Windows 10: Cannot restore windows via System Image Recovery

Discus and support Cannot restore windows via System Image Recovery in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Ok so basically I wanted to get rid of the drive windows was on and put it on another drive. Normally I'd do a clean install, but it was a bit too soon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by UnseasonedBeef, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Cannot restore windows via System Image Recovery

Ok so basically I wanted to get rid of the drive windows was on and put it on another drive. Normally I'd do a clean install, but it was a bit too soon for me doing another one of those the hassle of getting everything set up again, so I googled how to move windows 10 to another drive. Seems that the best option here was to use the System Image Recovery method, and that as long as the drive its going to is bigger than the initial drive, it will be fine. So I created the image backup and put it on an external hard drive, then booted from my windows installation usb drive, and went to the Repa

:)

UnseasonedBeef, Jan 15, 2022
  2. Try3 Win User

How to restore system image backup

Ryan,

Whilst I can find the tutorial for making a system image [Create a System Image], I cannot find one about restoring it at the moment so here are my own notes on the procedure - [I never see the message windows need to format the drive... so I am not sure where you are when you see that]

[Added later - There is an illustrated guide to restoring a system image in Restore Image on Computer - EightForums. The procedure seems to be the same and the illustrations should be helpful.]

1 Go to

• Settings,
    • Update & security,
    • Recovery,
    • Under the Advanced startup heading, click on the button for Restart now.

2 This will take you into the onboard Windows recovery environment [WRE], a menu-driven environment -

• Troubleshoot,
    • Advanced options,
    • System image recover.

3 You will be rebooted into the System image recovery procedure -

• Connect the drive containing the image,
    • Accept the latest image identified by the system or Select a image,
    • The rest is entirely menu driven.
    • [Whilst there are some options that can be chosen, the defaults are normally off for all these and should be accepted.]

There are variations of this procedure such as starting the restoration from an installation disk, system repair disk or System recovery drive [see page 2 of this thread].

Denis

3. topgundcp Win User
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Cannot restore windows via System Image Recovery [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jan 15, 2022
  4. Cannot restore windows via System Image Recovery

[HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Jan 15, 2022
Thema:

Cannot restore windows via System Image Recovery

1. Cannot restore windows via System Image Recovery - Similar Threads - Cannot restore via

2. Windows 10 - Windows System Image Recovery will not complete a system restore!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - Windows System Image Recovery will not complete a system restore!: I have a 256GB SSD running Windows 10 on my HP Laptop I created a System Image with Windows system image tool. I created a bootable system USB, I don't have a diskette and or a CD Drive so thumb drive is my only choice I removed the original 256GB SSD and installed a 512GB...
  3. Windows 10 - Windows System Image Recovery will not complete a system restore!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 - Windows System Image Recovery will not complete a system restore!: I have a 256GB SSD running Windows 10 on my HP Laptop I created a System Image with Windows system image tool. I created a bootable system USB, I don't have a diskette and or a CD Drive so thumb drive is my only choice I removed the original 256GB SSD and installed a 512GB...
  4. Windows 10 - Windows System Image Recovery will not complete a system restore!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Struggling with image restore: Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Struggling with image restore: Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has...: Following a Windows 11 update misfire/failure, from which I cannot access the recovery page hard shutdowns at boot screen, repair options fails, uninstall the latest update we ran into a problem...try resetting PC, or even disk check boot configuration could not be...
  6. Struggling with image restore: Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Struggling with image restore: Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has...: Following a Windows 11 update misfire/failure, from which I cannot access the recovery page hard shutdowns at boot screen, repair options fails, uninstall the latest update we ran into a problem...try resetting PC, or even disk check boot configuration could not be...
  7. Cannot restore windows via System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot restore windows via System Image Recovery: Ok so basically I wanted to get rid of the drive windows was on and put it on another drive. Normally I'd do a clean install, but it was a bit too soon for me doing another one of those the hassle of getting everything set up again, so I googled how to move windows 10 to...
  8. Cannot restore windows via System Image Recovery

Cannot restore windows via System Image Recovery: Ok so basically I wanted to get rid of the drive windows was on and put it on another drive. Normally I'd do a clean install, but it was a bit too soon for me doing another one of those the hassle of getting everything set up again, so I googled how to move windows 10 to...
  9. the selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery environment

the selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery environment: Hi, I just upgraded my PC from Windows 32 bit to 64 bit. I have a few partitions on my hard drive. I followed the online instruction and created a WindowsImageBackup which is now stored on an external hard drive. The upgrade process was fine and smooth. I deleted the current...
  10. the selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery environment

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    the selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery environment: Hi again, I have finally managed to sort my Windows 10 installation out after having error code 0xc000021a however now I'm having trouble trying to restore my system image from an external hard drive it says (the selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery...