Windows 10: Cannot set default applications

Discus and support Cannot set default applications in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I'm running Windows 10 1803 and am fully up to date on Windows Updates (barring the October update, of course, which is not available at the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DK Wood, Nov 5, 2018.

1. DK Wood Win User

Cannot set default applications

Hi,

I'm running Windows 10 1803 and am fully up to date on Windows Updates (barring the October update, of course, which is not available at the moment).

I cannot set default applications for "Choose default applications by file type", or "Choose default applications by protocol". When I try to change defaults in this way, the preferences to not save.

In addition, I cannot change the default app for a file by right-clicking on the file and selecting "Open with", "Choose another app", and checking "Always use this app to open .xxx files" before opening the file. The preference simply does not save.

Furthermore, I also cannot change the default app by opening the properties of the file, clicking "Change..." where it says "Open with", and selecting the app. The preferences do not save.

Finally, I cannot use "Set defaults by app", because the programs that I am trying to open the files with are not listed. Specifically, Sublime Text 3, Notepad++, and Visual Studio Code are not listed, and I am unable to change the default for .txt files away from Notepad.

I have tried every conceivable way I can think of to change the defaults for this file type (and others).

Please assist,

Regards,

Daniel

:)

DK Wood, Nov 5, 2018

2. Unable to set default browser

• Does this issue happens while you try to set other browser as default too or is it specific to specific browser?

Any browser.

Already did the steps you suggested. It's some kind of bug where it's impossible to set a default browser at all.

I heard elsewhere from one other user
    that it seems to be a problem with upgrading to 10 on the SP3. Sounds very specifc.

guustavooo, Nov 5, 2018
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Cannot set default applications :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Nov 5, 2018
  4. Cannot set default applications

How to set default applications on Windows 10?

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

From the above description, I understand you want to set
    Foxit Phantom PDF as a default program to view PDF files on Windows 10.

You will be able to set default applications by file type and by protocol on Windows 10. To set a default program that is not present, you will have to download and install the application on the PC.

If you have already downloaded and installed
    Foxit phantom PDF
    application on the PC, follow the steps below to set as default and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Default programs and select the top most search result.
    • Scroll down the page and click on Choose default apps by file type from the window.
    • Locate .pdf file format, click on the program which is set to open the file type and select
      Foxit phantom application from Choose an App window.
    • Close the window and check if you are able to open .pdf files in
      Foxit Phantom.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

Cannot set default applications

1. Cannot set default applications - Similar Threads - Cannot set default

2. Windows 11 default application settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 default application settings.: We strongly recommend that Microsoft add the default application settings for Windows 10 to Windows 11 settings!!! The default application settings for Windows 11 adopt the default application software settings scheme of the Windows 7 control panel, but do not refer to...
  3. Windows 11 default application settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 default application settings.: We strongly recommend that Microsoft add the default application settings for Windows 10 to Windows 11 settings!!! The default application settings for Windows 11 adopt the default application software settings scheme of the Windows 7 control panel, but do not refer to...
  4. Can't Set Thunderbird as Default Email Application

in Browsers and Email
    Can't Set Thunderbird as Default Email Application: Hi, friends! I won't belabor the fact that Microsoft has failed us regarding setting file type assignments and default applications, even with tools that calculate the correct hashes. But all I'm trying to do is to set the default email application to Thunderbird, and that...
  5. Cannot change Default Applications [TWINUI]

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change Default Applications [TWINUI]: Hello, I work in IT and I have a user who cannot change the default applications in windows settings. The Computer has already been re-imaged and is still having the same problem. I spoke with the computer manufacturer and they said that I would need to speak with...
  6. Cannot acces administrative settings on settings application

Cannot acces administrative settings on settings application: Hello. I am not able to access "language bar options" or "administrative language settings on the settings application. is this because I am not accessing the settings app as an administrator? I am on an administrator user on the computer. Why does this not work?...
  7. setting email default application

setting email default application: Using Windows 10 with Brother MFC-J680DW printer/scanner and cannot set default email application. I've tried multiple suggestions and google to no avail. I use a gmail account for email....
  8. Set the default application of win 10

Set the default application of win 10: My pdf files are currently unable to install the open application by default, when I install Foxit Reader to open it, Windows automatically changes to Edge when I restart the computer. Please help me....
  9. Can't set default application of my choice

Can't set default application of my choice: I have installed Image Glass (It is working) and I want to set Image Glass as my default image viewer. In Control Panel under Default Apps I do not get an option other than the options listed and the App Store. There is no option for choosing another app that is on the...
  10. Can't set default applications I want

Can't set default applications I want: I use Web based email through Firefiox but Win10 will not allow me to delete (remove) MS Mail and only offers a search of the Store to set the mail client. I will not use the Store or MS Mail - how can I set Firefox as the default application for email? Note I have the...