Windows 10: Cannot see any computers on WORKGROUP after latest updates

Discus and support Cannot see any computers on WORKGROUP after latest updates in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there What's up with Windows networking. After latest updates I can't see any computers on LAN apart from the one I'm logged on to (SMB1 etc all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Mar 19, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Cannot see any computers on WORKGROUP after latest updates

Hi there
    What's up with Windows networking.

After latest updates I can't see any computers on LAN apart from the one I'm logged on to (SMB1 etc all set OK).
    However if I change the name from WORKGROUP to anything else - everything is visible again.

What's the problem with the standard name WORKGROUP -- this is for a Home LAN not some totally secure CIA station or similar !!!!.

Any suggestions.

(Computers van be reached via Filezilla and things but you don't always know the IP addresses in advance -- I'm using DHCP so it would be annoying to change all that).

Why does Windows networking vary so much between updates -- the OS that shouldn't be named here !!!! never seems to have these sorts of issues with Networking.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 19, 2021

2. In Windows 10 Home - why would you disable the ability to change the default workgroup name from "workgroup" to something else?

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• How are you trying to change the work group name?
    Have you tried as below steps if not I suggest you to follow as below and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+X”.
    • Click on “system”.
    • Then under “computer name, domain and workgroup settings” option.
    • Click on change “settings” on the right hand side.
    • Click on “computer name” tab.
    • Under the option “to rename this computer and change its domain or workgroup, click change”
      click on “change option”.
    • Under “computer name tab” enter the computer name accordingly and click on
      “ok”.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Mar 19, 2021
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Switch from Homegroup to Workgroup

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows+ X, select
      System.

• Click on Advanced System settings.

• Under Computer Name tab click on
      change.

• Under “Member Of” change the Workgroup name

• Then click on OK, then when prompted
      reboot your device.

And also refer the article given below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/join-or-create-a-workgroup

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Mar 19, 2021
  4. Cannot see any computers on WORKGROUP after latest updates

Workgroup Computers are displayed as Media Devices

I have several Win10 computers on a "WORKGROUP" network. Network location is set to private on all machines with network discovery and file and printer sharing activated. Two computers are listed as workgroup computers and two as media devices. What do I have to do in order to get the media devices to show up as workgroup computers?

MisterD2016, Mar 19, 2021
Thema:

Cannot see any computers on WORKGROUP after latest updates

1. Cannot see any computers on WORKGROUP after latest updates - Similar Threads - Cannot computers WORKGROUP

2. Cannot turn computer on after latest update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot turn computer on after latest update: I cannot turn computer on after latest update. It shut down immediately after 100% update and then I can't turn the computer on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-computer-on-after-latest-update/67d79119-ad9b-4c61-bc28-8255891a86d7
  3. Cannot turn computer on after latest update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot turn computer on after latest update: I cannot turn computer on after latest update. It shut down immediately after 100% update and then I can't turn the computer on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-computer-on-after-latest-update/67d79119-ad9b-4c61-bc28-8255891a86d7
  4. Cannot see any other network computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot see any other network computers: As of the last few days, I can no longer see any computers on my network other than the one I'm working on. All computer belong to workgroup WORKGROUP, all are running Windows 10 at whatever latest version Microsoft has decided to install, and things were working a week ago....
  5. Cannot see any other network computers

Cannot see any other network computers: As of the last few days, I can no longer see any computers on my network other than the one I'm working on. All computer belong to workgroup WORKGROUP, all are running Windows 10 at whatever latest version Microsoft has decided to install, and things were working a week ago....
  6. Cannot see any other network computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Cannot Find Other Computers in Workgroup

Cannot Find Other Computers in Workgroup: I did a fresh install of Windows 11 Version 21H2, OS build 22000.258 on an older HP Envy notebook. Yes, I know, it's not a fully-compliant machine. However, when I try to connect to other computers in the same workgroup, I have issues. The workgroup name is set correctly, and...
  8. Cannot See All Computers / Servers in Our Workgroup

Cannot See All Computers / Servers in Our Workgroup: I am constantly bothered because some days I can see all of the computers in our workgroup, then other days, I only see some of them. It makes no sense to me. I do not make any changes to my system. I am running Windows 10 Professional. Network Discovery is turned on...
  9. Computers can't see each other on workgroup

Computers can't see each other on workgroup: Recently added both laptops to a workgroup as suggested here to enable file sharing and it worked perfectly. Then suddenly today 1 of the computers can't see the other one. Laptop 1 can't see laptop 2 1 did have a Pin as security while 2 had a password. I've changed 1 to...
  10. Cannot see other computers in workgroup

Cannot see other computers in workgroup: I have a home network defined by workgroup (not homegroup). Three computers are Windows 10 (vers 1703) and one is Windows Vista. One of the Windows 10 computers can not see any of the other network computers. Nor can it see any of the network devices (including the network...