Windows 10: Cannot shrink partition more, even if space is available - Windows 7

Discus and support Cannot shrink partition more, even if space is available - Windows 7 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a laptop running Windows 7, and I have a 465 GB internal hard drive formatted in MBR format. Now the whole drive is formatted with only one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by 2147483647_x86, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Cannot shrink partition more, even if space is available - Windows 7

I have a laptop running Windows 7, and I have a 465 GB internal hard drive formatted in MBR format. Now the whole drive is formatted with only one partition, so now I want to make 2 more partitions. But using diskpart, I found out that the max amount I can shrink my C drive partition is 230 GB. But I still got about 200 GB more space. But the system does not let me shrink further. I suppose it can be because there is some data at the very end of the partition which is not letting me to partition further, but I tried to defragment my hard drive, but it did not fix.

:)

2147483647_x86, Nov 19, 2021

2. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Nov 19, 2021
  3. RejZoR Win User
    Partition space

You're not understanding this. Unallocated space is NOT equal as (partitioned) empty space.

Unallocated space means empty RAW sectors on HDD. Empty space means an already allocated file system (either FAT32 or NTFS or any other) that is not occupied by any data.

So in your case, as DanTheBanjoman already suggested, don't try to shrink "unallocated space", extend the main (C*Smile Cannot shrink partition more, even if space is available - Windows 7 :) partition instead. You can't shrink something that doesn't exist (unallocated space), but you can extend the existing partition over unallocated space.
    So, just select the C: partition and extend it further. Program should automatically allow you to do that. I'm not using Partition Magic, but i usually done this with either:
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Free - manage and resize disk partitions (also for 64bit OS!)

or

EaseUS Partition Master - manage disk partitions (only for 32bit OS!)

RejZoR, Nov 19, 2021
  4. Cannot shrink partition more, even if space is available - Windows 7

Cannot shrink C: partition: Not enough space

Try launching the Event Viewer to see which individual files are blocking the partition shrink.

1. Once again, attempt to shrink the partition. You should get the "There is not enough space" error.
    2. Launch Windows' Event Viewer application.
    3. In Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs > Application.
    4. Find and Click a recent log of type Warning. It should have the message, "Error: during volume shrink initiated on volume Windows (CCannot shrink partition more, even if space is available - Windows 7 :) we failed to move a movable file extent." (screenshot)
    5. The Diagnostic details will give you the name of the "last unmovable file"
    6. Delete this file (Simply send to recycle bin. I did not need a hard delete).
    7. Try shrinking your volume again.
    8. Repeat steps 2-7 until you successfully shrink your partition. (In my case, I had to do this 3 times, as I had 3 pdf files in my local Google Drive that were for some reason stuck as 'unmovable'.).
    9. Restore your deleted files.

CAUTION:
    Make sure you know what you are deleting! In my case, I knew that these pdf files were:

1. Not system files
    2. Easy to download again if they became lost

misterschmitz, Nov 19, 2021
Thema:

Cannot shrink partition more, even if space is available - Windows 7

1. Cannot shrink partition more, even if space is available - Windows 7 - Similar Threads - Cannot shrink partition

2. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  3. Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook with a SAMSUNG 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB 2.5” as Internal Solid State Hard Drive. I am trying to shrink my primary Partition and create 100gb of unallocated space. In the File Explorer it shows that i have 133 GB of free space but when i try to...
  4. Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook with a SAMSUNG 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB 2.5” as Internal Solid State Hard Drive. I am trying to shrink my primary Partition and create 100gb of unallocated space. In the File Explorer it shows that i have 133 GB of free space but when i try to...
  5. Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Cannot shrink partition more, even if space is available - Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot shrink partition more, even if space is available - Windows 7: I have a laptop running Windows 7, and I have a 465 GB internal hard drive formatted in MBR format. Now the whole drive is formatted with only one partition, so now I want to make 2 more partitions. But using diskpart, I found out that the max amount I can shrink my C drive...
  7. I don't get more available shrink space after deleting stuff

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I don't get more available shrink space after deleting stuff: I have 270 GB free out of 953 GB but it says I have 0 MB of shrink space in Disk Management, even when I delete programs I don't get more shrink space, is there a way I can get more shrink space?...
  8. Shrink volume not showing all available space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shrink volume not showing all available space: My 240gb SSD has 140gb of free space. But shrink volume will only allow 67gb, why does this happen? Edit: I just selected the "No paging file" option and it works now. submitted by /u/TheTomSawyer [link] [comments]...
  9. Cannot shrink Windows partition beyond 4gb

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot shrink Windows partition beyond 4gb: I’m currently in the process of dualbooting Ubuntu along with my Windows 10 installation. Whenever I try to create a new partition for my linux installation, it doesn’t allow me to raise the megabytes above 4545 megabytes. I have 300gbs free on my HDD and I want atleast 100gb...
  10. Cannot shrink volume more that 54MB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot shrink volume more that 54MB: [ATTACH] I am trying to shrink my fastest SSD to dual boot an OS, but when trying to, I can only shrink it by 54MB. Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue? Thanks...