Windows 10: Cannot see computers on Explorer > Network

Discus and support Cannot see computers on Explorer > Network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 4 computers, a WD 2100 NAS and a HDR Fox T2 DVR connected to my network. Two of the computers, a Surface Pro and an HP Pro Book 470 G4 laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tr3v0r, May 27, 2019.

1. Tr3v0r Win User

Cannot see computers on Explorer > Network

I have 4 computers, a WD 2100 NAS and a HDR Fox T2 DVR connected to my network.

Two of the computers, a Surface Pro and an HP Pro Book 470 G4 laptop are both running W10 1809 Pro and fully patched and connected by WiFi.

The other two are desktop computers and are an Acer Predator G3-605 and a HP M9266. Both these run W10 1809 Home, fully patched and are connected by Ethernet cables.

The router is a Netgear D6400 and there are a couple of gigabit switched skulking about on my network as well to connect other stuff.

1. On the Surface Pro, I can see all the computers including the Surface Pro itself, the Fox T2 and the NAS with their respective shares in Explorer > Network .

2. On the HP Pro Book, I can only see the Surface Pro , the ProBook itself, and the HP9265. I can't see the Predator, the T2 or the DL2100 NAS.

4. On the HP9265 I can see the Surface Pro , the HP9265 itself and the HP ProBook. I can't see the Predator, the T2 or the DL2100 NAS

4. On the Predator I can see the Surface Pro , the HP9265 and the HP ProBook. I can't see the Predator itself, the T2 or the DL2100 NAS

So I can only see the Predator on my Surface Pro. The Predator can't be seen on its own Network list or on any of the other three computers.

On any of the computers I can map Network drives (\\etc\ShareName) to shares on any of the other computers even though they do not show in Network.

Network discovery is ON on all the computers, they are all assigned to the workgroup MSHOME and they are all running McAfee Livesafe suite.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what I haven't got right on my setup?

:)

Tr3v0r, May 27, 2019
  2. taward Win User

One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, May 27, 2019
  3. rss81 Win User
    transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, May 27, 2019
  4. Frank C Win User

Explorer missing a network device

Hi,
    Missing network device - EXTERNALDRIVE
    Since the last Windows 10 update which I installed on Dec. 9 I am missing one devices in Explorer > Network on one of three network computers.
    They are all present on the other two computers. One of these is Windows 10., the other is Vista Premium.
    The complete device list under network is Frankspc, Charlottespc, and Sue_ASUS and ExternalDrive.
    The missing device on the Explorer list on Frankspc is EXTERNALDRIVE. I can ping it at 192.168.1.3
    Any Ideas on how to get it back in the Explorer list?
    Thanks

HP Envy
    Windows 10

Frank C, May 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot see computers on Explorer > Network - Similar Threads - Cannot computers Explorer

2. Can't see network computer in Explorer ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't see network computer in Explorer ?: Hi,I have several computer on my home network.My main desktop computer is dual boot Win-10 and Win-11When I boot into Win-11 I can see access all my network computers and devices in File explorer.But when I boot into Win-10 I can not see the network computers. I can see other...
  3. Can't see network computer in Explorer ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't see network computer in Explorer ?: Hi,I have several computer on my home network.My main desktop computer is dual boot Win-10 and Win-11When I boot into Win-11 I can see access all my network computers and devices in File explorer.But when I boot into Win-10 I can not see the network computers. I can see other...
  4. Can't see network computer in Explorer ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.

Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.: My computer will not see my wifi network but will see others around me. Router is seen by phone and streaming devices. Network troubleshooter doesn't help. Connecting via Network cable works but I need wireless connectivity....
  6. Cannot see computer over the network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot see computer over the network: Hi all. I have two Windows 10 computers on the same network: a desktop and a laptop. The desktop can see the laptop via Windows Explorer-->Network, but the laptop cannot see the desktop. How can I troubleshoot that? For the past several years, I never experienced this issue....
  7. Cannot See Computer on Home Network

Cannot See Computer on Home Network: I have 2 desk top computers on a Home Network: Al and Mary Lou. Mary Lou can see Al (see attachment 1), but Al cannot see Mary Lou (see attachment 2) - it can see Mary Lou's media device, but not the computer. Mary Lou's folders are set to Share with "All." (see attachment...
  8. File Explorer Does Not See A Network Computer

File Explorer Does Not See A Network Computer: Am using Windows 10 version 10 build 18362l.145 on three machines all on my Private Network. Machines 1 and 2 show each other in File Explorer/Network. But Machine 3 shows only itself there. 1 and 2 show 3 and can access 3 at will. Each machine has Network discovery turned...
  9. File Explorer Does Not See A Network Computer

File Explorer Does Not See A Network Computer: I have two computers on my private network, Dell-Desktop and Acer-Laptop. File Explorer on the Dell does not see the Acer. The Acer's File Explorer sees the Dell just fine and allows me to access the shared files on the Dell. I can, from the command line on the Dell, ping...
  10. Cannot see network drives in Windows Explorer

Cannot see network drives in Windows Explorer: I have a Surface 4 Pro with Windows 10. I have two DLink NAS drives and in my old PC when I looked in Windows Explorer/Network I could see them and map them to a drive. Now when I look in Network in Windows Explorer I can only see printers and routers but no NAS units....