Windows 10: Cannot sign in: password no longer recognised

Discus and support Cannot sign in: password no longer recognised in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have been scouring the internet for a solution to this issue but cannot find one, so I’m desperate now. I have used a passcode for over a year to... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by MHLLWS, Jan 6, 2019.

1. MHLLWS Win User

Cannot sign in: password no longer recognised

I have been scouring the internet for a solution to this issue but cannot find one, so I’m desperate now.

I have used a passcode for over a year to log in to my laptop, since switching from my Microsoft/Hotmail password which I previously used. Just under a week ago, my laptop crashed and entered a blue screen. This has happened many times before, but this time, when I restarted it, it took me to the sign in page and asked me for a password. I found this weird, as I said I have used a numerical passcode for a long time now. I tried entering my Windows password and was told this was not recognised - that’s all. No option to say I’ve forgotten it, no option to reset it, no option to sign in as a different user.

I have tried every solution I can see online:

• Changing my Windows password.
    • Checking the keyboard language.
    • Using the onscreen keyboard.
    • Entering the troubleshooting menu using shift and restart - every single option requires my password to action, ironically.
    • Entering safe mode - again, it needs my password.
    • Turning the laptop on and and off at various points.
    • Removing my memory cards and reinserting them.
    • Typing old passwords.

None of these resolve the issue. I just end up back where I was, at the sign in screen being asked for my password. A password which I know is correct despite it telling me is incorrect.

I cannot create recovery media as I do not have another Windows device and I do not have a Windows 10 installation disc, nor do I have my original Windows installation disc from 2012 when I purchased the laptop.

I am genuinely stumped as to what to do next, save take it to a repair shop, but I’ve even seen people on these forums who have been repairing PCs for decades admit they have no idea.

Microsoft, over to you.

:)

MHLLWS, Jan 6, 2019

2. password sign in

Hi,

About your concern with typing the password after being idle, it is actually recommended to activate for security reasons.

If you wish to disable it, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Click on Sign in options.
    • On the right side, you will see required sign in.
    • Change it to Never.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Jan 6, 2019
  3. Password to sign in

Hi Rosa,

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need to know whether you are using Microsoft/Local account to sign in to Windows 10.

If you are using Microsoft account to login to Windows 10, there is no option to disable the password and sign in to Windows 10 directly without entering password.

Step 1:

If you are using Local account to login to Windows 10, you can disable the password and sign in to Windows 10 directly without entering password. Follow the below steps if you use Local account.

• Press Windows + I keys to open
      settings
      menu.

• Click on Accounts.

• Click on Change under Change your account password.

• Enter your current password and leave the other two files for new password as empty and close the windows by clicking on
      OK button.

• Sign out and try to sign in again and check.
    Step 2:

You may also create the 4 digit PIN which will reduce your time to enter full password. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows + I keys to open
      settings
      menu.

• Click on Accounts.

• Click on Add under PIN.

• Follow the onscreen instructions to create Pin.

• Sign out and try to sign in again using PIN as your Sign in option.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jan 6, 2019
  4. Cannot sign in: password no longer recognised

Password issue

After going through the steps to make a new password, after a week or two, my login credentials are no longer valid. I'm forced to make a new password all over again. It seems to happen if I don't login in a certain period of time. Does our passwords expire???

GoFigureItOut, Jan 6, 2019
Thema:

Cannot sign in: password no longer recognised

1. Cannot sign in: password no longer recognised - Similar Threads - Cannot sign password

2. password not recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    password not recognised: I successfully logged in and pressed reset to reset my computer and delete all files, but after the reset I went to log in again and it kept leading me to a black screen and saying failed login it was the right password as I used it an hour before I reset- I have now changed...
  3. password not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    password not recognised: I successfully logged in and pressed reset to reset my computer and delete all files, but after the reset I went to log in again and it kept leading me to a black screen and saying failed login it was the right password as I used it an hour before I reset- I have now changed...
  4. Not Recognising password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not Recognising password: Hi my windows 10 keeps showing automatic Repair: Your PC did not start correctly When I try to access safe mode nothing happens and when I try to enter my Microsoft password it keeps telling me The password is incorrect Try again. I have tried the password on other devices...
  5. Not Recognising password

Not Recognising password: Hi my windows 10 keeps showing automatic Repair: Your PC did not start correctly When I try to access safe mode nothing happens and when I try to enter my Microsoft password it keeps telling me The password is incorrect Try again. I have tried the password on other devices...
  6. Something Happened Pin not available. Password no longer recognised.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Something Happened Pin not available. Password no longer recognised.: After setting up a pin, very next log in....message that "something happened and pin no longer available". Set up pin link non responsive. Then when entering password, the existing password is no longer recognised so can't access command prompt or sys reset. Please help!...
  7. Something Happened Pin not available. Password no longer recognised.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Something Happened Pin not available. Password no longer recognised.: After setting up a pin, very next log in....message that "something happened and pin no longer available". Set up pin link non responsive. Then when entering password, the existing password is no longer recognised so can't access command prompt or sys reset. Please help!...
  8. Something Happened Pin not available. Password no longer recognised.

9. Bluetooth No Longer Recognised

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bluetooth No Longer Recognised: I don't use Bluetooth often, the last time I used it on my PC was in August. Unfortunately I have since updated to version 20H2 since then and the option to turn on Bluetooth no longer appears. I have tried pretty much every trouble shooting step, from updating drivers to...
  10. TomTom is no longer recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    TomTom is no longer recognised: Hi, My TomTom is no longer recognized to enable me to update the maps - it is charging via the laptop though. Tried a reset and it is still not recognized. * Original title: my tomtom is no longer recognised...