Windows 10: Cannot safely remove external hard disk

Discus and support Cannot safely remove external hard disk in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When i right click safely remove Hardware and eject media, my idle hard drive automatically starts vibrating (reading/writing I dont know) everytime... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/amazIT97, May 25, 2020.

1. Cannot safely remove external hard disk

When i right click safely remove Hardware and eject media, my idle hard drive automatically starts vibrating (reading/writing I dont know) everytime and then if i try to eject it says the device is currently in use. Why is this happening? I now have to shut down my laptop if i want to remove it. If anyone could help me, it would be appreciated very much.

submitted by /u/amazIT97
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/amazIT97, May 25, 2020
  2. geotso Win User

Can't safely remove external disk

In reference to the steps of your suggestions:

• The issue is specific to the particular disk and it started after I've used the disk to save the System image backup (created with the Control Panel > File History tool).
    • I didn't disable any windows Service. I'm just wondering if there is any to disable.
    • Safe boot with networking, or clean boot doesn't resolve the issue.

Thank you.

geotso, May 25, 2020
  3. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, May 25, 2020
  4. larrymcg Win User

Cannot safely remove external hard disk

Mount external USB3 disk after Safely Removing it?

Win 10 Pro 64bit. I have an external hard disk (WD MyBook) connected via USB3. After using it I use the "Safely Remove ..." thingo to remove/unmount it. Sometimes I want to mount it again but the only way I have found to do that is to power the drive down and up again. I'd like to mount it again without powering the disk down and up. This disk does not have a power switch so I have to pull the power adapter.

Seems like there should be an easier way to mount the disk. Suggestions?

-- Larry

larrymcg, May 25, 2020
Thema:

Cannot safely remove external hard disk

1. Cannot safely remove external hard disk - Similar Threads - Cannot safely remove

2. External hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard disk: Hello everyoneI'm just looking for an advice here if someone could give me a definitive answer to a question that has been bugging me for a while.I've recently bought a new external hard drive, an upgrade for my old one in terms of size and speed, the thing is by chance I've...
  3. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive: Hi,I read somewhere few weeks back that Windows 11 has a feature, if turned on, removes the need to eject the external hard drive, i.e., the external drive can be removed safely without going through the ejection process. Note: I have not been able to locate that article.I...
  4. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive: Hi,I read somewhere few weeks back that Windows 11 has a feature, if turned on, removes the need to eject the external hard drive, i.e., the external drive can be removed safely without going through the ejection process. Note: I have not been able to locate that article.I...
  5. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Cannot safely remove external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot safely remove external HDD: I am trying to remove my WD Passport, I am using Windows 10, but also fairly new to it. I am trying to eject it by using the option on the task bar, but get the error message: 'This device is currently in use. Close any programs or Windows that might be using the device and...
  7. Cannot install Toshiba External Hard-Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot install Toshiba External Hard-Disk: It was working great when I first install Toshiba Canvio advance Storage Backup. Recently I need to look into my old file, then I cannot open Toshiba External Hard Disk. I deleted the program and try to reinstall the software; now I can not install this software again, I get...
  8. external hard disk

external hard disk: external hard disk is not displaying n even not located also https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-disk/62353490-2070-486b-a356-a179ff281d28
  9. Cannot Safely Remove External Drives

Cannot Safely Remove External Drives: Hello all, In recent weeks, it has become impossible for me to safely remove my external drives. (Mostly, I use Western Digital Passports, Passport Ultras, etc). I am using Windows 10. I close all of my programs and folders. I get the "busy" message and to try again...
  10. Mount external USB3 disk after Safely Removing it?

Mount external USB3 disk after Safely Removing it?: Win 10 Pro 64bit. I have an external hard disk (WD MyBook) connected via USB3. After using it I use the "Safely Remove ..." thingo to remove/unmount it. Sometimes I want to mount it again but the only way I have found to do that is to power the drive down and up again. I'd...