Windows 10: Cannot set default app in 1803 (OS build 17134.407)

Discus and support Cannot set default app in 1803 (OS build 17134.407) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I cannot set the default app to open a PDF. I can right click, click properties and select the app I want, but this is ignored. I can go to settings,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Paul Barbee, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Cannot set default app in 1803 (OS build 17134.407)

I cannot set the default app to open a PDF. I can right click, click properties and select the app I want, but this is ignored. I can go to settings, select Choose a default app for each type of file, click PDF and select the program, but this is also ignored.

:)

Paul Barbee, Dec 6, 2018
  2. Zerren Win User

Games/Apps are not visible?

Version 1803 (Os Build 17134. 407)

Zerren, Dec 6, 2018
  3. 1803 problem with default app settings

I made a similar post a few weeks ago but there have been a couple of updates since the 1803 roll out. There are slight changes, but problem is still there.

My defaults issue started with 1803. I used Settings>Apps>Default Apps> to reset the defaults for 3 apps:

• Browser→ Opera
    • PDF viewer→ Acrobat
    • Photos→ Irfanview
    Every time I reboot, the browser & pdf viewer defaults revert to Edge. The Photos default reverts to the Windows photo viewer. When I reset my choices in Settings>Apps>Default Apps> my programs run as expected. The file icons change to the new apps,
    & files open in the right program. Everything is fine till I reboot & they get reset again to the Windows defaults. When my apps are no longer set as default apps, I can launch them from shortcuts & they perform as expected. The only issue is the defaults
    reverting to Windows apps on reboot.

I've used these defaults for years with no problem. The settings were fine before 1803. I don't know but I don't think it's a compatibility issue since the programs still run as they should. What happened? Is there a way to fix it?

grendel_won, Dec 6, 2018
  4. Cannot set default app in 1803 (OS build 17134.407)

How to set Microsoft Photos App as default

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left pane, click on Default Apps.
    • In the right pane, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • Set the default App to open .jpg files and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 6, 2018
Thema:

Cannot set default app in 1803 (OS build 17134.407)

1. Cannot set default app in 1803 (OS build 17134.407) - Similar Threads - Cannot set default

2. Cannot change default apps in settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  3. Cannot change default apps in settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  4. Unable to update windows 1803 version 17134

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to update windows 1803 version 17134: Hello,I recently reinstall my pc with a disk backup in version 1803, and I'm just trying to update it to the last version.Windows Update doesn't succeded, and the helper failed too.I search a little and find that all update are now available only for windows 1903... So I...
  5. Unable to update windows 1803 version 17134

Unable to update windows 1803 version 17134: Hello,I recently reinstall my pc with a disk backup in version 1803, and I'm just trying to update it to the last version.Windows Update doesn't succeded, and the helper failed too.I search a little and find that all update are now available only for windows 1903... So I...
  6. Unable to update windows 1803 version 17134

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Win Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.228)

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.228): Ever since downloading and installing this update, the games I play in the windows store (2020 My Country) crash on start-up, I didn't have this problem prior to installing this version of Windows. I have tried all the recommendations of resetting the windows store, running...
  8. the settings app wont open on windows 10 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.165)

the settings app wont open on windows 10 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.165): Hi, so ive been triying for two days now to open my settings window(or App, cause apearently it is one ) and keep getting the same message, I have tried the refresh option that the "THIS APP WONT OPEN,,theres a problem with your settings) banner brought with it. i am on...
  9. Windows 10 build 17134 lacks display settings in the task scheduler

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 build 17134 lacks display settings in the task scheduler: Hello, I’m working on a laptop (Lenovo Legion Y520, if it somehow matters) and it’s running Windows 10 build 17134. I’ve been having some issues with the screen lately, it started after the last update - Just a few seconds after the computer boots, it dims. Every time it...
  10. Windows 10 build 17134 lacks display settings in the task scheduler

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 build 17134 lacks display settings in the task scheduler: Hello, I’m working on a laptop (Lenovo Legion Y520, if it somehow matters) and it’s running Windows 10 build 17134. I’ve been having some issues with the screen lately, it started after the last update - Just a few seconds after the computer boots, it dims. Every time it...