Windows 10: cannot run programs from start menu. click on anything or type and it closes

Discus and support cannot run programs from start menu. click on anything or type and it closes in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; i can open the star menu by clicking the icon or by hittingthe windows key. when I try to click anything inthe menu though, it just closes. same thing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by bitbox, Dec 25, 2020.

1. bitbox Win User

cannot run programs from start menu. click on anything or type and it closes

i can open the star menu by clicking the icon or by hittingthe windows key. when I try to click anything inthe menu though, it just closes. same thing if i try to use windows key and then type out program name, first key typed, it closes.

:)

bitbox, Dec 25, 2020

2. Start Menu opens and closes suddenly

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to make your start menu work and check if it helps.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following 2 commands in the Powershell prompt:
      • $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifestand press Enter.
      • Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"}and press Enter.
    • Close the Powershell window.
    • Reboot.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further queries, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Dec 25, 2020
  3. Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs"

RE: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit, Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs" list.

I have several "start menu" programs missing in my "all programs" list. One of the missing entries is the "accessories" folder and all related files.

As far as I can tell all of the missing files are on the system and they can be found by using the "start menu search" facility. This problem is occurring with other users but I can not find a solution which works to get things back the way they were after installing the OS.

I am seeing the missing apps and other items at this location in iexplore.exe %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs .

Everything I have tried to get these items back into my "start menu" "all programs" list has been met with failure except creating a shortcut. A shortcut is not the real fix as it leaves two entries in the folder.

When I right click on the highlighted "all Programs" box, in the start menu, a small options list pops up, if "open all users" is selected a new window pops up. Inside that window I can click on the programs folder where I can see the missing entries that should appear on my "all programs" list plus those which I presently see on my "all programs" list together in a single directory listing.

How can I get the above directory list of programs back into the "start menu" "all programs" area so I do not have to go through this extra window and select the programs folder to locate what I wish to run?

I also noticed my accessories folder has a lock on it while I am in the primary user administrator account. If you know how to get rid of the lock it would be helpful however I can find that information when I get a chance to look up the answer?

I noticed some hidden (first tier) folders on the C: drive which I made visible while leaving protection on the OS folders. I can now see these folders in an iexplore.exe directory listing. This did not fix the problem in the "all programs" file selection list and I do not remember if this folder was hidden when the OS was installed.

When I opened up the system to allow a login directly into the Administrator account everything shows up the same as it did when the OS installed along with all other programs installed afterward.

After some progress I am still here *Bang Head :banghead: and slowly getting closer to an answer. Can anyone help me get there a little faster?

N9ZN-Extra, Dec 25, 2020
  4. Beezgetz Win User

Running programs in start menu?

Hello Windows Mobile,

I have my first pocket pc. A lot of new stuff! Super!!!

but there is this uncomfortable thing...

As I close applications with x marked square in the top right corner of screen, yes, now I know, it does not close it.

I have to go all the way (trouble) of start/settings/(scroll down)/memory/running Programs/(by this time I forgot what I was after...aha, right)/close....

Actually, it is good thing, like weird minimize, when I am working with couple of programs, but as I want to switch between them, I have to go through the same process again...

So I was thinking, there must be quicker way, right?
    I am thinking of adding a shortcut to running programs in start menu, ... but how?

(now, I now there are some free programs that does that, but I can not pick one. any suggestions on that?)

Kind regards,

Beezgetz, Dec 25, 2020
Thema:

1. cannot run programs from start menu. click on anything or type and it closes - Similar Threads - cannot run programs

2. Cannot run any programs from the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot run any programs from the start menu: I want to use the start menu to access my programs. However, whenever I click anything it suddenly closed, when I click icons or even search by typing....
  3. Cannot run any programs from the start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot run any programs from the start menu: I want to use the start menu to access my programs. However, whenever I click anything it suddenly closed, when I click icons or even search by typing....
  4. Cannot run any programs from the start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Start Menu and Notification menu closes when clicked or when typing anything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Start Menu and Notification menu closes when clicked or when typing anything: Windows 10 Start Menu and Notification menu closes when clicked or when typing anything . Problem started suddenly a few hours ago , restarting PC only allows it to be fixed for 1 time then it starts to have the same problem again . If I go to task manager there's a process...
  6. typing anything in Start menu results in nothing

in Cortana
    typing anything in Start menu results in nothing: Today I did a disk cleanup to get rid of Update files that weren't needed but when I restarted the disk size was the same (It should have got rid of 12 GB) but my main issue is the start menu when I press the windows key I can type in 'Control panel' and get something but it...
  7. Can't run programs as Admin from the start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't run programs as Admin from the start menu: [img] [img] After the 1709 update, i notice that i cannot do the above. anybody else experience this? It worked fine tho on my 1709 laptop. I tried running sfc /scannow , Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth , and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth to see if...
  8. Start Menu programs broken (clicking on them doesn't do anything)

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu programs broken (clicking on them doesn't do anything): Hello, Here's the situation: I start my PC, and get to the desktop. I press the Win key, which opens up the Start menu, then type in (to search), say, Discord. It finds "Discord" for "Best match", and it's a "Desktop app". That's normal so far. I click on Discord,...
  9. Cannot pin anything to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot pin anything to Start Menu: 1. The only shortcuts I have are Edge and Settings. They can be unpinned, but not added back 2. Nothing happens when attempting to do so. 3. Can pin to taskbar 4. .lnk files work file 5. SFC failed to find anything or repair anything 6. Ditto with DISM 7. New user...
  10. Start menu programs right click

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu programs right click: Hello, recently I have reinstalled my windows, and after few days, after right clicking on my apps in start menu several options, which have been previously, disappeared. I can't uninstall, resize, or pin apps to start. Right clicking only show 'more' with sub-menu. Does...