Windows 10: Cannot sign in to Microsoft account locally on Windows 10 but can sign in on Microsoft.com

Discus and support Cannot sign in to Microsoft account locally on Windows 10 but can sign in on Microsoft.com in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I can sign into my Microsoft account on the Microsoft website but not locally on Windows 10.This is stopping me from upgrading to Windows Pro.The... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by JMRandall, Jun 15, 2021.

1. JMRandall Win User

Cannot sign in to Microsoft account locally on Windows 10 but can sign in on Microsoft.com

I can sign into my Microsoft account on the Microsoft website but not locally on Windows 10.This is stopping me from upgrading to Windows Pro.The account I am trying to use is the same one I am using to post this question.I encounter the same problem when trying to add another user to this PC and when trying to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro via the Microsoft Store.

:)

JMRandall, Jun 15, 2021

2. Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?

Hi all,
    Im curious and interested to know how the rest of Tenforums members sign in to their laptops/PC's?
    In my case I only have one device with Windows 10..and thats my laptop.
    My only other device is a Smartphone which is Android.
    Im always trying to decide which is the best way to sign into my laptop and my feelings can differ month to month lol
    Are there others out there with just a laptop or PC. How do you sign in?
    I realise its a personal choice. If I had a couple of Windows devices and liked to Sync everything between the two devices then for me the choice would be clear..it would be a Microsoft Account sign in.
    In the past prior to Windows 10 I used to just use a Local Account to sign in . However since Windows 10 even with just my single laptop Ive been signing in with my Microsoft Account but Im considering now going back to a Local Account.
    I thought Microsoft were gearing everything towards the Microsoft Account sign in because they were pushing Windows 10 as a mobile operating system. I thought they might possibly even phase out the Local Account sign in so I might as well get used to the Microsoft Account sign in method..but theyve quit the phone market now so now Im not so sure.
    I would be interested in other peoples thoughts on the most appropriate laptop sign in method if you only have one Windows device

sportsfan148, Jun 15, 2021
  3. Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?

Hi Mike. Yeah..Even though I only have one Windows device (my laptop) that has been my main reason for using the Microsoft account sign in method over the Local Account sign in method. The fact that when you sign in with a Microsoft Account it links your Hardware ID-Product Key (Im not sure if its both) to your Microsoft Account so any hardware changes don't cause problems with Windows 10 Activation. I had to have a faulty motherboard replaced under my laptops warranty and because I was signed into my laptop with my Microsoft Account Automatic Windows 10 Activations weren't affected at all. I did a clean install on the laptop a few weeks later without any issues

sportsfan148, Jun 15, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Cannot sign in to Microsoft account locally on Windows 10 but can sign in on Microsoft.com

Sign in with a Microsoft account instead

Hello Wally, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It sounds like this is at step 7 in the tutorial below where it's asking you to enter your local account's password one last time.

Switch to Microsoft Account in Windows 10

Brink, Jun 15, 2021
Thema:

1. Cannot sign in to Microsoft account locally on Windows 10 but can sign in on Microsoft.com - Similar Threads - Cannot sign Microsoft

2. Microsoft sign-in as opposed to local sign-in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Microsoft sign-in as opposed to local sign-in: Recently Microsoft seems to have changed my 'users'. It is set up for a Microsoft sign-in instead of my local user sign-in. Two questions: 1. Is it possible to revert to my old local sign-in? 2. I notice that there is also something called 'new-user' in my file structure...
  3. Sign in with local account or Microsoft Account

Sign in with local account or Microsoft Account: What are the advantages of signing into my Win 10 PC using a Microsoft account versus I have been using a local account. What do I gain by using the Microsoft account?...
  4. Cannot Sign Into Microsoft Account in Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot Sign Into Microsoft Account in Windows: I cannot sign into windows account currently. I get an error Opps, something went wrong. What ever happened, it was probably our fault. Please try again. Can someone help me sign in so i can download my Nvidia control panel....
  5. Cannot sign in Microsoft account on Windows 10

Cannot sign in Microsoft account on Windows 10: Hi everyone, I tried to sign in Microsoft account instead of local account but It always show this message: How can i fix it? Thank you. [ATTACH]...
  6. Local to Microsoft Account for Win10 sign in

Local to Microsoft Account for Win10 sign in: I'm currently using a local sign in for my Win 10 Home computer. I've gone the "netplwiz.exe" route to eliminate having to sign in as I'm the only user in the home using that PC. I have several questions involving what happens if I switch and start using my Microsoft account...
  7. Cannot sign in microsoft account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot sign in microsoft account: I cannot sign in my Microsoft account from any app. The login window was empty and closed before anything showed up. The error code I got was 0x0000042b, which basically means that the program was aborted unexpectedly. Any idea on how should I solve this problem? Edit: sfc...
  8. Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?: Hi all, Im curious and interested to know how the rest of Tenforums members sign in to their laptops/PC's? In my case I only have one device with Windows 10..and thats my laptop. My only other device is a Smartphone which is Android. Im always trying to decide which is the...
  9. Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?: Hi all, Im curious and interested to know how the rest of Tenforums members sign in to their laptops/PC's? In my case I only have one device with Windows 10..and thats my laptop. My only other device is a Smartphone which is Android. Im always trying to decide which is the...
  10. Cannot Sign In to local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot Sign In to local account: Hi , I'm Used local admin for a while but yesterday i logged in to the ms store and bought some game. Now i notice that my local admin account is now linked to ms account. I have now to enter my ms account password to login , cannot change local admin password,cannot sign...