Windows 10: cannot search folders on desktop - unable to type anything in searchbox

Discus and support cannot search folders on desktop - unable to type anything in searchbox in Cortana to solve the problem; Since last update - unable to search folders. Restarting File Explorer each time you want to search for something is not acceptable. Is there another... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by darklin, Nov 29, 2019.

1. darklin Win User

cannot search folders on desktop - unable to type anything in searchbox

Since last update - unable to search folders. Restarting File Explorer each time you want to search for something is not acceptable. Is there another answer to this problem? It's kind of an important issue/glitch/mess

:)

darklin, Nov 29, 2019
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Eric Ber Win User
    Disable Web Search when I hit Windows Key to Search my Computer

Hi Larry,

To be able to disable the Web Search when using the searchbox, you need to turn off Cortana. The searchbox will now say "Search Windows" instead of "Ask me anything." It will be more responsive and only show results from your hard drive or local network. To
    do this, you can follow the steps below:

• Login to Windows 10 computer with your Microsoft account.
    • Click on Cortana search bar.
    • In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    • Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    • Then turn off Cortana option.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Nov 29, 2019
  4. ksstr Win User

Unable to type text in any of start (search func)

• As mentioned in title, I was unable to type in the start (press start > press any key to search)
    • Unable to type wifi password too (but can paste) > essentially the wifi passcode textbox that popups up from taskbar
    • I have tried many well-known antiviruses, malwarebytes etc. but none could solve the issue
    • I have also tried powershell scripts to fix but it doesn't work either:
      cannot search folders on desktop - unable to type anything in searchbox [​IMG]

ksstr, Nov 29, 2019
Thema:

1. cannot search folders on desktop - unable to type anything in searchbox - Similar Threads - cannot search folders

2. Cannot type anything in the Cortana Search window or the File Explorer search window.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot type anything in the Cortana Search window or the File Explorer search window.: I cannot type anything in the Taskbar Search window or the File Explorer search window. I did a google search and apparently it is a long running problem in Windows 10 going back years. I tried all the solutions I found, including solutions in Microsoft Support, short of...
  3. Cannot type anything in the Cortana Search window or the File Explorer search window.

in Cortana
    Cannot type anything in the Cortana Search window or the File Explorer search window.: I cannot type anything in the Taskbar Search window or the File Explorer search window. I did a google search and apparently it is a long running problem in Windows 10 going back years. I tried all the solutions I found, including solutions in Microsoft Support, short of...
  4. Cannot type anything in the Cortana Search window or the File Explorer search window.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar: Hi,Why i am not able to type anything in Win 10 search box in taskbar. restarted also but doesnt help.Can anyone help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-to-type-anything-in-search-box-in/20a3e6d4-4702-442a-acd7-311a9e43f7d1
  6. Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar: Hi,Why i am not able to type anything in Win 10 search box in taskbar. restarted also but doesnt help.Can anyone help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-to-type-anything-in-search-box-in/20a3e6d4-4702-442a-acd7-311a9e43f7d1
  7. Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar

in Cortana
  8. Cannot type anything in Search Bar/Microsoft-related windows

in Cortana
    Cannot type anything in Search Bar/Microsoft-related windows: For some odd reason I cannot type anything in my PC's search bar and when Im asked to type in my login credentials by Microsoft Word, I cannot type in my password. This problem has been persisting for some time. Can someone help me?...
  9. Cannot change lock screen wallpaper. Cannot type anything into windows search.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot change lock screen wallpaper. Cannot type anything into windows search.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Yasef00 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lj49xw/cannot_change_lock_screen_wallpaper_cannot_type/
  10. Type on Desktop to search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Type on Desktop to search: Hi, iam searching for a function to activate the Windows search, if i type something while iam on the desktop. This would ease up my "searchflow" (does this exist? lol) alot because i have a certain key on my mouse mapped to show up the desktop and find it abit of a hassle to...