Windows 10: Cannot safely remove external HDD

Discus and support Cannot safely remove external HDD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am trying to remove my WD Passport, I am using Windows 10, but also fairly new to it. I am trying to eject it by using the option on the task bar,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Mitzybitz, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Cannot safely remove external HDD

I am trying to remove my WD Passport, I am using Windows 10, but also fairly new to it. I am trying to eject it by using the option on the task bar, but get the error message:

'This device is currently in use. Close any programs or Windows that might be using the device and try again'

There are no programs running, and I have tried ejecting it many times now with the same error. I know you should not just unplug this, and it has all my photos and videos on it, so very worried to lose it all.

I have used and removed this HDD a few time before on this laptop and never had this problem.

Upon googling it seems to be a common problem but the solutions seem somewhat complex for me along with me being a naturally over worrying person.

I checked the properties and it is set to the default quick removal option (disables write caching) but can be removed without using the safely remove hardware option. But as I have no clue what write caching is, I am still hesitate to just unplug it.

Can anybody help?

submitted by /u/Mitzybitz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Mitzybitz, Jun 29, 2020

2. Cannot Safely Remove External Drives

Open Device Manager, find "disk drives" and your "external drive" in the list of devices, uninstall the driver for your hard drive and then you can safely remove it. The device driver for your external drive "SHOULD" reinstall automatically next time you want to use the drive.

lopedoggie, Jun 29, 2020
  3. Safely Remove Hardware - Windows 10

Hi Grant,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have concern about the how to safely removal of external device from Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to provide you valuable suggestion in the feedback app.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type "Windows Feedback" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Then provide your suggestion.

We can also removely safely the external pen drives or external hard drive through below steps.

1. Open File Explorer.

2. It will show the list of Drives available on the computer, then right click on the external drive which you want to remove safely.

3. The click on Eject option from the list.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jun 29, 2020
  4. Cannot safely remove external HDD

Cannot Safely Remove External Drives

think this option is still in 10, what is this set to for the drive properties?

Cannot safely remove external HDD [​IMG]

paulsalter, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

Cannot safely remove external HDD

1. Cannot safely remove external HDD - Similar Threads - Cannot safely remove

2. External HDD not recognized-error code 43.... need to safely remove?!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD not recognized-error code 43.... need to safely remove?!: Had to repost since my first question received only one reply and no followup, and now I have more details anyway. I have been searching this forum and found there's quite a bit of those with same or similar issues.My Windows 10 pc had went into partial sleep mode when my...
  3. External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed: Hi everyone,I just have a new external HDD lacie rugged 5tb usb-c and having a problem with its writing speed.Case 1: laptop is already on. Plug in the external HDD in the usb-c port. Then I speed test with CrystalDiskMark, I got 130MB/s for reading and ~ 50MB/s for writing....
  4. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't safely eject an external HDD: I used an external HDD to download a game Forza Horizon 5 and now I can't safely eject it I get the "Device in use prompt". Before whenever I turned off the laptop or ejected the HDD the power light turned off but now even when I shut down the laptop the power light stays on....
  5. Can't safely eject an external HDD

Can't safely eject an external HDD: I used an external HDD to download a game Forza Horizon 5 and now I can't safely eject it I get the "Device in use prompt". Before whenever I turned off the laptop or ejected the HDD the power light turned off but now even when I shut down the laptop the power light stays on....
  6. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Unable to "safely eject" external HDD

Unable to "safely eject" external HDD: I've been experiencing this for a while now. Whenever i try to safely remove my Seagate External hard drive, an error pops up which says its being used by some programs when i am not actually using it. I tried to find out what was causing the problem and i found two warnings...
  8. Cannot safely remove external hard disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot safely remove external hard disk: When i right click safely remove Hardware and eject media, my idle hard drive automatically starts vibrating (reading/writing I dont know) everytime and then if i try to eject it says the device is currently in use. Why is this happening? I now have to shut down my laptop if...
  9. HDD in external hub spins after safe removal

HDD in external hub spins after safe removal: Win 10 build 17134. I have a HDD hub U.S.B. 03, auto-supplied. After ejection or safe removal or disconnection from devices panel etc-etc (I'd tried all the possible ways) some of my drives keep spinning (obviously also after shutdown as it has it's own plug). The hub has a...
  10. Cannot Safely Remove External Drives

Cannot Safely Remove External Drives: Hello all, In recent weeks, it has become impossible for me to safely remove my external drives. (Mostly, I use Western Digital Passports, Passport Ultras, etc). I am using Windows 10. I close all of my programs and folders. I get the "busy" message and to try again...