Windows 10: Cannot select an existing back up drive in file history

Discus and support Cannot select an existing back up drive in file history in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had to reinstall windows and am currently trying to restore my files from a previous backup. In the reinstall process, it gave my computer a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PaulGB18, Oct 17, 2020.

1. PaulGB18 Win User

Cannot select an existing back up drive in file history

I had to reinstall windows and am currently trying to restore my files from a previous backup. In the reinstall process, it gave my computer a new name.

When I have tried to restore my files, I select the drive and only one back up folder is shown. The original back up cannot be selected.

Cannot select an existing back up drive in file history 79d76891-6089-49c3-ab02-9ca2661a6708?upload=true.png

The folder I really want is here:

Cannot select an existing back up drive in file history 09cac90f-b92b-4fc6-83db-d840f03ce0f0?upload=true.png

Any ideas on how to access it please will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

:)

PaulGB18, Oct 17, 2020

2. File History - Cannot "Add a Drive" again after selecting "Stop using drive"

pizzle101,

There is a work around.

Create a new folder in the existing drive or you can select the drive that you need and share it on the network and give permission to everyone and then follow these steps

• Enter File History in the search box, and then tap or click
      File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Change your File History drive page, do one of the following:

• Select a network location, tap or click Add network location, browse to or enter a location, tap or click
        Select folder, and then tap or click OK.

• In the network location \\127.0.0.1 and select the shared drive.

• When you're asked, tap or click Yes to copy all of the versions of your files to the new drive.

Mark Antony86, Oct 17, 2020
  3. File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Oct 17, 2020
  4. Cannot select an existing back up drive in file history

How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

Cannot select an existing back up drive in file history

1. Cannot select an existing back up drive in file history - Similar Threads - Cannot select existing

2. How to select files to be backed up in File History?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to select files to be backed up in File History?: How to select files to be backed up in File History?I am using Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-select-files-to-be-backed-up-in-file/daf5ef55-1097-4ee5-a903-e3e13eaf8c08
  3. How to select files to be backed up in File History?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to select files to be backed up in File History?: How to select files to be backed up in File History?I am using Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-select-files-to-be-backed-up-in-file/daf5ef55-1097-4ee5-a903-e3e13eaf8c08
  4. Cannot Select Backup History File Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Select Backup History File Drive: My computer has been backing up to an external drive that has died. Window says to reconnect. What I need to do is select another drive, but none of the 12 drives I have tried to select is acceptable to Windows. So what do I do?...
  5. Cannot Select Backup History File Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Select Backup History File Drive: My computer has been backing up to an external drive that has died. Window says to reconnect. What I need to do is select another drive, but none of the 12 drives I have tried to select is acceptable to Windows. So what do I do?...
  6. Cannot Select Backup History File Drive

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. What happens when I select a drive to use with File History Back Up?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What happens when I select a drive to use with File History Back Up?: I'd like to use the File History Back Up feature. I bought a Solid State Drive and now have it running as my system drive. My old drive is connected as a second drive and has all my saved data. I want to know what will happen if I select my second drive as the Back Up Drive....
  8. file history not backing selected folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file history not backing selected folder: Folders have been selected for backing up and a few have been excluded. But, having selected \pictures and all it's subfolders, File History doesn't back up a sub folder. The folder it doesn't backup is my main folder and is pretty large at several gigabytes, but is that a...
  9. File history/ Back-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de
  10. W10 File History not backing up selected folders

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    W10 File History not backing up selected folders: Been having trouble with my WD external drive backup s/w, it keeps losing track of its external drive, so I decided to simply try using W10 File History to manage things. First, I have installed a SSD and migrated my OS there (as C:/), then formatted and set up all libraries...