Windows 10: Cannot sign into user account with pin instead of password

Discus and support Cannot sign into user account with pin instead of password in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Build 9926, after setting up a dual install of Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, you should be able to sign into a user account (std.) using a pin instead of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Reldel, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Reldel Win User

Cannot sign into user account with pin instead of password

Build 9926, after setting up a dual install of Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, you should be able to sign into a user account (std.) using a pin instead of a password. The account uses a Microsoft account and when trying to personalize the sign-in to a pin, appears to show the normal screen progression that the pin is accepted, confirmed using the password, but the after signing out and trying to go back into the user account, no pin is offered. Only password sign in available.

Anyone else seeing this problem? Solutions? I tried going into group policy and found pin sign in by default is disabled. I enabled the policy, but that does not correct it.

:)

Reldel, Jan 24, 2015

2. How to downgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Upon install or Upgrade you either use or create a MS Account which always requires password or easier PIN, or click through several choices to select a User Account instead for which password can be left blank. If you had a User Account you need to deliberately
    change it in Settings>Accounts to use a MS Account requiring password. It cannot be invoked by signing into MS Community with a MS User Account. If you were using a MS Account on the PC then it had a password or PIN all along.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jan 24, 2015
  3. I cannot sign in with my password

Sorry about the typing. There are no other user accounts on my computer. I cannot user my microsoft password to sign in, only my pin

EileenDombrowsky, Jan 24, 2015
  4. Recnal2 Win User

I have the same problem as well

Recnal2, Jan 24, 2015
  5. Reldel Win User
    Having done a bit more research, looking in Tech Preview Feedback, the Pin not functioning is a known problem in 9926. No doubt it will have to corrected in a future build or update.

Reldel, Jan 24, 2015
  6. Reldel Win User
    One further knowledge point, if you installed Windows 10, as an upgrade over Windows 8.1.1, the Microsoft account with a PIN to sign in works as expected. Only custom installs appear to have the flaw of PIN not working to sign in.

Reldel, Jan 24, 2015
  7. I have noticed that the registry is empty at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\PINLogonEnrollme nt

CoolClownFish, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot sign into user account with pin instead of password - Similar Threads - Cannot sign user

2. Use Password Instead of PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use Password Instead of PIN: I've always used a password to sign in to Windows but recently Windows forced me to change to a numerical PIN. I have tried to change it back by going to "Sign-in options" but there is no option to come up with a password. I tried to select "Windows Hello PIN" but it says...
  3. Use Password Instead of PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use Password Instead of PIN: I've always used a password to sign in to Windows but recently Windows forced me to change to a numerical PIN. I have tried to change it back by going to "Sign-in options" but there is no option to come up with a password. I tried to select "Windows Hello PIN" but it says...
  4. Forgot Password. Cannot sign in with PIN

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Forgot Password. Cannot sign in with PIN: so when I shut down my laptop, I came back to it and tried to login with my pin. it says "your password has been changed on a different device. you must sign in to this device once your with your new password, and then you can sign in with your pin.To reset my password, i...
  5. Windows 10 asks for PIN instead of Password on Sign-in screen

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 asks for PIN instead of Password on Sign-in screen: If after updating Windows 10, and at login, you’re prompted for a PIN that you clearly never did set up on your device, you can try the solutions provided in this post to resolve this seemingly bizarre issue. [ATTACH] Windows 10 asks for PIN instead of password on Sign-in...
  6. Cannot access "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot access "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead": I cannot access "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" from my new laptop. [ATTACH] But I can access from Microfost Store App, Xbox App and OneDrive. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] I already reinstalled Windows 10, but it was not resolved. Does anyone have any ideas...
  7. Cannot add accounts or Sign in with Microsoft account instead

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot add accounts or Sign in with Microsoft account instead: I have a Windows 10 laptop with a local account. I need to add an additional account. When I try to add an account I get a popup that says "Search for app in the Store?". I get the same popup when I click on "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" on the Your info screen...
  8. Want to sign on with PIN instead of Password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Want to sign on with PIN instead of Password: I had that annoying and popular problem from HP Client Security asking me to remember passwords, so I signed onto HP Client Security to turn it off. In doing that, I put set up my Windows password. Now, no matter what settings I change (in both the HP Client Security or on...
  9. Cannot change my sign in password to pin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot change my sign in password to pin: Hi, please help me. I always signed in with a pin, but now I have to sign in with my password, and I cant change the sign in options to a pin. I have tried the steps you say, but with no success at all and Im now totally fed up with trying to change to pin. Please help...
  10. Cannot Add PIN to User Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot Add PIN to User Account: I upgraded to v1607 and lost my PIN sign-in option. I went to go add my PIN back and the "Add" button did absolutely nothing. I looked on the Microsoft answers page and it said to delete the contents of the NGC folder, so I did that too. That did not solve the problem...