Windows 10: cannot search folders on desktop - unable to type anything in searchbox

Discus and support cannot search folders on desktop - unable to type anything in searchbox in Cortana to solve the problem; Since last update - unable to search folders. Restarting File Explorer each time you want to search for something is not acceptable. Is there another... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by darklin, Nov 29, 2019.

1. darklin Win User

cannot search folders on desktop - unable to type anything in searchbox

Since last update - unable to search folders. Restarting File Explorer each time you want to search for something is not acceptable. Is there another answer to this problem? It's kind of an important issue/glitch/mess

:)

darklin, Nov 29, 2019
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Eric Ber Win User
    Disable Web Search when I hit Windows Key to Search my Computer

Hi Larry,

To be able to disable the Web Search when using the searchbox, you need to turn off Cortana. The searchbox will now say "Search Windows" instead of "Ask me anything." It will be more responsive and only show results from your hard drive or local network. To
    do this, you can follow the steps below:

• Login to Windows 10 computer with your Microsoft account.
    • Click on Cortana search bar.
    • In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    • Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    • Then turn off Cortana option.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Nov 29, 2019
  4. ksstr Win User

Unable to type text in any of start (search func)

• As mentioned in title, I was unable to type in the start (press start > press any key to search)
    • Unable to type wifi password too (but can paste) > essentially the wifi passcode textbox that popups up from taskbar
    • I have tried many well-known antiviruses, malwarebytes etc. but none could solve the issue
    • I have also tried powershell scripts to fix but it doesn't work either:
      cannot search folders on desktop - unable to type anything in searchbox [​IMG]

ksstr, Nov 29, 2019
Thema:

1. cannot search folders on desktop - unable to type anything in searchbox - Similar Threads - cannot search folders

2. Unable to search within a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to search within a folder: Good afternoon. I am having trouble with file explorer and searching within a folder. The upper right search function doesn't recognize when I click it and will not allow me to input anything to search for. I've followed many online instructions from rebuilding the index...
  3. Cannot type in search box

in Cortana
    Cannot type in search box: Hello all, The "improved" search box in Windows 10 v. 1909 is broken. 1) It shows one character at a time. - If I type "pdf" it displays "p" then only "d" then only "f". 2) Then it displays a box character (see picture below). 3) Clicking the arrow button does nothing...
  4. Unable to type in the search box on the taskbar.

in Cortana
    Unable to type in the search box on the taskbar.: After the latest updates I am unable to type in the search box on the taskbar. I have tried all the solutions on the internet. Powershell commands, the ctfmon fix, restarting windows explorer, all of it. No matter what I try, the search box won't respond. The latest updates...
  5. Unable to type anything on search box in taskbar or explorer. Cotana is missing also.

in Cortana
    Unable to type anything on search box in taskbar or explorer. Cotana is missing also.: Can't type anything on search box in windows taskbar or windows explorer. So unable to search anything. Also , I can't find Cotana anywhere....
  6. Unable to type in Search box

in Cortana
    Unable to type in Search box: Hi all, I have an office and 3 of my machines are unable to type in the search box, I've come to the conclusion that it is Cortana as on all 3 machines there is no Cortana to be seen. But other machines in the office have Cortana and are able to search I have tried...
  7. Cannot type anything on the task bar and inside setting search bar!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot type anything on the task bar and inside setting search bar!: Hi, I've recently updated my laptop to the newest version of Windows 10, since then I started to notice that I cannot input any keys / characters from my keyboard on the task bar and inside setting search bar. May I know how to resolve this issue? I have no trouble typing...
  8. Unable to type anything as zeros apper instead of letters.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to type anything as zeros apper instead of letters.: I am using a surface book and when I point the cursor or try to type anything it starts continuously putting zeros instead of letters. I have checked and the num lock is not turned on. The weird thing is that this is happening on my other machine as well. I can't type...
  9. Unable to save anything to Document folder and sub folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to save anything to Document folder and sub folder: I just reinstalled Windows 10 Pro using the method outlined here. Basically I used an ISO which I made via a download from MS. Now I am unable to save any kind of file to my Document folder or sub-folder. I get access denied. Looks like MS lied again. This method was to save...
  10. Randomly unable to type in search bar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Randomly unable to type in search bar: I have read many posts on how to fix this problem, but it always happens again. Why has MS not fixed this and is there any way to resolve this annoying problem? I use remote desktop often and it also affects being able to log in using RDP. Any help would be greatly...