Windows 10: Cannot save files after update; How to return

Discus and support Cannot save files after update; How to return in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My machine was forced to an update that has broken it. I can no longer "save as", it simply returns the "file not found" error message. If I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MargaretKopecky, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Cannot save files after update; How to return

My machine was forced to an update that has broken it.

I can no longer "save as", it simply returns the "file not found" error message.

If I try to "save" an existing file, a message appears that says "Error saving document - General input / output error".

Ideally, I just want to reverse the update until Microsoft can act together, is there any way to do it?

Please, how can I undo the absolute mess that Microsoft has created?

:)

MargaretKopecky, Oct 21, 2019
  2. Tatty_One Win User

Saves log files ?

You can either read the files in Windows or my preferred method is.....

Download CCcleaner from here...........

CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

You can then run cleaner, you will see the log files listed, then if you right click you can save as a text file and then have a read. You may also get an "error reporting" log listed seperatly.

Tatty_One, Oct 21, 2019
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Oct 21, 2019
  4. Cannot save files after update; How to return

Saving a file to a folder

Hi Dean,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I will definitely assist you

It would be grateful if you could provide us few questions answer to understand the issue better and to provide you better assistance.

• How are you accessing emails through web browser or through a mail client (mail app, outlook 2010/2013)?

• Are you trying to save the email attached file? Please elaborate.
    If you are using Outlook email, let’s try simple steps and check if it helps. Try the below steps provided.

Step 1.

If you want to save only the attached file from the email, try the below step.

• Right click on the attached file and click on Save as.

• Now select a folder location where you want to save the attached file.
    Step 2.

If you want to save the file along with the email try the below steps provided.

• Open the mail you want to save and click on File on the top of the right side.

• Click on Save As and select a folder location where you want to save the email.
    Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Oct 21, 2019
Thema:

Cannot save files after update; How to return

1. Cannot save files after update; How to return - Similar Threads - Cannot save files

2. Cannot open saved files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open saved files: Despite earlier advice form the Community I am still unable to open files saved in Documents/Pictures folders.I am using a Lenovo desktop computer with Windows 10 software. In particular and possibly in other cases , when I prepare a document using Open Office 3.1 either Calc...
  3. Cannot open saved files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open saved files: Despite earlier advice form the Community I am still unable to open files saved in Documents/Pictures folders.I am using a Lenovo desktop computer with Windows 10 software. In particular and possibly in other cases , when I prepare a document using Open Office 3.1 either Calc...
  4. Cannot open saved files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot Save Pictures into File?

Cannot Save Pictures into File?: Everytime I cannot save a picture or file to any folder in my external hard drive. The same message about having to contact the administrator when I am the only administrator on the computer. I cannot download anything to my other drive and my initial one is running out of...
  6. Cannot Save Pictures into File?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Save Pictures into File?: Everytime I cannot save a picture or file to any folder in my external hard drive. The same message about having to contact the administrator when I am the only administrator on the computer. I cannot download anything to my other drive and my initial one is running out of...
  7. Cannot save file host

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot save file host: I open file host by "run as administrator" then I add some lines to block ads on viber desktop or to get access to some web sites which have been blocked on my machine....when I save it will give this [img] and if I click yes, it will give this [img] Even I open file host...
  8. Cannot save file

Cannot save file: Why can I not save from Open Office, Thunderbird or Wordperfect but I can from Notepad or Wordpad, in Windows 10 Pro? The application freezes or crashes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-save-file/2351e2cf-b88d-4611-b741-602093be6f40
  9. Cannot Save files after update; how to roll back?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot Save files after update; how to roll back?: My machine was force fed a larger update which has broken it. I can no longer do "save as", it simply returns the bonkers error message "file not found".. well OF COURSE NOT,.. That's the idea!!!.. If I try "save" of an existing file I get a message saying "Error...
  10. cannot save word files after 1809 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cannot save word files after 1809 update: my computer has just updated to 1809. now it seems i cannot save any files in Word. i am using Word 2013... Any ideas what i can do? Thanks...