the security tab doesn't work, because apparently the folder is in use by other programs, which I can't narrow down from resource monitor...

Disk cleanup doesn't have the option for "previous windows installations" or temporary update files, either.

submitted by /u/Killzone3265
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Killzone3265, Mar 12, 2020
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Mar 12, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Mar 12, 2020
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

cannot remove $WINDOWS~BT

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Mar 12, 2020
Thema:

cannot remove $WINDOWS~BT

1. cannot remove $WINDOWS~BT - Similar Threads - cannot remove $WINDOWS~BT

2. had difficulty removing old BT mouse and cannot pair new BT mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    had difficulty removing old BT mouse and cannot pair new BT mouse: My old bluetooth mouse would not remove through normal methods suggested in online help sites, so I uninstalled it in Device Manager. I cannot get my new bluetooth mouse to pair. The led on the mouse flashes to indicate that it's trying to pair. The little buffering circle...
  3. had difficulty removing old BT mouse and cannot pair new BT mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    had difficulty removing old BT mouse and cannot pair new BT mouse: My old bluetooth mouse would not remove through normal methods suggested in online help sites, so I uninstalled it in Device Manager. I cannot get my new bluetooth mouse to pair. The led on the mouse flashes to indicate that it's trying to pair. The little buffering circle...
  4. had difficulty removing old BT mouse and cannot pair new BT mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. had difficulty removing old BT mouse and cannot pair new BT mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. had difficulty removing old BT mouse and cannot pair new BT mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. had difficulty removing old BT mouse and cannot pair new BT mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Cannot delete $Windows,~bt.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot delete $Windows,~bt.: I have this folder that won't delete for anything i do. I tried everything i could find on the internet but nothing. I tried to change ownership but it always says "you need permission from x to change" x=anything i change ownership to. Some tips would be welcome. Btw,the...
  9. Cannot open the search bar after removing files in $WINDOWS.~BT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot open the search bar after removing files in $WINDOWS.~BT: Greetings, Please bear with me as I explain the whole situation. All of my actions seem to have lead to the current issue, therefore it is important that I clarify everything I did. Recently I have attempted to delete the $WINDOWS.~BT folder after noticing how its size is...
  10. Remove the $windows.~BT and windows.old directories

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Remove the $windows.~BT and windows.old directories: Hi It is possible to remove the $windows.~BT and windows.old directories using the installation DVD of Windows 10 or using its advanced startup options via them Command Prompt? If so, how I do this? Thanks Bye 77631

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot delete $Windows.~BT