Windows 10: Cannot see NTFS drive after trying to re-partition

Discus and support Cannot see NTFS drive after trying to re-partition in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I had my Boot Camp running from Windows 7 to upgraded Windows 10 without any issues for almost 8-9 years. My set up is High Sierra 5,1 Mac... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LEO MODE, Jul 27, 2020.

1. LEO MODE Win User

Cannot see NTFS drive after trying to re-partition

Hello,

I had my Boot Camp running from Windows 7 to upgraded Windows 10 without any issues for almost 8-9 years. My set up is High Sierra 5,1 Mac Pro.

I was originally using 1TB SSD and split that into 256GB Mac OS and 768GB Boot Camp. I moved my 256GB Mac OS by using Carbon Copy Cloner onto a different SSD, so I went into Windows and tried to add that 256GB partition onto Boot Camp using NTFS for more storage. Windows 10 Disk Management software didn't work so I had to use a third-party software called AOMEI to be honest I don't remember but I think it was this. Definitely not Paragon.

The application did some work in Windows, and it said it had to reboot. It rebooted and went into old DOS style program mode and was running for a long time. I went to sleep and came back in the morning and it said it couldn't do it. So once I restarted my Mac Pro the Windows wouldn't boot.

I went back to High Sierra and now it's greyed out. I went into Disk Utility but cannot mount. I went into Terminal same thing.

I was able to go into Disk Utility and delete the 256GB partition as FREE partition. That's about it. I couldn't mount/alter my Boot Camp partition.

If possible, I really do not want to lose it because I have some valuable data in there. What next step should I do? Thanks in advance.

I also got some advice from some other person, that I should use GParted to merge those 2 partitions in Boot mode and use Windows setup Command Prompt to use bootrec /fixboot and /fixmbr, but I couldn't make any Gparted available for USB boot. Below was what I did.

1 downloaded Tuxboot https://tuxboot.org/

2 chose gparted_live-stable under On-Line Distribution

3 tried both 3 methods of the version current, 1.0.0-1.i686-pae, 1.0.0-1-i686

4 Clicked OK and it automatically downloaded the bootable in usb file.

5 Tried putting ALT-OPT on my Mac Pro, and showed EFI, but didn't boot. Went into Mac Recovery Boot and said it couldn't boot.

6 Also tried with Surface Pro 4 by using 2 methods https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023511/surface-boot-surface-from-a-usb-device, still didn't boot from USB.

Thanks in advance.

:)

LEO MODE, Jul 27, 2020
  2. FX-GMC Win User

Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Jul 27, 2020
  3. Corrupted NTFS Partition Table

I have a 160GB drive that for some reason or another has a corrupted NTFS partition table.

The NTFS partition (about 129GB) is inaccessible, (I get an error message stating that I need to format the drive inorder to use it.) and the remaining free space is in RAW format. For some reason the normal tools will not recognize the original NTFS partition and I cannot repair/recover the partition.

Can anyone recommend any tools that they've used to repair/recover NTFS partition information?

Part of me is thinking of just formatting the drive and then trying to recover what I can through recovery software.

Any idea's?

ex-dohctor, Jul 27, 2020
  4. Cannot see NTFS drive after trying to re-partition

How to convert RAW partition to NTFS partition.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

Please try the below steps to convert the RAW partition to NTFS partition.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• At the command prompt, type convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs, where drive_letter is the letter of the drive you want to convert, and then press Enter. For example,
      convert E: /fs:ntfs would convert drive E to the NTFS format.

• Type the name of the volume you want to convert, and then press Enter. You must use the existing name of the volume or the conversion will be canceled. You can view all available volumes in the
      Computer folder under Hard Disk Drives
    Notes: After you convert a partition to NTFS, you cannot convert it back. If you want to use the FAT file system on the partition again, you will need to reformat the partition, which erases all data on it.

Although the chance of corruption or data loss during a conversion is minimal, you should back up all data on the partition before you begin.

Hope this helps. Post us with status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

Cannot see NTFS drive after trying to re-partition

1. Cannot see NTFS drive after trying to re-partition - Similar Threads - Cannot NTFS drive

2. NTFS Drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS Drives?: I did all the windows updates all at once and now when I try to access my drives it says NTFS? When I try to open the drives file names are not showing up either any quick fix to this? I can’t access the recovery options as well the buttons are not working there...
  3. NTFS Drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NTFS Drives?: I did all the windows updates all at once and now when I try to access my drives it says NTFS? When I try to open the drives file names are not showing up either any quick fix to this? I can’t access the recovery options as well the buttons are not working there...
  4. NTFS Drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Re-uniting a partition with the C drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-uniting a partition with the C drive.: Hi,I cloned my 500 Gb HDD with Windiws 11 on it to a 2 Tb SSD.I used Maxrium Reflect Free.Everything went fine or so it seemed, until, to my astonishmetn, I noticed my C:/ drive was only 500 Gb big or assumed to be.So I had a look in disk management and there I noticed an...
  6. Re-uniting a partition with the C drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-uniting a partition with the C drive.: Hi,I cloned my 500 Gb HDD with Windiws 11 on it to a 2 Tb SSD.I used Maxrium Reflect Free.Everything went fine or so it seemed, until, to my astonishmetn, I noticed my C:/ drive was only 500 Gb big or assumed to be.So I had a look in disk management and there I noticed an...
  7. raw and ntfs partition

raw and ntfs partition: Had a disk partition that turned raw. Already read all the posts on converting raw partitions to ntfs partitions without formatting disk.Convert d: /fs:ntfs doesn't work returning message "d: is already ntfs". If I open disk management the partition d: is marked as raw, btw....
  8. Re-Partition Hard Drive?

Re-Partition Hard Drive?: Hello, since I first bought my new HP Pavilion it came set up with 118GB for the C drive and 931GB for the D drive. All of the software I install quickly takes up space in my C drive so I am constantly having to delete things to make room. I have a lot of software needed for...
  9. Partition Managers fail after trying to re-size windows partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition Managers fail after trying to re-size windows partition: Hi folks with latest versions of Windows - if you try and re-size the windows partition from Within windows the system fails -- you used to be able to start the resize then windows would boot into the relevant partition manager in command mode and finish. Now the re-boot...
  10. Partition Managers fail after trying to re-size windows partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Partition Managers fail after trying to re-size windows partition: Hi folks with latest versions of Windows - if you try and re-size the windows partition from Within windows the system fails -- you used to be able to start the resize then windows would boot into the relevant partition manager in command mode and finish. Now the re-boot...