Windows 10: Cannot run msi installer from a symlink current dir

Discus and support Cannot run msi installer from a symlink current dir in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there,I got a problem about msi installer and think that it's a bug. Could you confirm that, and can someone fix this?I symlink-ed a dir by `cmd /c... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tridays, Nov 12, 2022.

1. tridays Win User

Cannot run msi installer from a symlink current dir

Hi there,I got a problem about msi installer and think that it's a bug. Could you confirm that, and can someone fix this?I symlink-ed a dir by `cmd /c mklink /d C:\symlink C:\target`The msi installer cannot run if the current dir is `C:\symlink`, and it's okay for `C:\target`.If I recalled correctly, error occurred when I have upgraded to Win11.

:)

tridays, Nov 12, 2022

2. dir Difficulties

I am getting the hang of this command set.

Maybe somebody know a work around that will list the three time stamps at one time.
    Theoretically dir /TC /TA /TW.
    dir will only show one of the three at one time.

To me it seems that the only way to get all three on a line is to run loop with output to file, then boiling down the three outputs to one line. Clumsy but maybe the only way to get the job done?

Thanks for any suggestions.

mikeincousa, Nov 12, 2022
  3. Symlink deleted with Windows 10 upgrade

Hi Aydee,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please provide the following information with us to understand the issue better.

• When you upgrade to Windows 10, you will be able to see the report of things needs to be taken care after upgrade, did you get any such report referring to Symlink?

I would like to inform you that this might have happened due to incompatibility of Symlink with Windows 10, try upgrading to the latest version of Symlink.

If that does not help, install the Symlink in compatibility mode and check if that helps

Install the software in compatibility mode.

a. Locate the executable file (.exe file) for the Symlink.

b. Right-click the file, and then click Properties.

c. In the Package Name Properties dialog box, click the Compatibility tab.

d. Click to select the Run this program in compatibility mode for check box, click Windows 8.1 with which it is compatible with in the Run this program in compatibility mode for list, and then click OK.

e. Double-click the executable file to start the Symlink.

For further assistance please get in touch with Symlink support, so that they can assist you better.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Nov 12, 2022
  4. Cannot run msi installer from a symlink current dir

MSI installer not running from Downloads folder

Hello,

I am a developer at Lacuna Software and we are experiencing installation issues on one of our softwares with 1,500,000+ users:

• MSI installer does NOT run from the Downloads folder with double click
    • MSI installer does NOT run from CMD> msiexec /i "C:\Users\YourUserName\Downloads\WebPkiSetup_en-US.msi"
    Workaround we found:

• MSI installer does run if you move it to any other folder (e.g. Documents)
    • MSI installer does run from CMD on Downloads folder just by adding the log parameter: /L*V "<log file path>"
    this last one is odd, looks like a quantum physics problem: trying to observe the log changes the experiment event.

The software to download: https://get.webpkiplugin.com/Downloads/v0/setup-win-en

Important Details:

1. Both app and installer are codesigned with trusted EV Code Singing certificate
    2. Both app and installer are timestamped with trusted EV certificate
    3. The app and installer are whitlelisted on main antivirus
    4. The installer does not require admin privileges
    Since this installing issues started to popup recently, the installer did not change (the
    timestamp shows it was signed on 2019-10-12) and it happens with some Windows 10 only (not everyone),

we suspect that it has something to do with any recent update.

Please let me know if someone has any thoughts on this

Bruno Capu, Nov 12, 2022
Thema:

Cannot run msi installer from a symlink current dir

1. Cannot run msi installer from a symlink current dir - Similar Threads - Cannot run msi

2. Cannot install msi files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install msi files: I am having trouble installing files with the msi tag at the end. According to services whenever I try to run the windows installer service it gives me an error message and can not start. I am on a thinkpad and the operating system is windows. What would be the best approach...
  3. Cannot install msi files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot install msi files: I am having trouble installing files with the msi tag at the end. According to services whenever I try to run the windows installer service it gives me an error message and can not start. I am on a thinkpad and the operating system is windows. What would be the best approach...
  4. Cannot run msi installer from a symlink current dir

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot run msi installer from a symlink current dir: Hi there,I got a problem about msi installer and think that it's a bug. Could you confirm that, and can someone fix this?I symlink-ed a dir by `cmd /c mklink /d C:\symlink C:\target`The msi installer cannot run if the current dir is `C:\symlink`, and it's okay for...
  5. MSI files cannot install

MSI files cannot install: Hi, After the last failed (umpteen'th attempt from Microsoft) to update to Windows 10 Pro 1903 on my Lenovo T430 laptop running W10 Pro 1803 build 17134.1304 and again failing with "Failed to install on 21.07.?2020 - 0xc1900101", I suddenly cannot install MSI files. The...
  6. MSI installer not running from Downloads folder

MSI installer not running from Downloads folder: Hello, I am a developer at Lacuna Software and we are experiencing installation issues on one of our softwares with 1,500,000+ users: MSI installer does NOT run from the Downloads folder with double click MSI installer does NOT run from CMD> msiexec /i...
  7. MSI and Click-to-run installations

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    MSI and Click-to-run installations: So, I have been assisting a Client with a a Project 2016 install. - They currently have O365 as per company licensing and Visio 2013 standard. - I have installed the Project Standard 2016 via the deployment. - Windows 10 - They have a Standard VL license (MAK) which they...
  8. Cannot dir in My Documents folder from a command line

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot dir in My Documents folder from a command line: I am the owner of My Documents, and I have Full Control. I can use Windows Explorer to navigate inside this folder, but whether I use Command Prompt or Powershell, I cannot use the dir command. Command Prompt says "File Not Found." PowerShell gives a long error message that...
  9. cannot install .msi files anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot install .msi files anymore: Good day all, All of a sudden, I cannot install .msi files anymore. [img] I tried a few things as a quick fix but no success. Any idea how to resolve this issue ? I’m clueluess and would like to avoid formatting/reinstalling the OS Counting on the geek force within the...
  10. msi package cannot be installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    msi package cannot be installed: When I try to install any msi-based program (in my case VirtualBox but also 7zip) I get following error messages: "the system could not open the specified device or file." and then "the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a...