Windows 10: Cannot save an excel file to any location on C:

Discus and support Cannot save an excel file to any location on C: in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; W10 18362.449 Office 2016. I can open a excel file that sits on my desktop, change something and Excel will not allow me to Save As or Save it back to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by meebers, Nov 8, 2019.

1. meebers Win User

Cannot save an excel file to any location on C:

W10 18362.449 Office 2016.
    I can open a excel file that sits on my desktop, change something and Excel will not allow me to Save As or Save it back to its original position or any other location on the C: Can save to another drive without issue. Had this problem before and resolved itself in a short period, but now it is persistent.
    i.e Open new sheet, put a 1 in A1 and try to save it to desktop or another location on C: and get this error message. Can't find the file when I am trying to create it?

:)

meebers, Nov 8, 2019
  2. Alden Rey Win User

excel not auto recovering and manually saving

Hi,

The concern you have encountered with Excel not auto saving may be due to a corrupted file or a misconfigured setting.

May we ask if you have 3rd party software running when using Excel? If yes, we suggest to temporarily disable it to isolate the issue.

Any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?

Have you tried any possible troubleshooting steps? If yes, what are those steps and did you get any error messages?

You can turn-on the auto save option by the following steps:

• Open Excel
    • Go to File then Options
    • Under Save option, check the 'Save AutoRecovery information in every' option
    the best way to check when auto save is disabled is to hover over the toggle and read the reason that the popup tool tip identifies. Simply follow the steps provided in this

article

According to this
    article
    the autosave function will be disabled when the file is in the old file format .xls.

Kindly keep us posted with the results.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Nov 8, 2019
  3. mikona Win User
    can not save excel file on root c:\

Can not save excel file to root drive c:\

mikona, Nov 8, 2019
  4. Cannot save an excel file to any location on C:

Unable to view or open an excel file from Temp location on Windows 10.

Hi Arun,

The above issue might occur if you did not save the file before shutting down or signing out from the user account on the computer. The issue might also occur if you have deleted the excel file from the computer.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Did you try to search the excel file using
      Windows Search
      function?

• Do you get any error message/error code on accessing the file from Excel program?

If you remember the excel file name saved on the computer, follow the steps below and check if you are able to view the file.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard to initiate
      Windows Search function on the computer.

• Type the excel file name and wait for the search to show at the top most search result in the window. You can also search according to the folder or drive on which the file is saved by selecting appropriate icon located at the
      top of the search window.

• Click on the file name and check if you are able to access the same on the computer.

If you have deleted the excel file, check if the same is available in
    Recycle Bin
    and restore the file to the saved location by right clicking on the file and selecting
    Restore from the context menu.

Write to us with the status of not able to find and access the excel file on the computer in the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

Cannot save an excel file to any location on C:

1. Cannot save an excel file to any location on C: - Similar Threads - Cannot save excel

2. cannot change save location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot change save location: i am trying to change my default save location to one drive, and when i try to change it in advanced storage settings, onedrive isn’t even an option. i can only save things to “Windows C:”...
  3. cannot change save location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot change save location: i am trying to change my default save location to one drive, and when i try to change it in advanced storage settings, onedrive isn’t even an option. i can only save things to “Windows C:”...
  4. Cannot Save Files to the C Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Save Files to the C Drive: I have changed my permissions to full and ensured that I am a Administrator, but I still cannot save a csv file to the C drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-save-files-to-the-c-drive/e3c88010-6f73-49cc-a4f2-db7e820e11dc
  5. Cannot Save Files to the C Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Save Files to the C Drive: I have changed my permissions to full and ensured that I am a Administrator, but I still cannot save a csv file to the C drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-save-files-to-the-c-drive/e3c88010-6f73-49cc-a4f2-db7e820e11dc
  6. Save As "Previous Locations" box blank in Word and Excel

in Windows 10 Customization
    Save As "Previous Locations" box blank in Word and Excel: I asked this in the Word Forum as that is where I discovered the problem, but it was suggested it's a Windows problem. I have no idea what happened, but when I am saving a document using 'save as', the default location shows up in the bar, but when I click the 'previous...
  7. how to change the default save location to any other area than C:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to change the default save location to any other area than C:: Can anybody help with my question how to change the default save location in Windows 10? At this moment the only option is C: (and therefor no option)...
  8. Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more documents because there is not enough...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more documents because there is not enough...: I have a windows service that runs a VBScript that creates a Excel file to attach to an email. When it runs i get the following error; Microsoft Excel: Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more documents because there is not enough available memory or disk space. We...
  9. excel files won't save.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    excel files won't save.: I can open an excel file but when I save, it can't access the folder.[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_10/excel-files-wont-save/cc2fe25e-6973-408c-a9f8-bd23118886e3
  10. Locating saved files

in Windows 10 Support
    Locating saved files: Windows 10 seems to have a mind of its own when I save files. I use "Save as"the first time and expect it to continue saving to the same location that I specified initially. But no, click on "Save" and it saves it in any one of a number of places so I end up with several...