Windows 10: Cannot see computer over the network

Discus and support Cannot see computer over the network in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all. I have two Windows 10 computers on the same network: a desktop and a laptop. The desktop can see the laptop via Windows Explorer-->Network, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/cag8f, Nov 17, 2020.

1. /u/cag8f Win User

Cannot see computer over the network

Hi all. I have two Windows 10 computers on the same network: a desktop and a laptop. The desktop can see the laptop via Windows Explorer-->Network, but the laptop cannot see the desktop. How can I troubleshoot that?

For the past several years, I never experienced this issue. But I recently had to reinstall Windows on my desktop, and I believe the Windows username I used after the reinstall slightly different than the username it had before the reinstall. Maybe this is causing the issue?

Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/cag8f
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/cag8f, Nov 17, 2020
  2. taward Win User

One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Nov 17, 2020
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Unable to browse network computers.

We suggest creating a new administrator user account by following the steps
    here
    . Make sure to use the same network settings that you used for your other computers, then check if you can connect to the home network. Since you also mentioned that Windows 10 was freshly installed on this particular computer, have you already downloaded
    the latest updates? The latest build for Version 1607 is 14393.1715, and 15063.608 for Version 1703. You can check the build version of your computer by following these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Type winver and press Enter.

If you don't have the latest updates, you can follow these steps to install them:

• Click Start.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Click Update & security.
    • Click Check for updates.

If that doesn't work, we'd like screenshots of the network and file sharing settings of the computer that doesn't work, and the settings of one of your other computers that can connect and share files properly on the home network.

Yolvi Ell, Nov 17, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

Basic Network guide

I'll be adding a small page on doing this in windows vista soon, since XP is the same with a step or two less, i assume people will figure it out.

Mussels, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot see computer over the network - Similar Threads - Cannot computer network

2. Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.: My computer will not see my wifi network but will see others around me. Router is seen by phone and streaming devices. Network troubleshooter doesn't help. Connecting via Network cable works but I need wireless connectivity....
  3. Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.: My computer will not see my wifi network but will see others around me. Router is seen by phone and streaming devices. Network troubleshooter doesn't help. Connecting via Network cable works but I need wireless connectivity....
  4. Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Cannot See Computer on Home Network

Cannot See Computer on Home Network: I have 2 desk top computers on a Home Network: Al and Mary Lou. Mary Lou can see Al (see attachment 1), but Al cannot see Mary Lou (see attachment 2) - it can see Mary Lou's media device, but not the computer. Mary Lou's folders are set to Share with "All." (see attachment...
  6. Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.

Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.: I have windows 10 - updated with the latest software. Network adapter drivers are the latest. I am connected via eithernet or Wifi and have the SAME issue. I enabled the settings to allow network discovery and to be seen on the network for private networks. Both Wifi and...
  7. Cannot see computers on Explorer > Network

Cannot see computers on Explorer > Network: I have 4 computers, a WD 2100 NAS and a HDR Fox T2 DVR connected to my network. Two of the computers, a Surface Pro and an HP Pro Book 470 G4 laptop are both running W10 1809 Pro and fully patched and connected by WiFi. The other two are desktop computers and are an Acer...
  8. Seeing a Mac over a network

Seeing a Mac over a network: I'm using the latest version of windows 10 and cannot get my PC to recognize the Mac that is also on the network in file explorer. It does recognize the other PC on the network. All have the same workgroup name. The Mac recognizes both PC's. Bob...
  9. I cannot see computer in my network

I cannot see computer in my network: before last update it was possible to share data between different computer in my network, now I cannot connect to one of them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/i-cannot-see-computer-in-my-network/1884a860-0408-4f23-b8be-084db83a2d78
  10. Cannot see laptops with files shared over the network

Cannot see laptops with files shared over the network: I have two laptops, both sitting next to the WiFi but from some reason I cannot see any shared device on laptop 1. And on laptop 2, I can see all the devices with shared files in them. I can even access the shared files in laptop 1, but I cannot see the shared files on...