Windows 10: Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

Discus and support Cannot see File History in backup to external drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I use a WD My Passport to do backups for my HP laptop. I use Windows 10 Home edition. When I did a backup recently, I did not see my File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JamesCD123, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

Hello, I use a WD My Passport to do backups for my HP laptop. I use Windows 10 Home edition. When I did a backup recently, I did not see my File History in there. It just showed a System/Disk? image on the backup drive and some other file ending in .cat. I keep all of my files and folders in my User folder. I do have the File History selected. So is there an option to backup/see the File History when doing a backup to my external drive?

Thank you

:)

JamesCD123, Mar 7, 2020
  2. Rhen Pal Win User

Windows 10-Reconnect your drive...No longer able to use original USB HDD for File History backups

Perform these steps to enable backup:

• Connect an external hard drive to your computer.
    • Next, open the Settings app from your Start Menu.
    • Navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click or tap the “Add a drive” option under Back up using File History to add an external drive that File History will back up to.
    It’ll list external drives and give you the option to back up to them.

Regards.

Rhen Pal, Mar 7, 2020
  3. File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Mar 7, 2020
  4. Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Mar 7, 2020
Thema:

Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

1. Cannot see File History in backup to external drive - Similar Threads - Cannot File History

2. Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history: I have seen and followed all the explanations to use file history with windows 11 to backup files to an external drive, But I can't find how to select or add files to backup as it was possible with windows 10. The only option left is exclude files to backup...Anyone knows how...
  3. Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history: I have seen and followed all the explanations to use file history with windows 11 to backup files to an external drive, But I can't find how to select or add files to backup as it was possible with windows 10. The only option left is exclude files to backup...Anyone knows how...
  4. Cannot Select Backup History File Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Select Backup History File Drive: My computer has been backing up to an external drive that has died. Window says to reconnect. What I need to do is select another drive, but none of the 12 drives I have tried to select is acceptable to Windows. So what do I do?...
  5. Cannot Select Backup History File Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Select Backup History File Drive: My computer has been backing up to an external drive that has died. Window says to reconnect. What I need to do is select another drive, but none of the 12 drives I have tried to select is acceptable to Windows. So what do I do?...
  6. Cannot Select Backup History File Drive

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. File History can't see external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History can't see external hard drive: File History can no longer see my external hard drive, 4tb WD My Passport. I have used this drive previously with file history on this very computer and on my laptop so I know it can work. A little while ago I decided to temporarily stop using File History, but now when I try...
  8. periodic backup to external drive using file history

periodic backup to external drive using file history: If I set up my files to be backed up to an external hard drive using file history, do I have to keep the external drive connected continuously? Or can I hook up external drive periodically?...
  9. Cannot backup files to file history

Cannot backup files to file history: Hi, I am trying to backup my files to file history for the first time. When I do so, it says that file history is backing up your files for the first time. However, a few minutes later, the backup stops. When I check the settings app, it tells me that my files have not been...
  10. File History: Backup Multiple Computers to One External Drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History: Backup Multiple Computers to One External Drive?: Hi, I'd like to use the same usb drive to backup multiple computers. They have the same user id, so I was wondering if the backups would be kept in different directories. Please let me know exactly how multiple computer/users/ etc. are stored with File History. (and if...