Windows 10: Cannot set a portable app as a default app in Windows 10

Discus and support Cannot set a portable app as a default app in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've just installed Windows 10 Home 64 bit on a new ssd (I put the ISO on an usb drive using MediaCreationTool1803) and I'm installing all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GianniT, Oct 29, 2018.

1. GianniT Win User

Cannot set a portable app as a default app in Windows 10

I've just installed Windows 10 Home 64 bit on a new ssd (I put the ISO on an usb drive using MediaCreationTool1803) and I'm installing all the softwares I need. Among these there is "Nulloy", a portable music player app, which I've been using for a long time as default music app on my old ssd (with Windows 10 installed).

I've tried in last few minutes to set Nulloy as default app for mp3 files (right click on a mp3 file > Properties > Change >
    More app > Look for another app on this PC) but Windows does not let me do it. Moreover Windows does not give any error when I select Nulloy from explorer in order to set it as default app for music, so I don't get what it's wrong (I tried with nulloy version 7.5 to 8.2).

Are there other ways to set a portable app as a default app?

:)

GianniT, Oct 29, 2018
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Windows 10 forgets default apps

I have noticed like not 5mins ago that Winamp just got kicked out of my default apps list in Windows 10 Pro.
    I installed this installation not max 3 weeks ago with fresh downloaded Windows 10 Pro using Microsoft Media Creation Tool, is there a way to fix this bcs I using sfc /scannow don't do a lot for me and I have run it before on this installation.

Before u ask, I have fully updated my Windows 10 with all non-insider/beta updates.

The only thing I have disabled is the uac prompt that popup when u need admin for applications to run bcs it's simply annoying.

I don't remember having all these problems with Windows 8.1 Pro when i was using that and I am really thinking about going back so I can have "fully control" over Windows again with like disabling all the admin crap bcs I feel like it's messing more up and makes things less useful in Windows 10 with all these small problems I have and I read a lot of ppl having problems with various things time and time again where they needed to reinstall Win10 over and over to get it to work fully.

Any advice on how I can get Windows 10 to just work as a "daily driver" without all these small annoying things? *Frown Cannot set a portable app as a default app in Windows 10 :(

puma99dk|, Oct 29, 2018
  3. Anakunda Win User
    Setting defaults by app

I need help to understand how do set ALL supported file formats to associated app.
    In Settings > Default Apps > Defaults by app > APP > Manage I get overlong list of file formats, most of them unassociated.
    I don't find any method how to select them all and assign them to this App. In Windows 8.x it worked this way I have detailed list with sorting and multiselect capabilities. That list in Windows 10 is dummy and unable to assign other way than selecting App from drobdown for each format. Is that smarter list from Windows 8 really gone?

Anakunda, Oct 29, 2018
  4. Cannot set a portable app as a default app in Windows 10

Cannot set "Calendar" as default app

Hi J.C.Coelho,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 Technical Preview is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to try the below steps and check whether you are able to make the Calendar as default.

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Select Default apps from the left pane.
    • Click on Choose default app by protocol at the bottom.
    • Select the Calendar and choose an app.
    Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

Cannot set a portable app as a default app in Windows 10

1. Cannot set a portable app as a default app in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot set portable

2. Cannot set default app for .md on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot set default app for .md on Windows 11: I try to set default app for .md as followed : Start > Settings > Apps > Default app > Type in: .mdBut .md file is not found in the list. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-set-default-app-for-md-on-windows-11/32e8d5cb-7485-428d-b4de-9c73c5bf7e6e
  3. Cannot set default app for .md on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot set default app for .md on Windows 11: I try to set default app for .md as followed : Start > Settings > Apps > Default app > Type in: .mdBut .md file is not found in the list. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-set-default-app-for-md-on-windows-11/32e8d5cb-7485-428d-b4de-9c73c5bf7e6e
  4. Cannot change default apps in settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  5. Cannot change default apps in settings

Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  6. Cannot set default app for MP4 on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot set default app for MP4 on Windows 11: I am coming across a strange issue, each time I open an MP4 file I'm asked which application I wish to use. It's incredibly frustrating when going through various files of footage. I attempted to set the default app for the MP4 extension but I don't get this option. I can...
  7. Cannot set default app for MP4 on Windows 11

Cannot set default app for MP4 on Windows 11: I am coming across a strange issue, each time I open an MP4 file I'm asked which application I wish to use. It's incredibly frustrating when going through various files of footage. I attempted to set the default app for the MP4 extension but I don't get this option. I can...
  8. default app setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    default app setting: Good day ! I am unable to set Google Chrome as a default browser on my PC with windows 10. Is automatically set to Microsoft Edge and all attempts to change it to other type are in. Please help me to resolve this issue. Regards, J.M.Bhuskute...
  9. Setting defaults by app

Setting defaults by app: I need help to understand how do set ALL supported file formats to associated app. In Settings > Default Apps > Defaults by app > APP > Manage I get overlong list of file formats, most of them unassociated. I don't find any method how to select them all and assign them to...
  10. Set default app as OpenOffice Writer - cannot set in Windows 10

Set default app as OpenOffice Writer - cannot set in Windows 10: When I try to set a default app I have three options in Settings>dafault apps for doc and docx: two are for versions of Microsoft Word and one for the App Store. I have downloaded OpenOffice 4.1.5 and want to use OpenOffice Writer instead of Microsoft Word for all documents...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. portable apps default apps

2. how to set a portable app as default in win 10

3. set portable app as default windows 10