Windows 10: Cannot Select 'Keep personal files and apps' when updating to 1903 after changing Program...

Discus and support Cannot Select 'Keep personal files and apps' when updating to 1903 after changing Program... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, I have a 128GB SSD where Windows boots from and a 1TB HDD that I am using to store all my documents and my Program Files as I don't have an awful... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bongster7, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Bongster7 Win User

Cannot Select 'Keep personal files and apps' when updating to 1903 after changing Program...

So, I have a 128GB SSD where Windows boots from and a 1TB HDD that I am using to store all my documents and my Program Files as I don't have an awful lot of storage space on my SSD.

I have changed my Program Files directory from my `C:\` drive (SSD) to my `C:\` drive (HDD) following this video tutorial(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWEpXMBAtHg) updating both `Computer\HKEY\_LOCAL\_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\` and `Computer\HKEY\_LOCAL\_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\`

When I try use the [Media Install Tool](https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10) I get to the part where you can choose whether to
    - `Keep personal files and apps`
    - `Keep Personal files only`
    - `Keep Nothing`

However, only `Keep Nothing` is able to be selected, the other two are greyed out.

I move the Program Files directory back to `C:\` from `D:\` and now I can select all options.

I guess my question is. What should I do in this instance?

Should I select `Keep Nothing` when my Program Files are pointed to the `D:\` drive? What will actually happen in this scenario? Will that also format my `D:\` drive? Any potential instability issues?

Or point my Program Files to my `C:\` drive and select `Keep personal files and apps` then re point my Program files back to my `D:\` afterwards? Any potential issues with this?

Or any other solutions?

Any help will be greatly appreciated?

:)

Bongster7, Jun 13, 2019
  2. Anne Ros Win User

how do I change the default program for extracting files

Hi,

You can change the default program that's extracting the files by either changing it from the settings or right-clicking on the zipped file and choose which program will open it. We'd like to know which program are you using yo extract the files.

In the meantime, follow the steps below to change the default program:

• Right-click on the file you want to extract.
    • Choose Open with and select which program you want to use.
    • In other cases, a new menu will appear when choosing Open with. You can choose "Choose Default Program" from there.

Change the default programs from the Settings.

• Go to Settings. Choose Apps then
      Default apps.
    • Select the app or program you want to use as default from the list.

We'll wait for your response.

Anne Ros, Jun 13, 2019
  3. monim1 Win User
    EMUI

Here's the steps to update EMUI 4.1.1 to 5.0 :
    • Download the EMUI 5.0(desired version) .zip file, and unzip it.
    • Place the .hwt file in the HWThemes folder from your phone.
    • Using the Themes app, apply the new theme.
    • Restart the phone, in order to see all the new changes.
    And you’re done!

monim1, Jun 13, 2019
  4. Cannot Select 'Keep personal files and apps' when updating to 1903 after changing Program...

MP4 Personal Video files lag after August 2016 update (windows 10)

Hi Nicki,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Try few of the troubleshooting steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Video playback troubleshooter and check

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Video playback options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the troubleshooter.

Step 2: I suggest you to copy the files from your computer to another working computer and check if you are able to access them.

This will let us know if the issue is with specific files types on your computer.

Hope it helps. Update of the status of accessing MP4 Personal Video files for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

Cannot Select 'Keep personal files and apps' when updating to 1903 after changing Program...

1. Cannot Select 'Keep personal files and apps' when updating to 1903 after changing Program... - Similar Threads - Cannot Select 'Keep

2. When selecting the keep my files option, will my personal data be erased?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When selecting the keep my files option, will my personal data be erased?: When selecting the keep my files option, will my personal data be erased? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-selecting-the-keep-my-files-option-will-my/1fd278a7-ac68-4825-96a1-1773bc3ef4f6
  3. When selecting the keep my files option, will my personal data be erased?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When selecting the keep my files option, will my personal data be erased?: When selecting the keep my files option, will my personal data be erased? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-selecting-the-keep-my-files-option-will-my/1fd278a7-ac68-4825-96a1-1773bc3ef4f6
  4. When selecting the keep my files option, will my personal data be erased?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options greyed out during...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options greyed out during...: I went through the installer process for Windows 11 as usual with no issues currently on Win 10 19043.1165. However, when it reaches the Windows 11 Setup process on the "Choose What to Keep" screen, the "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options are...
  6. "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options greyed out during...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options greyed out during...: I went through the installer process for Windows 11 as usual with no issues currently on Win 10 19043.1165. However, when it reaches the Windows 11 Setup process on the "Choose What to Keep" screen, the "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options are...
  7. "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options greyed out during...

8. Can't Select "keep personal files and apps" When Re-installing Windows 10 to Fix My...

Can't Select "keep personal files and apps" When Re-installing Windows 10 to Fix My...: I opened my laptop and something strange happened. My "Avira Antivirus" and "Windows security" have disappeared from my computer. I did a little some deep search, and found out that my windows got corrupted and re-installing windows using the media creation tool can fix...
  9. can't select "keep personal files and apps" when installing windows 10

can't select "keep personal files and apps" when installing windows 10: I opened my laptop and something strange happened. My "Avira Antivirus" and "Windows security" have disappeared from my computer. I did a little some deep search, and found out that my windows got corrupted and re-installing windows using the media creation tool can fix...
  10. Windows 10 Build 17112 - Can not select Keep personal files and apps

Windows 10 Build 17112 - Can not select Keep personal files and apps: [img] was trying to update to latest build but it doesnt want me to select to keep personal files and apps? 105456