Windows 10: Cannot set Java to open .jar files by default

Discus and support Cannot set Java to open .jar files by default in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Home, on an HP Pavilion.Anyway, today I downloaded a .jar file, and whenever I double-clicked on it, it would not open automatically.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NicholasMcVicker, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Cannot set Java to open .jar files by default

I have Windows 10 Home, on an HP Pavilion.Anyway, today I downloaded a .jar file, and whenever I double-clicked on it, it would not open automatically. When right clicking on the .jar file and selecting "open with", "JavaTM Platform SE binary" would not show up. Yes, I have Java installed correctly on my computer. To make matters worse, I accidentally set .jar files to open automatically with Internet Explorer. Is there a way for me to find a Java folder on my computer that I could use to open this .jar file?Obviously, I want to fix this problem so that I can open .jar files with Java,

:)

NicholasMcVicker, Apr 26, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

jar files

Fixing .jar file opening on Windows requires two steps:

• Open the Control Panel, and chose "Default Programs - Associate a File type or protocol with a program". Find .jar extension (Executable JAR file) there, and pick Java as default program to open this extension. It will probably be listed as "Java Platform(SE)".
      A faster alternative perhaps is straightforward right-click on a .jar file, and then change associated program by clicking on the "Change..." button.
    • Now open the regedit, and open the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open\command key. Luckilly for us, we may specify parameters there for the (Default) value. This is normally: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Apr 26, 2021
  3. Cannot set Java to open .jar files by default

I have Windows 10 Home, on an HP Pavilion.

Anyway, today I downloaded a .jar file, and whenever I double-clicked on it, it would not open automatically. When right clicking on the .jar file and selecting "open with", "Java(TM) Platform SE binary" would not show up. Yes, I have Java installed
    correctly on my computer. To make matters worse, I accidentally set .jar files to open automatically with Internet Explorer. Is there a way for me to find a Java folder on my computer that I could use to open this .jar file?

Obviously, I want to fix this problem so that I can open .jar files with Java, and Java only. The simplest and easiest solutions/help are greatly appreciated! Cannot set Java to open .jar files by default :)

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Alexandra Nofi, Apr 26, 2021
  4. WildOne Win User

Cannot set Java to open .jar files by default

Windows 10 reassociate .jar files to java

See if this will help:
    go to settings, System, default apps, choose default app by file type....see if you can set .jar file....

WildOne, Apr 26, 2021
Thema:

Cannot set Java to open .jar files by default

1. Cannot set Java to open .jar files by default - Similar Threads - Cannot set Java

2. Cannot Open .jar files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Open .jar files: I've been facing an issue on my Windows 11 system related to .jar files. Despite using the Jarfix tool, I'm still unable to open .jar files on my system.Here are some details:Operating System: Windows 11Tool Used: JarfixI've utilized Jarfix to fix the file association for...
  3. Cannot Open .jar files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Open .jar files: I've been facing an issue on my Windows 11 system related to .jar files. Despite using the Jarfix tool, I'm still unable to open .jar files on my system.Here are some details:Operating System: Windows 11Tool Used: JarfixI've utilized Jarfix to fix the file association for...
  4. Java / Jar files / "open with"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Java / Jar files / "open with": Every time I try to open a jar file it opens java and then later says java cannot install because of the program I am trying to delete. When I try to delete java "jre-8u341-windows-x64" it says the program is open in "jre-8u341-windows-x64" and does not allow me to delete it....
  5. Java / Jar files / "open with"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Java / Jar files / "open with": Every time I try to open a jar file it opens java and then later says java cannot install because of the program I am trying to delete. When I try to delete java "jre-8u341-windows-x64" it says the program is open in "jre-8u341-windows-x64" and does not allow me to delete it....
  6. Java / Jar files / "open with"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I have java but I cant set it as default for .jar files

I have java but I cant set it as default for .jar files: I have deleted java multiple times and I still can't make it default app for .jar to open with, I have no clue what to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-java-but-i-cant-set-it-as-default-for-jar/87be85b5-d5c8-4a20-993c-7300fa3fde24
  8. java doesnt want to open .jar files

java doesnt want to open .jar files: yea i know that you need to select the java binary platform in open with. but when i do that and try to open the .jar file it instantly closes it again and doesnt do anything. i have tried to reinstall it and all kinds of other stuff...
  9. Jar files cannot open

Jar files cannot open: I cannot open any executable jar file. I've tried everything I could find. I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the latest java update, ran jarfix, and tried running the jar files from cmd using java -jar and javaw -jar. After running a .jar executable,...
  10. I want to open a JAR file with java

I want to open a JAR file with java: I want to open up a JAR file through java, I open up the file, right-click on it, press open with and scroll through but cannot find java anywhere, even though I have it installed. in this case, I want to download Optifine for Minecraft 1.14.4. I've been trying to figure this...