Windows 10: Cannot resize .ico files for shortcut icons

Discus and support Cannot resize .ico files for shortcut icons in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm having trouble trying to standardize the sizes of my shortcut icons in Windows 10. I'm not referring to making the icons smaller or larger, as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WillBerner, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Cannot resize .ico files for shortcut icons

I'm having trouble trying to standardize the sizes of my shortcut icons in Windows 10. I'm not referring to making the icons smaller or larger, as shown here:I am trying to make the actual .ico file take up the full size of the shortcut square, as shown here:Note how Assassin's Creed Origins is smaller than the two Assassin's Creed games surrounding it. Same with Banished, Apex, and AOM: Titans.I've tried downloading icons I'd like to use - using an online formatter to convert the image to a .ico file - but the size of the icon never changes, regardless of if I set the .ico size to 64x64 or 25

:)

WillBerner, Sep 1, 2021

2. Why .ICO files blurry when you convert from an image?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below on how to change a picture to.ico format and check if this helps. Follow the steps below to do the same:

• Select the image\picture you want to convert into .ico.
    • Now resize the image to 32x32 using Paint or Photo Gallery.
    • Save the file and just rename it to with an .ico extension and also select 24bit bitmap.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Sep 1, 2021
  3. LemP Win User
    Icons on shortcuts

1. Right-click the shortcut.
    2. Select "Properties."
    3. Click the "Change icon" button on the "Shortcut" tab.
    4. Browse to the *.ico file (or *.dll or *.exe file containing icons).
    5. Select the icon from those displayed.
    6. Click OK

LemP, Sep 1, 2021
  4. Flava0ne Win User

Cannot resize .ico files for shortcut icons

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

How would the VB script look like with that line you mentioned added into it? I didn't create this VB Script and I'm not very familiar with using it. I'm more familiar with using Batch Command Files. I've created my very own custom icons for practically every program on my system. I usually use Restorator 2007 to edit the icons themselves in the EXE files for the programs but there are some program's that apparently won't work if doing this. So for the one's that won't work with that method, I place the icon(s) in the Pictures folder and then make it hidden after assigning it to the shortcut.

Flava0ne, Sep 1, 2021
Thema:

Cannot resize .ico files for shortcut icons

1. Cannot resize .ico files for shortcut icons - Similar Threads - Cannot resize ico

2. W11 Desktop Shortcut Icon not changing when selecting and Ico file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W11 Desktop Shortcut Icon not changing when selecting and Ico file.: I set up a laptop and when I tried to change the icon on several shortcut which currently show white in color, it will not change. I'm choosing an ICO file and when I select the ICO file nothing changing. The shortcut is still white in color.Thank you,Kimberlee Graham...
  3. W11 Desktop Shortcut Icon not changing when selecting and Ico file.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W11 Desktop Shortcut Icon not changing when selecting and Ico file.: I set up a laptop and when I tried to change the icon on several shortcut which currently show white in color, it will not change. I'm choosing an ICO file and when I select the ICO file nothing changing. The shortcut is still white in color.Thank you,Kimberlee Graham...
  4. Windows 11 Desktop Shortcut Icons will not load URL ICO Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Desktop Shortcut Icons will not load URL ICO Files: Windows 11 Desktop Shortcut Icons will not load URL ICO FilesFor instance using intune to deploy desktop shortcuts, both SYSTEM or USER and they load and appear just fine in Windows 10.Upgrade or Fresh install a Windows 11 System and login, the shortcuts load but have no...
  5. Windows 11 Desktop Shortcut Icons will not load URL ICO Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Desktop Shortcut Icons will not load URL ICO Files: Windows 11 Desktop Shortcut Icons will not load URL ICO FilesFor instance using intune to deploy desktop shortcuts, both SYSTEM or USER and they load and appear just fine in Windows 10.Upgrade or Fresh install a Windows 11 System and login, the shortcuts load but have no...
  6. ico files will not show corectly.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ico files will not show corectly.: I've been trying to get ICO files to show up in File Explorer and they will not show. I see the icon of where I can open it but not the picture itself. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated...
  7. Resizing hidden icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Resizing hidden icons: I downloaded a new game and it had changed my resolution while I was in the game and it set it back when I closed it but on my tool bar, the hidden icons is much larger than it used to be and I'm not sure how to change it back. Ty[ATTACH]...
  8. Transparency lost for .ico files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transparency lost for .ico files?: I'm changing some of my icons on my Desktop. I'm using MS Paint, and whenever I resize the file to 32 pixels horizontal and vertical, save under the extension .ico and save as 24-bit bitmap, the transparency never works. The area that is supposed to be transparent is white...
  9. Icon Resizing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon Resizing: How do I resize the icons on my Windows 10 desktop screen? I don't know what or how it happened but I left the room for a couple of minutes and when I returned the Icons had grown in size from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inch with an arrow at the corner of each icon. No pets in the...
  10. Setting custom icons for folders with a .ico file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting custom icons for folders with a .ico file: so i am trying to customize a folder but when i go to set this .ico i have it seems it is looking for a file that has icons stored in it and i am unable to customize it. Please help....