Windows 10: Cannot set default program for snapshot viewer for one user

Discus and support Cannot set default program for snapshot viewer for one user in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The users in the office previously used Microsoft Snapshot Viewer on their Windows 7 machines. They receive emails daily from their retail locations... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BryanCook270, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Cannot set default program for snapshot viewer for one user

The users in the office previously used Microsoft Snapshot Viewer on their Windows 7 machines. They receive emails daily from their retail locations with .SNP attachments. Previously, they would open them with the Microsoft Snapshot Viewer program. They would then print the attachments. They were satisfied.

I replaced their machines with Windows 10 machines running Office 2016 using Outlook as their email client.

With the new configuration, the Snapshot Viewer wasn't the ideal solution, but I downloaded the program from a link I found on another thread, related to this issue. Currently, the icon associated with the attachments indicated they are to be opened with Adobe Reader for the affected user. We have been attempting to set Snapshot Viewer as the default app/program for the .SNP extension. It works great for my profile, but I cannot set it as the default app for the main user of the machine. I saved the attachment locally. I then right-clicked the attachment, selected properties and attempted to change the default program for the file extension....When I browsed to the snapview.exe file in the programs installation folder, I received the following message: "Cannot associate file type with this program. The program you have selected cannot be associated with this file type. Please choose another program."

Currently, the user has to save the attachment, then open the attachment with the Snapshot Viewer program. While this does work, I would like to find a more efficient solution for them to print the attachments. I really need to find a reliable solution to this challenge as I have two additional machines to configure with the same scenario.

Since the Snapshot Viewer works for my account, I suspect that it "might" be as simple as a registry adjustment. Not sure if it matters, but my account is a local admin where the user's account is not.

Thanks in advance.

:)

BryanCook270, Jan 20, 2020

2. Windows 10 default image viewer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps in order to change the default image viewer to Paint.

• In search,
    • Type Default Programs.
    • Check whether Windows Photo Viewer is listed in the list.
    • Left click on the photo viewer and select the option paint.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Divya Murugan, Jan 20, 2020
  3. Set Windows Photo Viewer as default to open photos

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to set window photo viewer as default and check if it helps:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click on Control Panel and under View by change it to
      Small Icons.

• Click on Default Programs and click on
      Set your default programs

• Click on Windows Photo Viewer from the Left pane and click on
      Choose Defaults for this program.

• Select all the formats available from the list and click on
      Save and click Ok.

• Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jan 20, 2020
  4. kormath Win User

Cannot set default program for snapshot viewer for one user

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Cannot set default program for snapshot viewer for one user :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

Cannot set default program for snapshot viewer for one user

1. Cannot set default program for snapshot viewer for one user - Similar Threads - Cannot set default

2. Cannot change default program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change default program: Hi All, I'll start this thread apparently for the umpteenth time, but none of the forum posts (and not just this forum's) I've read provided with a fix to this one. My Windows version number is 10.0.17763. I have a few Adobe CC 2020 programs installed (yes, with a genuine,...
  3. Setting default programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting default programs: I am aware of how to change the default program in windows for file extensions, etc, but I want to be able to set the default association to any application of my choosing. I have seen old guides about this going into the old control panel, but that no longer works. Is there...
  4. Can't Set Default Program!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Set Default Program!: What a real pain this is!!!!!Cannot set existing program as default for Photos. Dropdown list doesn't have that program listed yet it is installed on computer. Cannot add .ATN extension and associate a program to open it. So I have to pay to get App??? And the App store...
  5. Setting default programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting default programs: I would like to know why you can only set Microsoft Programs as the default programs In Windows 10, I have a media player i realy like and i can not set it as my default Media Program for some reason and i would like to know why and how Microsft is allowed by the Governement...
  6. Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting

Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting: I have read a lot of posted articles using Google search, but none of them are quite the problem I am experiencing. My hardware is an ASUS Transformer T100TAM. It came with Win 10, but husband installed our registered Win7 in order to get the free Win10 upgrade. When I...
  7. Cannot set default program for .lnk files.

Cannot set default program for .lnk files.: My .lnk files will not open properly any longer. I know you can set the EXT back to explorer in 7. I go to Choose default apps by file type, and I still cannot select a program on my system. Is there a way to use the old Win 7 tool for this. (The right click -> open...
  8. Help! Can't set Windows Photo Viewer as default program!

Help! Can't set Windows Photo Viewer as default program!: Before the update, I had installed Windows Photo Viewer and could go to Control Panel > Default Programs and click "Set this program as default" or "Choose defaults for this program". Now, if I click Set this program as default it doesn't do anything, still says 2 out of...
  9. Cannot set default programs on Windows 10

Cannot set default programs on Windows 10: I've had the problem in the title all the way back since 10 launched. Every time I try to change the default program in the settings menu (i.e changing edge to firefox) nothing will change. The edge logo will stay in the default browser section and firefox will still ask me...
  10. Windows Photo Viewer isn't an option, cannot set as default

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Photo Viewer isn't an option, cannot set as default: Just bought a brand new HP notebook with windows 10. I cannot set windows photo viewer as default. I go to open with, it is not an option. I go to control panel/default programs/set default programs/. When I click "set as default" nothing happens. This is so frustrating! Why...