Windows 10: Cannot see Desktop or Laptop on the network

Discus and support Cannot see Desktop or Laptop on the network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently updated Windows 10 Pro to 1903. So far everything worked ok, except that My Desktop cannot see my Laptop and vice versa. I tried all sorts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NVFOX, May 31, 2019.

1. NVFOX Win User

Cannot see Desktop or Laptop on the network

I recently updated Windows 10 Pro to 1903. So far everything worked ok, except that My Desktop cannot see my Laptop and vice versa.

I tried all sorts of things without resolving this issue. Even accessing \\198.168.0.1 tells me that it cannot access \\XXXXXPC with the message: "Error Code 0x80070035 The network path cannot be found." I had also a new router installed, but all settings are ok. I am very frustrated and do not know what to do to get things going again.

Annotation: This is not the first time that this happened, but eventually I was able to resolve issues myself. I think MS makes it more and more complicated with networking. They make it now a book with seven seals, which is no longer possible to crack. Simplification should be applied. Making things simple is one of the best selling arguments. MS leaves customers totally in the dark about networking, especially home users who are not NERDS.

***Modified title from: Cannot see my desktop nor laptop. ***

:)

NVFOX, May 31, 2019

2. Laptop won't show list of available networks

We suggest checking the list of available Wi-Fi networks on your laptop.

Please follow these steps:

• Click the Windows logo.
    • Go to Settings (gear icon).
    • Select Network and Internet.
    • Then Wi-Fi.
    • Make sure the Wi-Fi radio button is On.
    • Select Show available networks, then you'll be able to see the list of available Wi-Fi networks.

Update us with the outcome so we provide further assistance.

Robert Caw, May 31, 2019
  3. sarahk Win User
    Win 10 laptop can't see a folder on desktop

Hi

My network is really simple. A win10 laptop and a win10 desktop. The desktop has a couple of hard drives and the laptop needs to see one of them.

At various times it's all been good but then something mysterious happens and we're back to square one.

So
    • I've set up a homegroup and both computers belong to it
    • I've set up sharing so that the homegroup can read/write
    • I've added my husbands email address as a user on the desktop and accepted the invitation so that it doesn't show as pending

Yet, when I go to the laptop
    • I can see the homegroup and the two computers that are in it
    • I can see the network and the same two computers
    • If I click on the drives I get a no-permission error

I've obviously missed a step somewhere and I've gone over tutorials and guides but can't work out what it is. Any ideas?

sarahk, May 31, 2019
  4. Namslas90 Win User

HELP! My Laptop has gone into SLOW MOTION!

Should be able to get a "step-by-step here;

Support | Dell Deutschland

Namslas90, May 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot see Desktop or Laptop on the network - Similar Threads - Cannot Desktop Laptop

2. Windows 11 laptop cannot see Windows 10 desktop on the network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 laptop cannot see Windows 10 desktop on the network.: I have two computers : Windows 11 laptop connected over wifi and Windows 10 desktop connected over ethernet. The win 10 desktop sees the laptop on the network but the Win 11 laptop does not see the Win 10 laptop.I have tried olmost evertything possible , including new driver...
  3. Windows 11 laptop cannot see Windows 10 desktop on the network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 laptop cannot see Windows 10 desktop on the network.: I have two computers : Windows 11 laptop connected over wifi and Windows 10 desktop connected over ethernet. The win 10 desktop sees the laptop on the network but the Win 11 laptop does not see the Win 10 laptop.I have tried olmost evertything possible , including new driver...
  4. Laptop Cannot See Other Computers in Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Cannot See Other Computers in Network: Hello, my laptop cannot find other computers in the network, even though the other computers can find my laptop. A few weeks ago it was working correctly, but I had to be away for a few weeks. Now that I have returned, it seems as though the feature is not working correctly....
  5. Laptop Cannot See Other Computers in Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Cannot See Other Computers in Network: Hello, my laptop cannot find other computers in the network, even though the other computers can find my laptop. A few weeks ago it was working correctly, but I had to be away for a few weeks. Now that I have returned, it seems as though the feature is not working correctly....
  6. Laptop Cannot See Other Computers in Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Laptop cannot see WiFi networks

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop cannot see WiFi networks: My laptop has lost the ability to see available WiFi networks, including my home network, so is unable to connect to the internet unless it has a LAN cable attached, in which case it accesses the internet without any issues. It used to work fine on either LAN or WiFi, its...
  8. Desktop PC cannot see other computers on network

Desktop PC cannot see other computers on network: My windows desktop has recently stopped displaying network connections in file explorer. It is happily connected to the network and communicating as I can access it from my windows laptop. But as far as it is concerned there are no other computers on the network only network...
  9. Laptop sees desktop, but desktop doesn't see laptop

Laptop sees desktop, but desktop doesn't see laptop: I'm configuring a new Win10 laptop. Initially, the laptop and my desktop (also Win10) could see each other under the Computer section under Network in File Explorer. This is over a hardwired Ethernet connection via a switch. I started copying a bunch of files from the desktop...
  10. Cannot see my desktop nor laptop.

Cannot see my desktop nor laptop.: I recently updated Windows 10 Pro to 1903. So far everything worked ok, except that My Desktop cannot see my Laptop and vice versa. I tried all sorts of things without resolving this issue. Even accessing \\198.168.0.1 tells me that it cannot access \\XXXXXPC with the...