Windows 10: Cannot rename files in Windows 11/10

Discus and support Cannot rename files in Windows 11/10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]There could be times when you cannot rename files in Windows 11 and Windows 10 computers. In such situations, you need to identify the issue by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Dec 20, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Cannot rename files in Windows 11/10

Cannot rename files in Windows 11/10 cannot-rename-files.jpg
    There could be times when you cannot rename files in Windows 11 and Windows 10 computers. In such situations, you need to identify the issue by checking the error message and fixing it accordingly. That is why you need to follow this tutorial to find out the possible reasons and their corresponding solutions. There could […]

This article Cannot rename files in Windows 11/10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Dec 20, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 20, 2021
  3. Renaming group of files

Hi Richard,

There is a possibility that you are experiencing an issue with renaming the group of files because of a software conflict or damages within the files you are trying to rename. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following
    questions:

• Which build and edition of Windows is installed on your computer?
    • Why are you using the Windows PowerShell instead of File Explorer to rename the files?
    • Is your device connected to a domain network?

PowerShell is usually used by advanced users to troubleshoot problems with Windows. You can visit this
    link as a reference on how to use PowerShell to rename files in bulk.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Dec 20, 2021
  4. Cannot rename files in Windows 11/10

Having trouble renaming files in windows 10.

Hi Varin,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

As you are unable to rename the files I understand the inconvenience. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?
    • Is this issue confined to any particular file in any specific folder/ drive?

Try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode and check if the issue occurs or not. In Safe Mode computer starts with minimal set of drivers and files.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Step 2: I suggest you to perform
    Clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in
    Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Step 3: I suggest you to boot the device to Normal mode and check if the issue persists.

Follow the below steps to place the computer in normal mode:

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run
      command.
    • Type msconfig and press Enter.
    • In the System Configuration window, click on
      General tab.
    • Select Start-up selection as Normal startup, click on
      Apply and Ok.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 20, 2021
Thema:

Cannot rename files in Windows 11/10

1. Cannot rename files in Windows 11/10 - Similar Threads - Cannot rename files

2. Windows state become such that files cannot be renamed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows state become such that files cannot be renamed: Often on my system, after it has been running for some hours, Windows 10 gets in a state where files and folders can no longer be renamed. I can create a file but I cannot rename it. It doesn't allow the filename to be put into an editing context.WTH?...
  3. Windows state become such that files cannot be renamed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows state become such that files cannot be renamed: Often on my system, after it has been running for some hours, Windows 10 gets in a state where files and folders can no longer be renamed. I can create a file but I cannot rename it. It doesn't allow the filename to be put into an editing context.WTH?...
  4. Windows state become such that files cannot be renamed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot Open Rename File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Open Rename File: I have been experiencing this problem since I updated windows 10. How can rename my file that it won't affect my downloaded renamed file? PLease do help i have to save photos but it won't open if renamed, but there are tons to be saved. Please...
  6. Cannot Open Rename File

Cannot Open Rename File: I have been experiencing this problem since I updated windows 10. How can rename my file that it won't affect my downloaded renamed file? PLease do help i have to save photos but it won't open if renamed, but there are tons to be saved. Please...
  7. Cannot Open Rename File

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Slow file rename in Windows 11

Slow file rename in Windows 11: Yes, this was an issue with Win7, 10 and now 11. I have disabled all background, have a fresh install, am 100% updated on all drivers for hardware and software. I have nothing...let me say this again...nothing running including anti-virus. I put the whole computer through...
  9. Cannot Rename Files On Desktop - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Rename Files On Desktop - Windows 10: I have lost the ability to do anything with my files on my desktop aside from executing them. I can rename folders, and I can rename the files inside those folders. I can move folders to and from my desktop. I am able to move files from my desktop however I cannot move files...
  10. Cannot rename file ... yet shows as renamed.

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot rename file ... yet shows as renamed.: I have no idea how to search for this. Copying the folder to a different HDD still inherits the same problem in that another location. I have a HDD (G:) from another computer. On it, there was a backup of my pictures. The folder is located g:\pictures. I renamed it to...