Windows 10: Cannot set file explorer file view

Discus and support Cannot set file explorer file view in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, For some reason my win 10 (64 b) install always shows images in file view instead of Details. When I try to apply the details setting to all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by esebm, Dec 18, 2016.

1. esebm Win User

Cannot set file explorer file view

Hi,
    For some reason my win 10 (64 b) install always shows images in file view instead of Details.
    When I try to apply the details setting to all folders, that selection is always grayed out.
    Can someone help?
    Thanks,
    Ed

:)

esebm, Dec 18, 2016

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Dec 18, 2016
  3. Win10: set 'view' default in file explorer

Now try answering the question:

How do I set up File Explorer so that, whenever it opens a folder for the first time, it uses /my/ choice of default view rather than yours?

Mine is "List", BTW; yours is "Detail".

The procedure above has nothing to do with setting the default view for File Explorer. It has to do with making File Explorer the default program to use when navigating the file system. This is not the same thing.

If this is not possible, say so. So far as I can tell, it has not been possible since at least Windows 7.

PaulPerson, Dec 18, 2016
  4. wyldman68 Win User

Are you trying to change this using File Explorer Options in the Control Panel or are you opening File Explorer/File/change folder and search options? Because when I use the 2nd option I can make changes, but if I go through Control Panel I cannot.

wyldman68, Dec 18, 2016
  5. esebm Win User
    Thanks for the quick response.
    When I use the 1st option the "Apply to folders" is not grayed out but it doesn't work. When I set to" details" for all folders, the next folder I open shows images again.
    With the 2nd option, it's grayed out.

esebm, Dec 18, 2016
  6. spunk Win User
    In File Explorer, go to the toolbar to View/Details

spunk, Dec 18, 2016
  7. esebm Win User
    That works only for one folder. As soon as I open the next one, it's images again.

esebm, Dec 18, 2016
  8. spunk Win User

You have to do it for each folder.

spunk, Dec 18, 2016
  9. esebm Win User
    For Pete's sake, I have hundreds of folders.
    What is that "Apply to all folders" for if not for that?

esebm, Dec 18, 2016
  10. wyldman68 Win User
    wyldman68, Dec 18, 2016
  11. esebm Win User
    I downloaded that bat file and ran it and I still see the images although my picture template was set to "Details".

esebm, Dec 19, 2016
  12. Berton Win User
    I've seen the issue on some External USB drives [removable drives] while the Internal drives in the same computer don't have the problem.

Berton, Dec 19, 2016
  13. esebm Win User

No external USB drives here!

esebm, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot set file explorer file view - Similar Threads - Cannot set file

2. File Explorer home cannot change view

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer home cannot change view: I cannot change the view in file explorer home as it only gives me tiles or content view and when i switch between the two nothing happens. It always showed large icons which its not showing the option to change it to that and it keeps grouping them and are unable to be...
  3. File Explorer home cannot change view

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer home cannot change view: I cannot change the view in file explorer home as it only gives me tiles or content view and when i switch between the two nothing happens. It always showed large icons which its not showing the option to change it to that and it keeps grouping them and are unable to be...
  4. File explorer view

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer view: I'm having a dummy problem. I don't "think" I have changed anything but the view I am seeing when I open File Explorer is different. I understand quick access - but previously I had my most used folders in the lower half of the left hand column. Things that were user specific...
  5. File explorer view

File explorer view: I'm having a dummy problem. I don't "think" I have changed anything but the view I am seeing when I open File Explorer is different. I understand quick access - but previously I had my most used folders in the lower half of the left hand column. Things that were user specific...
  6. File Explorer views

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer views: Is there a way to save a "view" in file explorer? I prefer to see the items in a folder as a List, but every time I open a folder it has defaulted to Details so I have to change it to List.Can the List view be saved as the default?...
  7. Cannot view File Explorer

Cannot view File Explorer: Hi there, we recently got a new PC setup, it was working fine and still is but i cant seem to access file explorer anymore, I can access it through word but can only open word documents ect, when I try to click on it or any file it opens it and you can hover on the icon and...
  8. I cannot view photos in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cannot view photos in file explorer.: I cannot view photos in file explorer. Win 10 Says they are write protected. Unchecked read only, changed permissions. This was not happening 3 days ago....
  9. Viewing file explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Viewing file explorer: I can only see one folder in file explorer. The button to allow we to reverse the folder to the previous size has vanished so I seem to be stuck on maximum...
  10. File explorer view settings

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer view settings: I know how to set the view display when browsing folders, but if I use the search facility, the default view is always Content. I would rather the default view for searches, and indeed all views in File Explorer, to be Details. How do I change the default? 105136