Windows 10: Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive

Discus and support Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I got my new Seagate 2 TB Expansion Drive and made the first image of my new laptop (running Win 10 anniversary build) using Macrium Reflect. All went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gini, Oct 21, 2016.

1. gini Win User

Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive

I got my new Seagate 2 TB Expansion Drive and made the first image of my new laptop (running Win 10 anniversary build) using Macrium Reflect. All went well, and I closed Macrium, then attempted to eject the external drive from the notification area. I consistently got an error message saying the drive could not be ejected and until the program using it was closed. Task Manager confirmed no application was running. Device Manager could not remove the drive, either. Shutting down the computer and then removing the drive was no problem, but surely this shouldn't be necessary. Any advice would be welcome!

:)

2. CF1234 Win User

I Am Unable to Safely Remove My USB External Hard Drive

Hi,

More often than not (around 19/20) when I try to safely remove my external USB hard drive, I am unable to do so.

In order to safely remove it I:

1. click on the up arrow in the bottom right of the screen to show hidden icons.

2. click on Eject Expansion Desk.

3. then a popup appears saying there is a problem ejecting the hard drive. (See image attached).

Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive [​IMG]

So, how can I safely remove my external USB hard drive? It is plugged into my laptop, and my laptop is no longer portable as I cannot move it as the hard drive is connected, and cannot be safely ejected.

Also, when I go to File Explorer and right click on the hard drive, there is no option to Eject. So, this is not an alternative option to safely remove it.

My laptop is using Windows 10.

Thanks for your help.

CF1234, Oct 21, 2016
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer: Hard Drives displayed twice;

I am running Windows 10 Pro. File Explorer is showing hard drives twice in the Navigation Pane; once under "This PC" and again under Desktop (same tree level as This PC.) Note the drives are listed out of order under Desktop.

Three drives only appear under "This PC".

This does not happen in the right hand side of File Explorer window when "Desktop" is selected in the Navigation Pane.

Any clue as to why this is this happening and how to fix it?

Example:

v Desktop

v This PC

> Seagate Expansion Drive A (ACannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive :)

> Seagate Expansion Drive B (BCannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive :)

> Windows 10 Pro (CCannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive :)

> Seagate Expansion Drive D (DCannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive :)

> Libraries

> Seagate Expansion Drive B

> Seagate Expansion Drive A

> Seagate Expansion Drive D

Windows Version: 1511 (OS Build 10586. 14)

BruceRosen, Oct 21, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum anything that's connected to the drive can do this explorer or even word that may have file history open

Samuria, Oct 21, 2016
  5. gini Win User
    Thanks for the reply! No apps were open, and I ended the Macrium process in Task Maganger. I could find nothing else open or running.

6. Bree New Member
    Task Manager is an app too, and one that monitors any USB HDD on it's Performance tab. I cannot safely eject an external HDD while Task Manager is open. Close it and try again.

7. gini Win User
    I did not leave Task Manager; I closed it immediately after checking it and ending the Macrium process. I'll experiment further after a short vacation back on my Win 7 computers!*Smile

8. Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive

You know when you connect two har drives you os is working on it too which means one of the system processes are using your drive or it may simply be a problem with the drive ...If possible cross check the drive with another pc and it shield be clear to you

saiteja1423, Oct 22, 2016
  9. Edwin New Member
    There could be a number of reasons the system is prompting you that the drive is still in use, all systems differ, but the most obvious may be that the drive is still a live part of the array of drives on your system.
    However, the most probable reason might be that Defender is still monitoring the drive; if you 'Add an Exclusion' for that drive in Settings, you probably won't get that prompt.
    Furthermore, unless the drive has been designated for write caching, it should be defaulted for quick removal anyway; check the policies:

Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive [​IMG]

So..., if you're not actually transferring files or have the drive open for other tasks, you should be able to remove it.

Edwin, Oct 22, 2016
  10. gini Win User
    Thanks! The "quick removal" option is checked in the drive's policies (it was on by default), but I will try adding the exclusion for the drive in Defender. I will also try connecting the drive to my Win 7 computer and will see if the same situation occurs with a different external hard drive connected to the Win 10 laptop. I will return with results and hope to soon mark this issue closed.

11. Edwin New Member
    Good idea! *Thumbs
    Play it safe! *Smile

Edwin, Oct 22, 2016
  12. gini Win User
    I'm going to mark this thread closed for now, as I had no problem ejecting the external drive yesterday. I had noticed that CCleaner's monitoring option was on by default, and I discontinued this before connecting the Seagate drive. I didn't experiment further, as this issue can wait indefinitely. Worse case, I just turn off the computer before disconnecting the drive!

Thank you for the replies and help you've all offered!

Thema:

1. Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive - Similar Threads - Cannot safely eject

2. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: In case anyone is still having this problem, a simple solution that worked for me is to restart Windows Explorer from task manager.That's it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-safe-eject-usb-drive/d936ef04-76a6-4a39-a96f-9c64e0de8eec
  3. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: In case anyone is still having this problem, a simple solution that worked for me is to restart Windows Explorer from task manager.That's it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-safe-eject-usb-drive/d936ef04-76a6-4a39-a96f-9c64e0de8eec
  4. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive Not Recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive Not Recognised: I have just purchased a Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive which is not recognised by my PC running the latest version of Windows 11. When the drive is plugged in to two different MACs the drive is recognised. I have attempted to resolve the issue by following the guiadance on...
  6. Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive Not Recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive Not Recognised: I have just purchased a Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive which is not recognised by my PC running the latest version of Windows 11. When the drive is plugged in to two different MACs the drive is recognised. I have attempted to resolve the issue by following the guiadance on...
  7. Cannot safely eject my Seagate Expansion Portable Drive

Cannot safely eject my Seagate Expansion Portable Drive: This is the second time I have not been able to safely eject an external drive. The first one now will not load up and asks me to format it. I have not done that because it has documents on it that I need to recover. It was a different brand and I think it was a Passport...
  8. Cannot Access New Seagate 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 Drive

Cannot Access New Seagate 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 Drive: i just purchased a new seagate 2tb expansion usb 3.0 drive and no matter what i do i can not access it. when i first received it i plugged it in, open it once it showed up in pc, tried to copy files to it and was told to no disk in drive d, checked properties and they said 0...
  9. Cannot eject safely an external USB drive

Cannot eject safely an external USB drive: Hello, Recently I bought one "WD Elements" 1TB external drive for data storage. When attachet it to the pc, it was found by the file explorer, it is already NTFS formated, one whole partition. On it found "WD Smartware pro trial" installer and an 'autorun.inf' file....
  10. Cannot eject safely usb external drive

Cannot eject safely usb external drive: Hello, The problem of beeing unable to eject the usb drive safely still exists, the only way I found (temporarily) is to disable it in the device manager, but then the change asks to restart the computer, if I do not restart, the drive is unabled. It seems I will have to...