Windows 10: Cannot set Adobe Illustrator as default app for .ai files

Discus and support Cannot set Adobe Illustrator as default app for .ai files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When I go to set default apps, under .ai files it only lets me choose InDesign and Photoshop, or choose a program from the Windows Store. Where is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Merman101, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Cannot set Adobe Illustrator as default app for .ai files

When I go to set default apps, under .ai files it only lets me choose InDesign and Photoshop, or choose a program from the Windows Store. Where is the option to find an .exe file manually to set default apps?

I'm on the 20H2 update.

submitted by /u/Merman101
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Merman101, Nov 21, 2020
  2. dbarttx Win User

Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop

I have tried everything to associate the .ai file to illustrator. All my .ai files are associated with Acrobat

• rt click - open with - choose another app - more apps - look for another app on the pc
      • I navigate to Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CC 2018/Support Files/Contents/Windows and then select Illustrator.exe file
      • Error Message: This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page.
    • I go to the Default Apps setting page and click on Apps & Features (both Illustrator CC 2018 and Photoshop CC 2018 are listed there)
      • No options here, but to uninstall so I go back to Default Apps
    • I select Choose default apps by file type
      • I scroll down to .ai (which should be an Illustrator file) and it has associated it with Adobe Acrobat

Cannot set Adobe Illustrator as default app for .ai files 73111840-6a4c-4533-a525-689eb7bc275c?upload=true.jpg

Screen clipping taken: 8/19/2018 9:34 AM

• When I click on the Adobe Acrobat icon it only gave me two options -- Acrobat and to look for an App in the Store
    • I contacted Adobe Support and they told me this is a Windows OS problem.
    This is incredibly frustrating. While I know I can open the file using the program the file itself will not import properly into other CC programs.

dbarttx, Nov 21, 2020
  3. Joanne Win User
    Adobe Bridge: cannot set as default in Settings Menu

topgundcp

Thank you for your reply Cannot set Adobe Illustrator as default app for .ai files :)

I like to think of Adobe Bridge as an "asset manager", an asset being a picture, a .pdf file, a .psd file or an Illustrator file. Yesterday I've researched a bit about Photo (pre) Viewers, for a little time it's true, and the best I found was "Zoner Free Studio" or something like that, which offers its full potential only on its paid version. So, since I own the CS6 suite I thought to install it and use the Bridge. It might be an overkill for just previewing a screenshot, now and then, but I own it and I am going to use it for other things, too. Cannot set Adobe Illustrator as default app for .ai files :)

In my system it opens instantly and it takes no resources.

Regarding your suggestion, I have already tried it before posting here. Adobe Bridge does not appear in these lists. And it surprises me that Windows 10 show Adobe Illustrator as a suggestion for previewing photos! Anyway, I have managed to make it appear on the default Apps list in the Settings Menu by manually associating the .jpg and .png file type with it. This feature is found in the classic Control Panel. My discomfort is that there are many-many image file types. So, what? Will I have to manually associate ALL of them with the Bridge?!

Anyway, I didn't have much time to deal with this, but I hope that today I will find the solution.

Thank you.

Joanne, Nov 21, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Cannot set Adobe Illustrator as default app for .ai files

Adobe Bridge: cannot set as default in Settings Menu

Adobe Bridge is actually a Photo Organizer, it is not designed for single image viewer so if you want to set it as default to open every time you double click a .jpg/.png. Bridge will open the whole folder containing the .jpg/.png that you selected. If this is what you want then try the followings:
    1. Right click on the .jpg ->Open With->Choose another App
    2. If Bridge is on the list. Hi-lite it and put a check mark on: "Always use this app to open .jpg file". If not go to step 3
    3. If Bridge is not on the list scroll to the bottom then select then click on "More Apps"
    4. If Bridge is still not on the list then scroll to bottom again and select "Look for another App on this PC"
    5. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge and select "Bridge.exe" ====>64bit
      Or: C:\Program Files (X86)\Adbode\Adobe Bridge and select "Bridge.exe" ====> 32bit
      then put a check mark on "Always use this app to open .jpg file"
    6. Do the same for .png file.

topgundcp, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Cannot set Adobe Illustrator as default app for .ai files

1. Cannot set Adobe Illustrator as default app for .ai files - Similar Threads - Cannot set Adobe

2. My .jar apps opens in Illustrator adobe.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My .jar apps opens in Illustrator adobe.: My .jar apps opens into illustrator adobe. I accidentally made it the default program. I have tried to reset but it just won't reset. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-jar-apps-opens-in-illustrator-adobe/8eaed04c-c5e7-4ce8-abba-2dc7383755b8
  3. My .jar apps opens in Illustrator adobe.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My .jar apps opens in Illustrator adobe.: My .jar apps opens into illustrator adobe. I accidentally made it the default program. I have tried to reset but it just won't reset. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-jar-apps-opens-in-illustrator-adobe/8eaed04c-c5e7-4ce8-abba-2dc7383755b8
  4. My .jar apps opens in Illustrator adobe.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Adobe illustrator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Adobe illustrator: 2 Adobe illustrator Adobe IL? : APC_INDEX_MISMATCH : win32kfull.sys [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E4%B8%80%E6%89%93%E9%96%8Badobe-illustrator/9a4841f0-9bdb-4dfc-b896-44c8be5c08e5
  6. adobe illustrator and s mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    adobe illustrator and s mode: I need to install adobe illustrator and creative cloud on my new laptop, but it's not letting me get those apps because the computer is operating in s mode. What risks am I susceptible to if I turn of s mode?...
  7. Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop: I have tried everything to associate the .ai file to illustrator. All my .ai files are associated with Acrobat rt click - open with - choose another app - more apps - look for another app on the pc I navigate to Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CC 2018/Support...
  8. Adobe Illustrator Can't open the illustration

Adobe Illustrator Can't open the illustration: Working in AI 10.3 on a Mac, opened a file to update, Save, closed and later tried re-opening the file and got the following message: Can't open the illustration. The illustration contains an incomplete or garbled object description. offending operator: ',' Context:...
  9. Adobe Bridge: cannot set as default in Settings Menu

Adobe Bridge: cannot set as default in Settings Menu: Hello On my Windows 10 Pro installation I have set the following desktop applications as the default apps for various tasks: [img] When it comes to previewing pictures (.png, .jpg and all the others) I prefer to use Adobe Bridge. I have the Adobe CS6 suite...
  10. Adobe Illustrator CS3 won't open files

Adobe Illustrator CS3 won't open files: Most programs on my Adobe CS3 work just fine in Windows 10, but I'm having problems with Illustrator. The program will run, but I get an error message every time I try to open a file or start a new document. My error message says "The program has stopped working" and it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 11 default adobe illustrator file