Windows 10: Cannot See Computer on Home Network

Discus and support Cannot See Computer on Home Network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 2 desk top computers on a Home Network: Al and Mary Lou. Mary Lou can see Al (see attachment 1), but Al cannot see Mary Lou (see attachment 2) -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ALN, Aug 8, 2020.

1. ALN
    ALN Win User

Cannot See Computer on Home Network

I have 2 desk top computers on a Home Network: Al and Mary Lou. Mary Lou can see Al (see attachment 1), but Al cannot see Mary Lou (see attachment 2) - it can see Mary Lou's media device, but not the computer. Mary Lou's folders are set to Share with "All." (see attachment 3). At one time all worked well, but now it doesn't. Any suggestions on what to do?

Win10 Pro v 2004 Build 19041.388
    Compaq Pro 6300 SFF

:)

2. rss81 Win User

transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, Aug 8, 2020
  3. billyjk Win User
    Can't See Other PC's On Home Network

I need to connect two laptops on my home network via WiFi, one of which has a printer attached via USB that I need to share. I read this recent post from Yertiz on the same issue. I followed the tutorial here on this forum, and then the suggestions in Yertiz's post. I still can't get things to work - I can't see the other computer from either computer in File Manager, and entering the path to the other computer doesn't seem to work either.

Both laptops are Win10 Home Edition, 1909, with the latest available updates. I did everything Yertiz did:

• SMB 1.0 is checked with automatic removal unchecked.
    • Use sharing wizard is checked
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication and Function Discovery Provider Host services are both running and set to start automatically
    • Network discovery is on for both private and public networks
    • File and printer sharing is on for both private and public networks
    • Public folder sharing is on
    • Password protected sharing is off
    • 128 bit encryption is on

One thing I can't find on either laptop is the SMB Direct setting - it's nowhere to be found. Is this the snag?

The WiFi network at home is fast and stable, although I don't know if there are any router settings that are a blocker for connecting on my home network.

Is there another tutorial that I need to reference? Any other tricks/tweaks?
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    -bjk

billyjk, Aug 8, 2020
  4. Cannot See Computer on Home Network

Computer cannot see itself and other computers cannot see it

Computer C cannot see itself in File Explorer under Network, nor can the other computers (A, D, and X) see it. However, it can see and access computers A, D, and X.

Computers A, D, and X can see and access themselves and each other, but cannot see computer C.

• All computers are in the same workgroup.
    • All have the same subnet mask.
    • All have the same default gateway address.
    The only differences I can see are:

• Computer C is connected to an access point via ethernet; A, D, and X are connected to the same AP via Wi-Fi. Shouldn't matter.
    • Computers C and X are version 1607 build 14393.351; computers A and D are version 1511 build 10586.633; YET all of them say they are up to date. Puzzling and odd, but shouldn't matter.
    Computer C is discoverable.

How do I get everyone on speaking terms with computer C?

Thanks for suggestions.

TryingTiara62, Aug 8, 2020
Thema:

Cannot See Computer on Home Network

1. Cannot See Computer on Home Network - Similar Threads - Cannot Computer Home

2. my computer cannot see itself on network but can see other computers in home network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my computer cannot see itself on network but can see other computers in home network.: I have 4 computers on a home network. One computer can not see itself in NETORK on File Explorer. The other 3 computers all running Win 10 21H2 can see each other but not the one computer that can see itself. I tried the suggestion of enabling SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing...
  3. my computer cannot see itself on network but can see other computers in home network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my computer cannot see itself on network but can see other computers in home network.: I have 4 computers on a home network. One computer can not see itself in NETORK on File Explorer. The other 3 computers all running Win 10 21H2 can see each other but not the one computer that can see itself. I tried the suggestion of enabling SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing...
  4. my computer cannot see itself on network but can see other computers in home network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Cannot see other pc on home network

Cannot see other pc on home network: I have two computers connected to a home network. Both can get to the internet but both cannot see each other. Ping goes through between them. I got the following message while troublshooting: Website (XXXXXX) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts. XXXXXX is...
  6. Cannot see home network but can see other networks

Cannot see home network but can see other networks: My WiFi network is no longer showing up on my Windows 10 PC. I have checked to make sure all discovery is on and I can see other networks but not my Home Network. I have 20 other device connected so I know it is not the router and I have another Windows 10 machine connected....
  7. Cannot see other PC on home network

Cannot see other PC on home network: I have two computers running Win 10 and one running OSX 10.8. The one computer was an in place upgrade to Win10 (which I now regret). The upgraded computer, when running Win7, was seen by the other two computers. Since upgrading to Win10, it's disappeared. I've followed the...
  8. Home Network - Cannot See Drives

Home Network - Cannot See Drives: I have 2 MyCloud Mirror devices attached to my home network. When I open "Network" - I see 2 x Media Devices and 2 x Storage Devices but no drives. Previously I had seen all drives - I can still see some drives on "Quick Access"", but are missing drives such as...
  9. See Other Computer on Home Network

See Other Computer on Home Network: Tried seems everything. One computer on home network can see and access public folders of the other 4 computers. But, other 4 computers cannot do same. All are running updated Windows 10. All sharing and network discovery turned on. Went out to command prompt as...
  10. Cannot see other computer shares on home network

Cannot see other computer shares on home network: I just re-installed Windows 10 clean on my wife's computer. Network Discovery is turned on but I cannot see other computers on my home network. When I enter the UNC path to any network share I get the following: "You don't have permission to access the share". This...