Windows 10: Cannot rename files - File or folder does not exist

Discus and support Cannot rename files - File or folder does not exist in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I try and rename a file or folder on my desktop I get an error message - The file or folder does not exist. They do exist. I have full control... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PaulE3779, May 16, 2020.

1. PaulE3779 Win User

Cannot rename files - File or folder does not exist

When I try and rename a file or folder on my desktop I get an error message - The file or folder does not exist. They do exist. I have full control over them by permissions. I can rename them through CMD. I can rename files in other folders. In looking around the internet I found the instructions below on the Microsoft website, they didn't help.

Help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Method 1: Run Built in Troubleshooter.

Please follow the steps below to run Built in Troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the Search area on the taskbar.
    2. Click on View all on the left panel of the Troubleshooting Windows.
    3. Select Windows store Apps.
    4. Follow the on screen instruction.

Method 2: If the issue still persist please follow below steps.

1. Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    2. Click File > Run New Task.
    3. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    4. Type Powershell
    5. Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
      $manifest = Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore.InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
    6. Close the Powershell window
    7. Reboot.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

:)

PaulE3779, May 16, 2020

2. Renaming local files and folders issue

Hi,

To further assist you with renaming local files and folders, we suggest for you to check this

link
    and see the steps which has the marked as answer.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, May 16, 2020
  3. JHargrove Win User
    Cannot Rename File Folders in Win10

Were you able to resolve your issue? This has started happening to me the last few days and it is driving me crazy. Symptoms are:

• Renaming any folder results in "Can't find the specified file"
    • Clicking 'Try Again' gives the error, "The file or folder does not exist"
    • I am able to rename folders through any means except Explorer. It is not a permissions issue. I can write a small program that renames folders fine, applications function normally ... it is just Explorer.

Really not wanting to wipe my system after I just spent a week getting it setup. Cannot rename files - File or folder does not exist :(

JHargrove, May 16, 2020
  4. Cannot rename files - File or folder does not exist

files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, May 16, 2020
Thema:

Cannot rename files - File or folder does not exist

1. Cannot rename files - File or folder does not exist - Similar Threads - Cannot rename files

2. Cannot rename folder. Interface says that I cannot rename folder because a process or file...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot rename folder. Interface says that I cannot rename folder because a process or file...: I have closed apps that could potentially keep the folder open. I have tried to change the folder permissions but the folder permissions reset to read only. I have even given administrative rights to my account for that folder. The folder does not want to be set to read...
  3. File Folder rename bug?

File Folder rename bug?: Dear all,Is this a bug or not?Have you ever tried to rename a file/folder and get this annoying behavior from Windows 10? See description below:Step 1: Select the file/folderStep 2: Press F2 or right-click on it and select "rename". Windows 10 highlights the whole name in...
  4. Renaming folders and files

Renaming folders and files: File folders and documents won't rename without refreshing. New folder won't appear without refreshing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-folders-and-files/d173a7c3-230a-4a92-b71b-bb8308c3730d
  5. "The file or folder does not exist" when creating a folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "The file or folder does not exist" when creating a folder: Hello, I had a mklink folder created in my Dropbox folder. It was My Documents folder. I since removed it and I want to create a folder called Documents in my Dropbox folder. When I try to create this folder I get ""The file or folder does not exist" error and then a folder...
  6. renaming pic files in folder.

renaming pic files in folder.: Various numbers and letters. This was easy with a simple right click on each pic and insert saved name+ 0 2,3,4,5,6. Now the operation is predicting and inserting and duplicating??? Thus needing more and more reworking - Why?...
  7. unable to rename any file or folder showing me file or folder does not exist

unable to rename any file or folder showing me file or folder does not exist: I'm unable to rename my file or folder in window 10 every time I'm getting a message like "the file or folder does not exist" please help me ASAP!!...
  8. Copy File and rename if this file exist in destination

Copy File and rename if this file exist in destination: Hello, I need a script to copy for example C:\file.txt to D:\file.txt and if D:\file.txt exist keep both files every time the script run. Thank you...
  9. Rename of files and folders in Offline Folders

Rename of files and folders in Offline Folders: Hi, I have a client who uses offline files on a laptop and has Windows 10, version 1803. He is not able to rename any of the files or folders under his redirected Users folder, which is set to use offline files. I have checked permissions and there are no issues there....
  10. Rename file folder

Rename file folder: When I am trying to rename a number of files. I can do one and then for the next ones the program says the file is in use and cannot be changed. It is not in use anywhere. In order to rename, I have to close right out of File Explorer and then go back in and rename one file...