Windows 10: Cannot restore from back up short names are not enabled 0x80070131

Discus and support Cannot restore from back up short names are not enabled 0x80070131 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello, I have a back up of files & folders that I come from myprevious Windows 7 system (same machine - I upgraded to W10) that I am not ableto... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Wonder Woman, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Cannot restore from back up short names are not enabled 0x80070131

Hello,
    I have a back up of files & folders that I come from myprevious Windows 7 system (same machine - I upgraded to W10) that I am not ableto restore and I really need them. My system is the following:
    HP Pavilion DV7-6b32US laptop/notebook
    64 bit
    16GB RAM
    2 internal HD (1 is the original 500GB and the other is a 1TBdrive divided into two equal partitions in the NTFS format
    The back up was done using Windows 7 built in feature/utilityand I am trying to restore the folders with their files to my Win 10 but I keepgetting the error "short names are not enabled on this volume" withthe code 0x80070131. I am a help desk tech and I have done my researchwhich pointed me to answers pointing to this: "to manually enable 8.3naming after formatting you can use fsutil.exe from the command line: fsutil 8dot3name set d: 0 (d: is the drive partition on my 1TB NTFS driveI use for my data where I am trying to restore the files to. The onlything I haven't done is the formatting for two reasons, 1 - it is alreadyformatted and 2 - I have a TON of data already on the drive that I cannotlosae.
    I don't know what else to do. Any help is appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Alisa
    *Sad*Eek*Sleepy

:)

Wonder Woman, Nov 14, 2015

2. Win 10 file/folder restore giving error short names are not enabled on this volume - non system internal laptop drive

Hello,

I have a back up of files & folders that I come from my previous Windows 7 system (same machine - I upgraded to W10) that I am not able to restore and I really need them. My system is the following:

HP Pavilion DV7-6b32US laptop/notebook

64 bit

16GB RAM

2 internal HD (1 is the original 500GB and the other is a 1TB drive divided into two equal partitions in the NTFS format

The back up was done using Windows 7 built in feature/utility and I am trying to restore the folders with their files to my Win 10 but I keep getting the error "short names are not enabled on this volume" with the code 0x80070131. I am a help desk tech
    and I have done my research which pointed me to answers pointing to this: "to manually enable 8.3 naming after formatting you can use fsutil.exe from the command line: fsutil 8dot3name set d: 0 (d: is the drive partition on my 1TB NTFS drive I use for my
    data where I am trying to restore the files to. The only thing I haven't done is the formatting for two reasons, 1 - it is already formatted and 2 - I have a TON of data already on the drive that I cannot losae.

I don't know what else to do. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Alisa

Princess Wonder Woman, Nov 14, 2015
  3. LárusÁ Win User
    Restore data to Win10 from old Backup

I am trying to restore data (to Windows 10) from backup done with Vista Backup on my old (crashed) computer.

I use Backup and Restore (Win 7) to work with the backup data.

I get lots of errors when I start to restore, like:

"Restore failed to restore the file: \\?\D:\C\Users\Public\Music\My Music......... Error:Short names are not enabled on this volume. (0x80070131)."
    I found some info on the net, which advised enabling 8.3 names.

And tried using this in command line:

"D:\>fsutil behavior query Disable8dot3

The registry state is: 2 (Per volume setting - the default).
    D:\>fsutil behavior set disable8dot3 0

Error: Access is denied."
    How can I solve this?

LárusÁ, Nov 14, 2015
  4. rodrai Win User

Cannot restore from back up short names are not enabled 0x80070131

Hello,
    I have the same problem like you. I want to restore only some non-system file (.docs .mp3 ...)
    Did you have some answers ?
    Rodolphe

rodrai, Dec 29, 2015
Thema:

Cannot restore from back up short names are not enabled 0x80070131

1. Cannot restore from back up short names are not enabled 0x80070131 - Similar Threads - Cannot restore short

2. Forgotten an encrypted itunes password and cannot restore back up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forgotten an encrypted itunes password and cannot restore back up: my iphone 11 screen was cracked and to check and repair it i had to erase all contents and reset to factory setting. i have backed up my iphones manually to itunes on my computer which is very old for many years, it has windows 10.when i plugged it in to restore back up it...
  3. Forgotten an encrypted itunes password and cannot restore back up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Forgotten an encrypted itunes password and cannot restore back up: my iphone 11 screen was cracked and to check and repair it i had to erase all contents and reset to factory setting. i have backed up my iphones manually to itunes on my computer which is very old for many years, it has windows 10.when i plugged it in to restore back up it...
  4. Back up and Restore

Back up and Restore: Is back up and restore being removed from Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-and-restore/363a9b10-a680-4ac0-9893-a98771b1b31d
  5. Can't restore from back up dvd's

Can't restore from back up dvd's: I reset my computer and now I can't restore from my back up DVD's. System restore looks like the DVD are loading but the progress bar remains at zero %. After I load the last DVD and click finish, I can't get find the back up. Running Windows 10. Advise?...
  6. back up and restore win10

back up and restore win10: I have a recovery drive to be backed up, it was 16 GB when i had bought a new pc now its doubled to 32 GB. Can i back up the previous 16 GB recovery drive so that I can manage with my 32 GB pen drive?...
  7. Back up and Restore

Back up and Restore: Win 10 Pro 64bit. Ever since I updated. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809, I cannot back up Computer. I get Error Code 0x80070013 Local Disk (E). I have 3-computers and get the same error code. Thanks...
  8. Back up and Restore

Back up and Restore: Win 10 Pro 64bit. Ever since I updated. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809, I cannot back up Computer. I get Error Code 0x80070013 Local Disk (E). I have 3-computers and get the same error code. Thanks...
  9. Back up and restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Back up and restore: Why does my windows 10 home have windows 7 backup and restore? It's a new machine and it came with windows 10. Does anyone know? 111055
  10. System Restore disabled and cannot enable it

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore disabled and cannot enable it: Hi Since installing Windows 10 I've had a problem with System Restore. I've searched the web (including this forum) but so far have not found anyone with my particular problem. I'm not saying they're not there, just that I've not found them yet. As you can see from the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 0x80070131