Windows 10: Cannot start my PC while my Hard Drive is plugged in (Launch from SSD)

Discus and support Cannot start my PC while my Hard Drive is plugged in (Launch from SSD) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; As the title says, i'm having an issue with my Hard Drive. Firstly, when I launch from my SSD (I actually have two boot options for my SSD, a "Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by CalumChampion, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Cannot start my PC while my Hard Drive is plugged in (Launch from SSD)

As the title says, i'm having an issue with my Hard Drive.

Firstly, when I launch from my SSD (I actually have two boot options for my SSD, a "Windows Boot Drive + SSD name" and simply my SSD's name, the Boot Drive being the one I use to launch windows), I *sometimes* get a windows diagnostic error, yet, I can just click no and launch as normal using the SSD. Therefore, launch from my SSD works fine.

*If I try to run a repair from on my SSD it says it cant, and simply tells me to restart my PC, which if I do it launches fine anyway.

*It also asks me to specify which operating system I want to repair, which is odd as I only have windows installed on my SSD, not sure what this means.

But, as my SSD works fine on it's own, i'm not sure it has anything to do with the SSD.

The problem occurs when I plug in my 2TB Hard Drive. As soon as I plug in that an attempt to launch from my "Windows Boot Drive" SSD, it shows the windows loading spinning circles, and keeps doing that forever. It never launches.

When I try to launch from my Hard Drive (I have windows installed on that aswell, yet have had it on that too for a long time with no issue), it does the same thing.

My boot order always forces my SSD to be chosen first, and, I've manually booted from my SSD in my BIOS so it's not as if windows is choosing to launch from my HDD.

My BIOS does actually detect my HardDrive, but interestingly not as a boot option, only as an attached device.

Is it possible my HardDrive is dead? If so, it's not an issue buying a new one, i'd just much rather fix my BIOS settings if it can be rather than pay money I don't have to.

:)

CalumChampion, Sep 9, 2019

2. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Sep 9, 2019
  3. SSD Detected - Secondary Drive (Hard drive) is not

Ever since doing a fresh install of Windows 10, in "This PC", my secondary hard drive is not in the list. I have already tried right clicking "This PC" and clicking Manage -> Disk Management, but there is nothing there except my SSD with Windows 10 installed.

I have tried changing SATA cables, SATA ports, but it still does not appear in This PC. I have also tried installing my hard drive on a another computer to see if the files were corrupted. They were not, all files were still the same before the installation
    of Windows 10. I did not leave the hard drive plugged in during the installation.

In the BIOS, my computer recognizes both my SSD and my hard drive, but in This PC, it's still missing.

Anything else I can do? Thank you! Cannot start my PC while my Hard Drive is plugged in (Launch from SSD) :)

LitePenguins, Sep 9, 2019
  4. Mathragh Win User

Cannot start my PC while my Hard Drive is plugged in (Launch from SSD)

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Wut =D

what is that supposed to accomplish?

Mathragh, Sep 9, 2019
Thema:

Cannot start my PC while my Hard Drive is plugged in (Launch from SSD)

1. Cannot start my PC while my Hard Drive is plugged in (Launch from SSD) - Similar Threads - Cannot start while

2. Why does my keyboard not work when I start my pc with my external hard drive plugged in?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why does my keyboard not work when I start my pc with my external hard drive plugged in?: Hi, When I start my PC with my external hard drive plugged in my keyboard simply won't work even if I unplug it and plug it in again. However, if I don't have my hard drive connected when starting my PC my keyboard works just fine and I can plug the hard drive back in again...
  3. Why does my keyboard not work when I start my pc with my external hard drive plugged in?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my keyboard not work when I start my pc with my external hard drive plugged in?: Hi, When I start my PC with my external hard drive plugged in my keyboard simply won't work even if I unplug it and plug it in again. However, if I don't have my hard drive connected when starting my PC my keyboard works just fine and I can plug the hard drive back in again...
  4. Why does my keyboard not work when I start my pc with my external hard drive plugged in?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Putting an ssd into my pc that has a hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Putting an ssd into my pc that has a hard drive: If I already have windows on my hard drive that is in my pc and I am adding an ssd into the pc in addition to the preexisting hard drive, do I need to get windows on the ssd as well?...
  6. Putting an ssd into my pc that has a hard drive

Putting an ssd into my pc that has a hard drive: If I already have windows on my hard drive that is in my pc and I am adding an ssd into the pc in addition to the preexisting hard drive, do I need to get windows on the ssd as well?...
  7. Putting an ssd into my pc that has a hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. How to erase old data from my ssd that routes to hard drive that it's not longer plug.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to erase old data from my ssd that routes to hard drive that it's not longer plug.: My 1tb hdd got corrupted a few days ago, I decided to unplug it to prevent further damage while I got a replacement to transfer the data that wasn't lost. Windows is installed in a ssd so I used the disk manager to disconnect my hdd and then I unplug it from my pc after...
  9. How to erase old data from my ssd that routes to hard drive that it's not longer plug.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to erase old data from my ssd that routes to hard drive that it's not longer plug.: My 1tb hdd got corrupted a few days ago, I decided to unplug it to prevent further damage while I got a replacement to transfer the data that wasn't lost. Windows is installed in a ssd so I used the disk manager to disconnect my hdd and then I unplug it from my pc after...
  10. How to erase old data from my ssd that routes to hard drive that it's not longer plug.