Windows 10: Cannot Restore Windows to NVMe M.2 SSD

Discus and support Cannot Restore Windows to NVMe M.2 SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been using my newly-built PC for a few months, but I had to go out of town for six weeks. About two days after I returned, Windows 10 prompted me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Opcode, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Opcode Win User

Cannot Restore Windows to NVMe M.2 SSD

I've been using my newly-built PC for a few months, but I had to go out of town for six weeks. About two days after I returned, Windows 10 prompted me to update from the April 2018 release before the end of November as support will end by then. So, I selected the update. I used my PC until 4 a.m., then went to bed. When I got up, I booted my PC, went into the next room and returned to find that my PC had booted into the wrong instance of Windows. Most likely, it had rebooted while I was out of the room, as my boot selector defaults to the wrong instance of Windows. When I tried booting from my M.2 drive, Windows checked for disk errors, then said that it couldn't repair the errors. I haven't been able to boot from my M.2 drive since then.

I've since run through all the options from Windows Troubleshooting, including creating a new installation USB Flash drive. I've run through a half-dozen Web sites. Right now, I'm stuck because Windows says it cannot install to an MBR drive on an EFI system and it cannot convert my drive to GPT. I've run DISKPART, CLEAN and reformatted my SSD, without success. I had my internal HDDs disconnected throughout this process, but when I reconnected them, I discovered that now I can't boot from any of them. My PC is dead and Windows won't allow me to install an OS on the SSD. Any ideas?

:)

Opcode, Sep 26, 2019

2. about intel optane memory + NVMe™ M.2 SSD

nitially

intel optane memory M10(16,32,64gb)PCIe NVMe M.2 3.0x2 was for accelerating 2.5'SATA mechanical HDD regardless of which generation intel CPUs.

also note :

not talking about Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 with Solid State Storage (32gb+1tb, 32gb+512gb ,16gb+256gb)PCIe NVMe3.0x4 that comes as a single m.2 drive which is mounted on single m.2 slot

but now why

intel optane memory M15(16,32,64gb)(PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4)is-- paired with --PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSDs {which is mounted on two differnt m.2 slots on 7th ,8th and 9th gen intel CPUs}

what is the purpose

ex: 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD + Intel® Optane™ memory 32 GB on (Intel® Core™ i7 9750H) seen from HPs Omen X 2S - 15 Gaming Laptop.

JelittThomas, Sep 26, 2019
  3. Js3199 Win User
    Migrating Windows 10 from m.2 sata to new pcie nvme ssd

Hello all,

I'm going to upgrade my current m.2 sata 128gb to a m.2 pcie nvme 480gb and have questions about migrating Windows over. From my understanding since i have a laptop and cant connect both drives at the same time and pcie nvme isnt supported externally I was
    going to try and create a restore disk of my current drive and then image it to my new drive. Will this work?

Again my process will be, create rescue disk and image to usb, power down and swap drives, enable usb boot to my usb and power on, run the rescue disk and image to my new pcie nvme ssd.

Does anyone see problems with this? Do I need a large usb or will 32gb work for a 128gb ssd?

Js3199, Sep 26, 2019
  4. Cannot Restore Windows to NVMe M.2 SSD

Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card.

Where do I put the new SSD during the NVMe to NVMe cloning process? My mobo only has one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD's so do I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2 cards? If so, do you have a recommendation?

If you have solved this issue for your desktop or laptop I would like your advice on if and what extra hardware you needed during the cloning.

please remember that I am dealing with PCIe NVMe drives ONLY. NO Sata is involved except possibly for a connecting cable from the desktop to an adapter. I am experienced with cloning SATA III drives but cloning NVMe is a little
    new to me.

Computer: Dell XPS 8920, 32GB ram.

Present SSD: KXG50ZNV512G NVMe Toshiba 512GB

New SSD: CT13049074 Crucial P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1TB (or 2TB if available soon) or similar storage device.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1809.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 26, 2019
Thema:

Cannot Restore Windows to NVMe M.2 SSD

1. Cannot Restore Windows to NVMe M.2 SSD - Similar Threads - Cannot Restore NVMe

2. Slow M.2 nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow M.2 nvme ssd: Hi.I have Lexar NM620 M.2 2280 256GB SSD.Recently when I checked my ssd's read and write speed I noticed a significant performance drop. This is how it used to be a month ago :And this is how it is now :I mean these speeds are not even SATA ssd speeds. Could you help me with...
  3. Slow M.2 nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow M.2 nvme ssd: Hi.I have Lexar NM620 M.2 2280 256GB SSD.Recently when I checked my ssd's read and write speed I noticed a significant performance drop. This is how it used to be a month ago :And this is how it is now :I mean these speeds are not even SATA ssd speeds. Could you help me with...
  4. Slow M.2 nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. M.2 NVMe SSD is listed as 0.0GB.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    M.2 NVMe SSD is listed as 0.0GB.: Hi,2 days ago I booted Windows normally, however I suddenly encountered a BSOD which led to a momentary message on my screen, "Checking media presence, No media present" which subsequently forced me into BIOS. As I had faced this issue on a previous occasion about a month...
  6. Fast Startup on M.2 NVMe SSD ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Startup on M.2 NVMe SSD ?: So ever since i reinstalled the OS i haven't disabled Fast Startup on it. I used to have Fast Startup enabled on my HDD by default after OS installation because i never messed with it. But i've been reading around the web that for M.2 if Fast Startup is enabled then it might...
  7. Fast Startup with M.2 NVMe SSD ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Startup with M.2 NVMe SSD ?: Hello So i recently upgrade my PC and put it in a M.2 NVMe 2TB SSD. Now, i noticed that after reinstalling W10 i have "fast startup" enabled in the power plans. 1) Should i disable fast startup ? 2) Will fast startup harm the M.2 in any way because maybe it's not letting it...
  8. Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD: I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini PC and would like to change the boot WD_Black SN720 256GB NVMe m.2 SSD for a WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe m.2 SSD.There are 2 NVMe M.2 slots and already have installed a WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe Internal SSD in the second slot as a Data...
  9. question: M.2 NVMe SSD options

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    question: M.2 NVMe SSD options: On my existing machine, I have a 1TB GEN3 M.2 NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Pro), connect via a PCIe3 addon card. It works fine. Soon I will be upgrading my motherboard to a modern board with 2 built-n GEN4 M.2 slots. The new CPU will be AMD Ryzen 7 3800X. I'm considering getting...
  10. NVMe M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVMe M.2 SSD: Hello, I have the Asus Rog Rampage Extreme Omega motherboard, X299 chipset. Currently, I have the Samsung 970 Pro which is a PCIe 3.0x4. From what I understand my motherboard only supports up to PCIe3.0x4. I also understand that PCIe is backwards compatible. Therefore, if...