Windows 10: Cannot set IE as a default browser

Discus and support Cannot set IE as a default browser in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I want to have IE as a default browser. I am trying to set it using Chrome. I do it in the following way: select Internet Options, then Programs but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RodneyChavis, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Cannot set IE as a default browser

I want to have IE as a default browser. I am trying to set it using Chrome. I do it in the following way: select Internet Options, then Programs but the Programs tab disappears after that. I uninstalled Internet Explorer and reinstalled it again but nothing has changed

:)

RodneyChavis, Feb 24, 2019

2. Unable to set default browser

• Does this issue happens while you try to set other browser as default too or is it specific to specific browser?

Any browser.

Already did the steps you suggested. It's some kind of bug where it's impossible to set a default browser at all.

I heard elsewhere from one other user
    that it seems to be a problem with upgrading to 10 on the SP3. Sounds very specifc.

guustavooo, Feb 24, 2019
  3. Unable to set default browser

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

The information which you have provided is not enough for us to determine the issue. Please provide us more information.

• Does this issue happens while you try to set other browser as default too or is it specific to specific browser?

To set Internet Explorer/Edge as a default browser, I suggest you to follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key and type Default Program in search and hit enter.
    • Select "Set your default programs"
    • Click on “Internet Explorer" or “Edge”.
    • Select "Set this program as default” and Click OK.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Feb 24, 2019
  4. Cannot set IE as a default browser

Default browser settings

Hi Jodi,

Incorrect browser settings is one of the possible reason why you're getting a pop up message it is not set. Kindly follow these steps to set Firefox as your default browser:

• Go to Settings.
    • Select System.
    • Click Default apps.
    • Scroll down and look for Web browser. In this case, the icon will say either Microsoft Edge or Choose your default browser.
    • Choose an app screen, select Firefox to set it as the default browser.
    • Close the windows to save your changes.
    • Then restart your PC.

We would appreciate an update about how it went.

Marilou Ser, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

Cannot set IE as a default browser

1. Cannot set IE as a default browser - Similar Threads - Cannot set default

2. Set default browser to alternative browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set default browser to alternative browser: In the "Set Default Apps" settings page, there is no possible way to select a browser that is not either on the Windows store or has large userbase like Chrome. You used to be able to use Control Panel for this, but you changed that to just redirect to the same Settings page...
  3. Cannot set default web browser

Cannot set default web browser: How can I set Google Chrome as my default web browser. The last win update erased it as my default, and it no longer appears in the options window. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-set-default-web-browser/2736ac7a-5d26-49b1-be8f-b4ba10310509
  4. Default Browser Setting

Default Browser Setting: I want my default browser to be Chrome. I change it in settings from Edge to Chrome, then when I re-boot, it goes right back to Edge. How do I make the change permanent?...
  5. Cannot choose default browser

Cannot choose default browser: I know how to set the default browser in Windows 10. Settings>Apps>Default apps. A recent update to Windows 10 has locked in MS Edge as my default browser. I cannot choose any other browser including IE11. I want Firefox to be my default browser. Also NONE of the following...
  6. Making IE 11 the default browser

in Browsers and Email
    Making IE 11 the default browser: Our company still use IE 11 for many things and I was looking for a way to make it the default browser, anybody got some good tips on how to do this? many thx *Biggrin 125823
  7. Cannot set Edge as default browser on Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot set Edge as default browser on Windows 10: Edge does not appear on the default browser list. [img] 113324
  8. Cannot set Edge as default browser | Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot set Edge as default browser | Windows 10: Edge does not appear on the default browser list. [img] 113324
  9. Making IE the default browser via the registry or script

in Browsers and Email
    Making IE the default browser via the registry or script: Hi, Is there a way to automate changing the default browser from Edge to IE. We are still dependent on IE and can not deploy W10 with Edge as the default. Thanks for any help you can provide. 28822
  10. How to reset IE as default browser instead of Edge

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to reset IE as default browser instead of Edge: Hi there I can't use EDGE as my default browser as I have a few media servers and as has been pointed out that as EDGE is a universal app addresses like 127.0.0.1:8000 (i.e localhost type stuff) are no longer addressable. I need these types of addresses to use the web...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Cannot set IE as a default browser for .url