Windows 10: Cannot run any programs in admin mode and cannot open task manager

Discus and support Cannot run any programs in admin mode and cannot open task manager in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi. I have a PC with Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit installed. (Ver. 10.0.17134) Ever since a forceful shutdown due to a freeze, I have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JoaquínCardona, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Cannot run any programs in admin mode and cannot open task manager

Hi.
    I have a PC with Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit installed. (Ver. 10.0.17134)

Ever since a forceful shutdown due to a freeze, I have been experiencing the following issues:

• Any program that I try to run on admin mode gives the error:"Windows cannot find 'C:\Folder\Folder\File.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again". For example, if I try to run Command Prompt as an admin, I get the error "Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly then try again'. This happens with every program.
    • Trying to open the task manager gives the same error: "Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe'
    • Startup takes much longer than normal
    • I've had an error in which if I try to copy a large ammount of files to another HDD, Windows will say it completed the transfer, but no files actually get transfered

I am the only user of this PC, and my account is an admin account. I use Malwarebytes as an antivirus.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Also, on my notification panel there's a notification asking me to "scan drive for errors", which when clicked takes me to Control Panel\System and Security\Security and Maintenance, where there's a button which says "Run Scan" with an administrator logo on the side. It does nothing when clicked.

EDIT2: I also have tried performing a system restore, but after >30min it says there's been an error, and no files were changed. Same thing when trying to do a System Image Recovery.
    I have also tried running chkdsk, but it requires admin permission, which I cannot open cmd with.

I've been meaning to backup my files and reinstall windows, but the aforementioned error when copying files has prevented me from doing so.
    I've tried running linux from a usb drive to backup my files to an external HDD, but linux behaved erratically when trying to copy files from the Windows drive.

:)

JoaquínCardona, Aug 23, 2018

2. Open a running program

Hi,

Which program are you referring to?

If Windows states that the program but can't see it, then I would suggest you check in the task manager if the program is running in the background. Right click on the start menu and select "Task manager" and check if the process is listed in the processes
    that are running currently. If yes, right click on the program and click on "End task" to end the process completely. Now restart the PC and try launching the program. If the issue persists, get back to us with the name of the application that you are trying
    to use so that we can check suggest accordingly.

Bennet Martin, Aug 23, 2018
  3. m3110w Win User
    Win 10 Task Manager now only works in Admin mode

Hi All, I've had my Win 10 laptop for about a year and I keep it up to date. Now all of a sudden the Task Manager only works in Admin mode. I always run in Standard mode and now I have to right click on Task Manager and hit Run As Admin. Otherwise it opens but doesn't run and display live data.

Any ideas why this changed? Thanks,

m3110w, Aug 23, 2018
  4. Cannot run any programs in admin mode and cannot open task manager

running programs in task manager

We've had lots of problems since the Windows 10 upgrade. Reinstalled W10 and still the start menu disappeared after 2 weeks. Then upgrading to the anniversary version restored missing start menu, but I'm not holding breath on that one. I've now arranged
    shortcuts to make my own start menu right on the desktop just in case. However, these are the current problems:

• Task manager won't run programs. If I type in a program to run, all I get is a message saying "Windows does not recognize (name of program)" It does this for everything.
    • Photoshop Version 7 will not open since anniversary upgrade. (Click on icon -in start menu, on shortcut, on task bar, in task manager...anywhere-and zero happens) & folders looks empty if viewed in task manager. It worked fine before the latest upgrade.
      However, if I go into the OS programs, the files are all still there. It's still in the start menu. I have tried everything including right clicking and running as administrator. Photoshop works fine on another old laptop with previous Windows 10 version installed
      from online upgrade.
    • Photoshop won't even load onto son's brand new laptop which has the same Windows 10 version as old laptop.
    • Ditto Photoshop Premier Elements 7.0
    • Contact support app does not open-it just pops up and then disappears. I'd like to get rid of it but there is no uninstall.
    • Cortana... oh, what can I say? Big waste of time and space? It does not work and I would like to get rid of it.

Greyhairedoldlady, Aug 23, 2018
Thema:

Cannot run any programs in admin mode and cannot open task manager

1. Cannot run any programs in admin mode and cannot open task manager - Similar Threads - Cannot run programs

2. Cant open task manager, windows menu, can't run things as admin, cant run programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant open task manager, windows menu, can't run things as admin, cant run programs: I've having this issue since yesterday, and ive tried what i can.I can't run anything anymore. the windows menu won't popup, ive tried to open the task manager but every time i do an error will appear "taskmgr.exe credui.dll/pdh.dll is not designed to run in windows. error...
  3. Cant open task manager, windows menu, can't run things as admin, cant run programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant open task manager, windows menu, can't run things as admin, cant run programs: I've having this issue since yesterday, and ive tried what i can.I can't run anything anymore. the windows menu won't popup, ive tried to open the task manager but every time i do an error will appear "taskmgr.exe credui.dll/pdh.dll is not designed to run in windows. error...
  4. Cant open task manager, windows menu, can't run things as admin, cant run programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Cannot Run Program

Cannot Run Program: Hello, I had a problem where my pc cannot run a certain program like Services and I try to perform a clean boot using System Configuration. Every time I open the System Configuration it freezes for a while and shut down by itself...
  6. Windows wont open task manager, settings and programs that runs with administration mode.

Windows wont open task manager, settings and programs that runs with administration mode.: Hello, My pc has been misbehaving since past two days. 1. I cant launch my task manager. 2. I cant open any application not even command prompt in administration mode. It says "The extended attributes are inconsistent." 3. I cant launch most of the settings. I have tried...
  7. Amsi.dll error and cannot open or run any program that requires admin access

Amsi.dll error and cannot open or run any program that requires admin access: Hi. Recently on startup I have received the error - "C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\amsi.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the...
  8. Cannot open cmd prompt in admin mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot open cmd prompt in admin mode: I am using win 10 pro. My initial problem is I cannot display list of wifi networks. I cannot open cmd prompt in admin mode. I've used all the trouble shooting steps on this site and nothing works. Short of throwing this PC out the window is there anything else I can try?...
  9. Cannot open task manager, run command prompt as admin, or open installer exe files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot open task manager, run command prompt as admin, or open installer exe files: A recent update may have caused this, but overall I am not 100% sure. I went to open up Task Manager and when I did the prompt "The code execution cannot proceed because credui.dll was not found." So I went to look up solutions and one was a system scan through opening the...
  10. cannot run as admin

cannot run as admin: For several months I have NOT been able to run anything as admin. If I search for "cmd", right-click it in the search results and select run as admin nothing happens. If I select "run" a CMD window will open. If I boot to safemode still I cannot run as admin. At...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot open taskmanager as administrator