Windows 10: Cannot Shut Down

Discus and support Cannot Shut Down in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am currently on Windows 10 Home Single Language 64bit Edition 2004 May 2020 Update. after I installed May 2020 update some other updates were also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BlackSwordsmanKirito, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Cannot Shut Down

I am currently on Windows 10 Home Single Language 64bit Edition 2004 May 2020 Update.

after I installed May 2020 update some other updates were also installed including the cumulative update.

I tried to shut down but it doesn't work Windows automatically restarts and the power & hard disk light never turns off.

Turning off the fast boot option in power menu fixed the problem but with that boot time increases dramatically.

also if left in sleep mode for some time system freezes and I have to force power off using the power key.

Any solution to this problem other than turning off fast boot?

I have already tried using SFC /SCANNOW & DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth but nothing happened.

Shutdown command in PowerShell Admin Shows this

U 0 0 Other Unplanned

E 0 0 Other Unplanned

E P 0 0 Other Planned

U 0 5 Other Failure: System Unresponsive

E 1 1 Hardware: Maintenance Unplanned

E P 1 1 Hardware: Maintenance Planned

E 1 2 Hardware: Installation Unplanned

E P 1 2 Hardware: Installation Planned

E 2 2 Operating System: Recovery Unplanned

E P 2 2 Operating System: Recovery Planned

P 2 3 Operating System: Upgrade Planned

E 2 4 Operating System: Reconfiguration Unplanned

E P 2 4 Operating System: Reconfiguration Planned

P 2 16 Operating System: Service pack Planned

2 17 Operating System: Hot fix Unplanned

P 2 17 Operating System: Hot fix Planned

2 18 Operating System: Security fix Unplanned

P 2 18 Operating System: Security fix Planned

E 4 1 Application: Maintenance Unplanned

E P 4 1 Application: Maintenance Planned

E P 4 2 Application: Installation Planned

E 4 5 Application: Unresponsive

E 4 6 Application: Unstable

U 5 15 System Failure: Stop error

U 5 19 Security issue Unplanned

E 5 19 Security issue Unplanned

E P 5 19 Security issue Planned

E 5 20 Loss of network connectivity Unplanned

U 6 11 Power Failure: Cord Unplugged

U 6 12 Power Failure: Environment

P 7 0 Legacy API shutdown

System Information: Laptop

OS : Windows 10 Home Single Language 64bit Edition 2004 Build 19041.329

CPU : AMD Ryzen 2200u 2 Cores 4 Threads

:)

BlackSwordsmanKirito, Jun 15, 2020

2. Won't shut down or restart -- error X0X

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to ask what are the methods that you have tried to solve the issue.

The issue might occur if the computer is not shut down properly. so, I suggest you to perform a power drain by follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Shut down the Computer.
    • Remove all power source (including battery if it is a laptop).
    • Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds.
    • Connect the power source and start the computer.
    • After the computer boots to the desktop, suggest you to install all the pending updates.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jun 15, 2020
  3. Ernie San Win User
    Windows 10 is unable to complete shut down

We suggest doing these troubleshooting steps below:

Method 1. Hard Reset

• Shut down your computer.
    • Remove the cable and wires connected to your computer.
    • Press the Power button for 10 seconds to completely drain your device.
    • Check if there's any changes.
    Method 2. Shutdown trick.

• Press Windows key.
    • Press and hold Shift.
    • Click the Power icon.
    • Select and click Shutdown.
    Let us know the outcome.

Ernie San, Jun 15, 2020
  4. Cannot Shut Down

Laptop won't shut down

Hi Muhammad,

Most of the time, the issue regarding a device that won't shut down properly may be caused by a system conflict after an update or that there are some incompatibility issues. To assist you with this concern, we recommend that you run the troubleshooter.
    To do this, kindly follow the steps listed below:

• Type troubleshooting in the Search bar and press
      Enter.
    • Click on View all on the left-side of the page.
    • Click on each category below then follow the on-screen prompt to run the troubleshooter:
    • Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    • Hardware and Devices
    • Power
    • Windows Update
    Note: Make sure that you restart your PC after running the troubleshooter for each category.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Eileen Gal, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

Cannot Shut Down

1. Cannot Shut Down - Similar Threads - Cannot Shut Down

2. Laptop CANNOT shut itself down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop CANNOT shut itself down: Hello, I'm on Windows10. I've been so confused about my computer these recent days. Whenever I tried to shut down or restart, the computet would show the powering off screen without any spinning dots Below attachment to show if the powering process was going on. I thought it...
  3. Laptop CANNOT shut itself down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop CANNOT shut itself down: Hello, I'm on Windows10. I've been so confused about my computer these recent days. Whenever I tried to shut down or restart, the computet would show the powering off screen without any spinning dots Below attachment to show if the powering process was going on. I thought it...
  4. Laptop CANNOT shut itself down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Lagging and cannot open apps cannot shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lagging and cannot open apps cannot shut down: When I try to open a app in the desktop using my mouse it doesn't work when I go to downloads and click it went back to quick access. When I open a browser and open a website but when I click something it went back to the time I open it again. My taskbar doesn't work properly...
  6. cannot shut down or retrive email.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot shut down or retrive email.: I cannot shut down system, or retrive my email https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-shut-down-or-retrive-email/e4de2880-05d2-402b-babc-a2f741d18017
  7. cannot shut down or retrive email.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot shut down or retrive email.: I cannot shut down system, or retrive my email https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-shut-down-or-retrive-email/e4de2880-05d2-402b-babc-a2f741d18017
  8. cannot shut down or retrive email.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Cannot get windows to shut down

Cannot get windows to shut down: When I click on the Windows icon in the bottom left corner, then Power, then Shut Down, my HP PC restarts instead of shutting down. I've tried this a number of times and I cannot shut down my desktop as I have been doing over the last 4 years. All other sections of the...
  10. cannot shut down computer

cannot shut down computer: New computer - Asus Prime Z390 - A motherboard, intel LGA1151 processor, 16 gb ram, new ss hd w/ fresh windows 10 installed. I run troubleshooter for power, internet connections, windows 10 etc. Unchecked fast start up - reviewed numerous help forums - tried everything...