Windows 10: Cannot select second Nvida GPU in Graphics Settings GPU Preference.

Discus and support Cannot select second Nvida GPU in Graphics Settings GPU Preference. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; First of all, I have an Nvida 1070 (primary) and a 770 (extended). My integrated GPU is disabled in the BIOS. I'm running Windows 10. So, what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dave7t1, Nov 20, 2018.

1. dave7t1 Win User

Cannot select second Nvida GPU in Graphics Settings GPU Preference.

First of all, I have an Nvida 1070 (primary) and a 770 (extended). My integrated GPU is disabled in the BIOS. I'm running Windows 10.

So, what I would like to do is make Chrome use the 770 since I use my primary 1070 to game and what have you. While watching videos on youtube or twitch, etc, Chrome has a very noticeable performance impact on the 1070, regardless of which display Chrome's window is on. It will simply not use the 770 at all under any circumstance.

Thinking I could go to Settings->Display->Graphics Settings and select the GPU chrome uses, I browse for chrome.exe, click Options and I can either choose the 1070, or the 1070. The 770 is neither designated as the Power Saving GPU, or High Performance GPU. Therefore, the 770 simply cannot be selected as an Apps GPU.

So I'm at a loss as to why you cannot specifically select a GPU, but are made to choose between only 2, which Windows selects for you based on perf and power. I'm not dumb, I should be able to select the GPU specifically. I'm currently using Firefox because of this. Firefox uses the GPU of the display the window is on...as expected, without having to fruitlessly try to change some bs windows setting that simply doesn't work in my situation.

Is there at least a way to select a GPU in the Registry?

Thanks.

:)

dave7t1, Nov 20, 2018

2. having issues with multi GPU

I’m trying to offload certain apps to my iGPU on the second screen, using the new graphics settings in the recent win 10 release. the issue is it’s only showing my 1070. lists it as both power saving GPU, and
    high performance GPU.

I’ve been fiddling for a while now with no joy, and i’m really hoping one of you guys has an idea they can suggest to sort this!

I can extend onto the second screen no probs with it plugged into the iGPU, but the 1070 is still listed as both power saving GPU and high performance GPU.

Are there requirements for this? certain level of iGPU for it to work?

Thanks

Edit - setting the secondary screen connected to the iGPU to be the "main" display in graphics settings makes my iGPU show as both power saving and high performance GPU, I just can't seem to get them
    to be one and not the other.

GaryDougall, Nov 22, 2018
  3. Change selected GPU in Graphic Settings?

But I don't want to change any gpu setting, what I want is something like this, as I seen in many places:

Cannot select second Nvida GPU in Graphics Settings GPU Preference. 52817c80-bd8b-4b72-9488-81eb720387c0?upload=true.png

With the Intel HD Graphics as the Power Saving GPU, and in my case the Radeon RX 580 as the High Performance GPU.

But I don't know how to make Windows change this.

Alvaro Sugueti, Nov 22, 2018
  4. Cannot select second Nvida GPU in Graphics Settings GPU Preference.

Change selected GPU in Graphic Settings?

I have 2 GPU:

Cannot select second Nvida GPU in Graphics Settings GPU Preference. c2d1fe9f-3165-4c17-8877-4e40ce8a4425?upload=true.png

Applications can see both, and the ones that have the config let me change the GPU in the options, working just fine.

But most applications don't have this option.

But since Aprils update, now Windows 10 has an option called the Graphic Settings, that lets you specify if you want to run an app with the "Power Saving GPU", or the "High performance GPU".

Sadly, Windows doesn't seem to recognize the Radeon RX 580 as a High Performance GPU, so as you can see here, this option doesn't work.

Cannot select second Nvida GPU in Graphics Settings GPU Preference. e355f7aa-a472-4b8b-93de-3652492eb77b?upload=true.png

So... Is there any way to change what Windows defines as a "High performance GPU"? Even if I have to change the registry.

Alvaro Sugueti, Nov 22, 2018
Thema:

Cannot select second Nvida GPU in Graphics Settings GPU Preference.

1. Cannot select second Nvida GPU in Graphics Settings GPU Preference. - Similar Threads - Cannot select second

2. Secondary GPU not showing in graphics settings/graphics performance preferences

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secondary GPU not showing in graphics settings/graphics performance preferences: I currently have two gpus in my system, a GTX 1080 primary and an RX570 secondary. I would like to use my primary gpu for playing games and my secondary gpu for other tasks using graphics performance preferences but only my 1080 is showing up in the options. I have drivers...
  3. Secondary GPU not showing in graphics settings/graphics performance preferences

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary GPU not showing in graphics settings/graphics performance preferences: I currently have two gpus in my system, a GTX 1080 primary and an RX570 secondary. I would like to use my primary gpu for playing games and my secondary gpu for other tasks using graphics performance preferences but only my 1080 is showing up in the options. I have drivers...
  4. Secondary GPU not showing in graphics settings/graphics performance preferences

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to select GPU in Windows Graphics Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to select GPU in Windows Graphics Settings: Problem: Windows does not allow me to choose which GPU to use for applications. Back in the day, this was done through Nvidia Control Panel. Windows will only show the GPU which the primary monitor has been connected to. I AM NOT trying to SLI these cards, I am trying to...
  6. Not able to select gpu when selecting graphics settings in graphics performance preferances

Not able to select gpu when selecting graphics settings in graphics performance preferances: Hello. I have been having this problem since today when i downgraded from windows 11 to windows 10. I was having too much problems on windows 11 so i went to 10. When i was on windows 11 i was able to choose between my apu im guessing it is and my discrete gpu on graphics...
  7. Not able to select gpu when selecting graphics settings in graphics performance preferances

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to select gpu when selecting graphics settings in graphics performance preferances: Hello. I have been having this problem since today when i downgraded from windows 11 to windows 10. I was having too much problems on windows 11 so i went to 10. When i was on windows 11 i was able to choose between my apu im guessing it is and my discrete gpu on graphics...
  8. Not able to select gpu when selecting graphics settings in graphics performance preferances

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. GPU not available as graphics preference in windows settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    GPU not available as graphics preference in windows settings: Hello, I am having issues getting some programs to utilize my dedicated graphics card on my laptop over the default integrated graphics. Normally this GPU would appear as the the high performance option in graphics settings but it is no longer there and I cant force certain...
  10. Change selected GPU in Graphic Settings?

Change selected GPU in Graphic Settings?: I have 2 GPU: [ATTACH] Applications can see both, and the ones that have the config let me change the GPU in the options, working just fine. But most applications don't have this option. But since Aprils update, now Windows 10 has an option called the Graphic Settings,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. I cant see my 2nd gpu in 10 graphic settings for power saving