Windows 10: Cannot reset all file type associations after uninstalling selected programs

Discus and support Cannot reset all file type associations after uninstalling selected programs in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have used Microsoft Office for a while and I had to uninstall it for some reason. After uninstalling the selected programs, when i try to open any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rohit Rahman, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Cannot reset all file type associations after uninstalling selected programs

I have used Microsoft Office for a while and I had to uninstall it for some reason. After uninstalling the selected programs, when i try to open any office extensions with some other program, it shows me this dialog box. How can I disassociate all office application extensions without formatting my PC ?

Help needed urgently.

Cannot reset all file type associations after uninstalling selected programs e79802ee-f49d-4329-b48a-bc15739ba21f?upload=true.jpg

:)

Rohit Rahman, Feb 24, 2019
  2. WilN937 Win User

How do I associate file types with non Microsoft programs?

Thank you for your suggestion. I had already reinstalled the program but did not restart. The restart did not change anything but I did learn a few things later.

• Installation does set the associations for types that are unassigned but it does not change the association for known types at least in many cases.
    • It does not add the new executable to the list of possibilities that File Explorer displays if you click "Open with...". This is not a good thing so I will submit a Feedback.
    • If you select properties for a file you can select change "Opens with:" which will let you browse for a program and it will then change it for all files of that type.

WilN937, Feb 24, 2019
  3. webben Win User
    File type associations not launching the program in the list

This problem has just started on several machines since 8/20/2016. On Windows 10 Pro computers, the program associated with a file type extension will not launch correctly anymore even though the correct program is listed as associated with that file type.

I have seen two versions of this issue. On one machine, double clicking on a file in Windows Explorer with a .xls extension would open Excel but the worksheet would be blank. If you open Excel first and then load the file from within Excel, it opens fine.

On another computer, double clicking on a file with an assigned file extension results in nothing happening.

I have been able to solve this problem by going to the "Control Panel" --> "Default Programs" --> "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" selecting the file extension I need to work, click "Change Program..." and select the same program that was already listed as the "Current Default".

Obviously, the program listed as the current default is no longer associated with the extension in the registry.

The next time I see this behavior, I will check the registry entries before I apply my "fix".

I just wanted to know if others are seeing this issue and what is causing it.

webben, Feb 24, 2019
  4. Cannot reset all file type associations after uninstalling selected programs

Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

Cannot reset all file type associations after uninstalling selected programs

1. Cannot reset all file type associations after uninstalling selected programs - Similar Threads - Cannot reset file

2. "The program you selected cannot be associated with this file type. Please choose another."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "The program you selected cannot be associated with this file type. Please choose another.": Is this a bug? Is this specific to Windows 11? I can't imagine a circumstance where preventing the user from accessing a file using an application would be preferable to simply allowing the application to fail or error out. In this case I attempted to open a .ini file with...
  3. "The program you selected cannot be associated with this file type. Please choose another."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "The program you selected cannot be associated with this file type. Please choose another.": Is this a bug? Is this specific to Windows 11? I can't imagine a circumstance where preventing the user from accessing a file using an application would be preferable to simply allowing the application to fail or error out. In this case I attempted to open a .ini file with...
  4. File Type Associations

File Type Associations: HELP!... Is it possible to Associate ALL file types a specific program can open without having to do it one at a time? As example Corel Paintshop Pro. How can you associate all files it can handle with one click? Use to be able to do it from the program itself but that no...
  5. Cannot get file type associated with the application

Cannot get file type associated with the application: I've just posted to the Ultimaker Cura forum, as Cura is the only application in which I seem to be getting this problem. But I suspect this may be a Win 10 issue so hope someone can help please. Despite having set the defaults correctly, I cannot get d-clicking from File...
  6. Cannot get file type associated with the application

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot get file type associated with the application: I've just posted to the Ultimaker Cura forum, as Cura is the only application in which I seem to be getting this problem. But I suspect this may be a Win 10 issue so hope someone can help please. Despite having set the defaults correctly, I cannot get d-clicking from File...
  7. File type association

in Windows 10 Customization
    File type association: I accidentally assigned a .laz extension to be opened automatically with Adobe. When I try to go to the default settings to remove the association I only get the option of associating with another app. How can I remove this entirely or restore it back to were I get a prompt...
  8. Associating a file type with a default program

Associating a file type with a default program: How can I change the association for a file type to an alternative application already installed? Using "control panel/default programs/assciate a file type or protocol with a program" dialogue always ends up showing the current default app plus the option of finding an...
  9. Can't uninstall program ''File does not have a program associated with it''

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't uninstall program ''File does not have a program associated with it'': I want to uninstall some programs but I can't because when I try I get the ''this file is not associated with a program to perform the action'' and I don't know how to fix it. Should I download an uninstaller program? Please help x...
  10. File type associations not launching the program in the list

File type associations not launching the program in the list: This problem has just started on several machines since 8/20/2016. On Windows 10 Pro computers, the program associated with a file type extension will not launch correctly anymore even though the correct program is listed as associated with that file type. I have seen two...