Windows 10: Cannot save attachment in Documents

Discus and support Cannot save attachment in Documents in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm helping Frank with a perplexing problem; he cannot save attachments in his own "Documents" folder. Background: When he migrated from Windows7 to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Swifty, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Swifty Win User

Cannot save attachment in Documents

I'm helping Frank with a perplexing problem; he cannot save attachments in his own "Documents" folder.

Background: When he migrated from Windows7 to Windows10 he got converted to logging on with his Microsoft Account. We neither fully understand this. Frank has only one Windows system, so I created a local user "Frank" for him. This is probably where the access problem started.

I copied his Documents folder to Documents_New, renamed Documents to Documents_Old, and renamed Documents_New to Documents. At this point, Windows explorer stopped showing Documents, instead showing Documents_Old.

His problem saving attachments persisted, if he used the Documents_Old folder (naturally). If he navigates to C:\Users\Frank\Documents to save his attachment, it works, but it is cumbersome.

When I used a CMD prompt to inspect the folders, I found two under C:\Users\Frank - Documents_Old and "Documents - copy" (or something like that). This is where things get interesting...

I created a file in "Documents - copy" using "Echo Hello > test.txt". It worked. So I tried that against Documents_Old, and that worked as well. So Frank *does* have create privilege on the original (renamed) Documents folder.

But he still cannot save documents to into the original Documents folder (now named Documents_Old).
    He is using Thunderbird, but the problem also occurs if he edits a txt file in Documents_Old then tries to Save As into Documents_Old. So it's probably not an issue with the programs that he uses for email and editing.

At this point, I'm nearly out of ideas. I'm going to ask him to run his Thunderbird as Administrator, just to gather more facts. I expect it will work, but it's probably not wise to run that way permanently.

Can anyone shed light on what might be going on here, and offer a fix?

:)

Swifty, Feb 13, 2017

2. How do I email a page from notepad

You cannot email from within Notepad. Edit the document and save it. The create a new mail message and attach the document. Otherwise, copy-and-paste like Charlie suggests.

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], Feb 13, 2017
  3. can't find documents on my Nokia Lumia 925

I cannot view documents transferred to my phone from system. Also I can't attach documents, the phone takes me straight to pictures folder. Even when I save documents there, the phone doesn't recognize the documents.

justgpdotcom, Feb 13, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Have a look on the location tab of the properties and see if it is pointing to the correct place... Perhaps it is pointing to "Documents_old"

Right click on "Documents" then take the "Location" tab like this...

Cannot save attachment in Documents [​IMG]

5. Swifty Win User
    I can't get access to Frank's PC for a couple of weeks. But the problem (as I see it) is:

Why cannot Thunderbird save into Documents_Old (which was his original "Documents" folder, as seen in explorer.

Earlier this morning I had a flash of inspiration... C:\users\frank contains no folder "Documents" any longer. If Thunderbird is trying to save in C:\users\frank\documents, then that might be the cause of the problem. If so, then a more accurate Thunderbird error message would have this fixed in a trice.

Anyway, next time I get some hands-on time on Frank's PC, I'll create a C:\users\frank\documents folder, whilst logged on as Frank, and see what happens.

In the meantime, is there any documentation I could read on the relationship between the "Documents" folder as seen in explorer, and how that maps to the actual physical folder used, as seen through a CMD prompt?

I've seen the location information in the properties tab of Franks document folders, and it looks OK to me.

This is the nub of the problem... everything looks OK to me (and I used to be a Microsoft Support person in IBM a few years ago), it just isn't working OK!

Swifty, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot save attachment in Documents - Similar Threads - Cannot save attachment

2. Cannot Save Document After Scanning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Save Document After Scanning: I scanned a document from an HP Deskjet 3755 printer which worked ok. When I try to Save the document, with a File Name = Scan Test, and a Save As Type = PDF*pdf, I get message:"C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Scan TestFile Not Found.Check The File Name And Try Again"The left side...
  3. Cannot Save Document After Scanning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Save Document After Scanning: I scanned a document from an HP Deskjet 3755 printer which worked ok. When I try to Save the document, with a File Name = Scan Test, and a Save As Type = PDF*pdf, I get message:"C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Scan TestFile Not Found.Check The File Name And Try Again"The left side...
  4. Cannot Save Document After Scanning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot Save Changes to Word Documents

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot Save Changes to Word Documents: When trying to save a changed document with the same name and same location: "We can't save the file because it's READ ONLY. (I checked. It isn't.) To keep your changes, you'll need to save the document with a new name or in a different location" So I changed the name of...
  6. Cannot print directly without saving the document

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot print directly without saving the document: Printing..Must Save First Whenever I select anything to print on Internet Explorer I have to save it first, then open the saved document and print it. Was fine until we did a software update on Windows 10....
  7. Attaching pictures to documents

Attaching pictures to documents: I am recently unable to attach current photos to email or Shutterfly. When I try, it takes me to old picture folders/files I created before Windows 10. Help!...
  8. Cannot save on desktop, or create documents.

Cannot save on desktop, or create documents.: So, recently I started working on my new game. I work with Photoshop and I save all my images on my desktop because it's easier to find the photo. A few days ago, I was doing the same thing, but the message popped up saying: "You are not allowed to finish this process. Please...
  9. File View Not Showing When Saving Attachments or Documents

in Windows 10 Support
    File View Not Showing When Saving Attachments or Documents: Forgive me as I am not an IT wiz. I am having an issue that has popped up when I am trying to save a document. When I click Save As, this is the view that I am getting. Previously, I could see files, folder and icons, now I can only select the folder etc I want by going...
  10. Documents Cannot Be Attached To Fax Message

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents Cannot Be Attached To Fax Message: I have a problem which has suddenly developed in which I am unable to attached documents to fax messages. Message reads: C\users\roger\1\appdata\local\temp\1d3d78e8765a5.tif Cannot be attached to fax message. Has anyone had the same problem? 108461